Download Manager Failure

RFB

Question

I bought Creator 2009, downloaded the download manager, started it, then I IMMEDIATELY stopped it.

The problem now is I can't start it again.

It says:

"Didn't find any files remaining to do! Download Manager is finished!"

But its NOT finished. No way. I have tried my best to find the supposed file to delete it and start over, but I can't seem to. What's going on? Why can't I just start the download over again?

5 answers to this question

Call Customer Service.

Yes, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Thanks.

I have to say, its a very, very, VERY poorly written "download manager" if it fails to resume properly when the process is interrupted.

Yes, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Thanks.

I have to say, its a very, very, VERY poorly written "download manager" if it fails to resume properly when the process is interrupted.

Do you still have the zip file? If so, delete the unzipped manager, and unzip the zip file again, and try it.

Do you still have the zip file? If so, delete the unzipped manager, and unzip the zip file again, and try it.

All I have is the file "RoxioCreator2009_DownloadManager.exe". I can't tell if it is a self-extracting ZIP archive or just a simple executable file, but there is nothing to "unzip. I cannot extract anything from it, and when I simply run the file, it always gives me the above error message.

It seems either the download manager has written a status file somewhere that I can't find it, or the Roxio file server has incorrectly set the status to "completed." I think its something written to my PC, because I unplugged the network to see if it was going out to the server for the status, but I get the same result. There must be something on the hard drive that it thinks is the completed download file, or something in the registry that's telling it not to download anything.

I found a solution.

I used Windows System Restore to restore back to a point before I started messing around with Roxio, and that seemed to work. I could restart the download again. This proves to me there is a bug in the download manager. It should never think its done unless its really done!

Something must have been written to the registry or to the disk that the download manager checks to see if the download is complete. But writing this information before the download is actually confirmed, completed, verified and checksumed is a basic programming mistake as far as I'm concerned.

I hope this helps someone else in the future, and I hope Roxio takes another look at their software!

Archived