• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Mac2tivo Keeps Locking Up

mwroobel

Question

I have been trying to get mac2tivo to work. It keeps locking up unfortuntely. I am on a Macbook Pro 17" with 4GB RAM and a 2.4Ghz processor. I have 10.5.6 with all the latest updates. I have tried killing all my apps. I have trie wired and wireless. I have tried sharing one folder, both local to this machine as well as AFP and SMB mounted folders. I tried a folder with 1 file, 4 files or lots of files. It doesn't seem to make a difference. I have tried sharing xvid/mp3 and xvid/ac3 avi's, x264 HD rips, VOB files and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I can see the macbook on my tivo S3 initially, with the shared files/folders. Once I initiate a transfer, it goes to the todo list, but never seems to start. When I go back to my macbook, I have the spinning beachball of death if I go to either the app or the title bar icon. The machine itself isn't locked up, just the app. Any ideas on what else I can try?

7 answers to this question

I bought Toast Titanium Pro 10 just for the Mac2Tivo capability, which I was told at MacWorld would let me transfer videos to the Tivo hard drive (the reverse of Tivo2Go).

Problem 1: I can find no documentation whatsoever about Mac2Tivo, either in the 2.8GB download or online!

Problem 2: What hints I can get seem to imply that Mac2Tivo is NOT going to move stuff back to my TiVo, it's merely going to turn my Mac into a server that the TiVo can display stuff from. If so, that's not satisfactory. I want to take my TiVo with me, not my whole computer system!

Question: How on earth does one figure anything out about Mac2Tivo??? Are there clues somewhere, or do you just try things until something works?? That sure wastes a LOT of customers' time!

Mac2Tivo is not for moving TiVo files back to the TiVo. It will convert files from a Quicktime supported format to an MPEG2 file that the TiVo can play and store on the TiVo. If the file is already in MPEG2 format the TiVo will just copy the file to the device. The resulting MPEG2 files are stored on the TiVo's Now Playing list until the user removes them.

I found a solution that works great!!

I downloaded pyTivoX and dragged it to the applications folder, and presto!

Now I can display movies on the TiVo that were stored on my Mac, exactly what I wanted.

I also got iTiVo, which does the other direction. Even though Toast's TiVo Transfer works fine, I have the impression that the free iTiVo and certainly the free pyTiVoX are far higher quality code, and have obviously far superior support. Minutes to success, instead of hours to failure!

I'm extremely happy with this solution.

I suppose I'll keep Toast 10 anyway, though I'll probably never use its new features. 9 was good enough for most things.

Thanks for the suggestion - I was getting so frustrated with the Roxio Toast 10 continually freezing up, and getting absolutely no response from Roxio Tech support... I checked out some bulleting boards and found this is the usual experience. I'm going to try pyTiVoX and if it works I'll just use that and chalk up my unfortunate Roxio purchase to experience (never again!)

I bought Toast Titanium Pro 10 just for the Mac2Tivo capability, which I was told at MacWorld would let me transfer videos to the Tivo hard drive (the reverse of Tivo2Go).

Problem 1: I can find no documentation whatsoever about Mac2Tivo, either in the 2.8GB download or online!

Problem 2: What hints I can get seem to imply that Mac2Tivo is NOT going to move stuff back to my TiVo, it's merely going to turn my Mac into a server that the TiVo can display stuff from. If so, that's not satisfactory. I want to take my TiVo with me, not my whole computer system!

Question: How on earth does one figure anything out about Mac2Tivo??? Are there clues somewhere, or do you just try things until something works?? That sure wastes a LOT of customers' time!

Mac2Tivo will only convert files that play in Quicktime. Please try one of the H264 HD encodes, if they play in quicktime, or download a trailer. See if that works. Try just one file, see if it works. Make sure the 1 file is a file that can be decoded by quicktime.

Every one of these files play fine in quicktime. It seems that mac2tivo is just a horribly written piece of code. I have now tried it on 2 macbook pros and a mac pro, all to the same end.

I found a solution that works great!!

I downloaded pyTivoX and dragged it to the applications folder, and presto!

Now I can display movies on the TiVo that were stored on my Mac, exactly what I wanted.

I also got iTiVo, which does the other direction. Even though Toast's TiVo Transfer works fine, I have the impression that the free iTiVo and certainly the free pyTiVoX are far higher quality code, and have obviously far superior support. Minutes to success, instead of hours to failure!

I'm extremely happy with this solution.

I suppose I'll keep Toast 10 anyway, though I'll probably never use its new features. 9 was good enough for most things.

I have been trying to get mac2tivo to work. It keeps locking up unfortuntely. I am on a Macbook Pro 17" with 4GB RAM and a 2.4Ghz processor. I have 10.5.6 with all the latest updates. I have tried killing all my apps. I have trie wired and wireless. I have tried sharing one folder, both local to this machine as well as AFP and SMB mounted folders. I tried a folder with 1 file, 4 files or lots of files. It doesn't seem to make a difference. I have tried sharing xvid/mp3 and xvid/ac3 avi's, x264 HD rips, VOB files and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I can see the macbook on my tivo S3 initially, with the shared files/folders. Once I initiate a transfer, it goes to the todo list, but never seems to start. When I go back to my macbook, I have the spinning beachball of death if I go to either the app or the title bar icon. The machine itself isn't locked up, just the app. Any ideas on what else I can try?

Mac2Tivo will only convert files that play in Quicktime. Please try one of the H264 HD encodes, if they play in quicktime, or download a trailer. See if that works. Try just one file, see if it works. Make sure the 1 file is a file that can be decoded by quicktime.

Archived