• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Any additional info on result code -5001 ?

romulox

Question

Before joining, I searched for the error code and found 4 or 5 hits with no definitive solution and I'm wondering if anyone had new info.

I'm running a macbook pro (10.4.6) and have the external Lacie d2 (model 300978) and am using the included Toast Lite 6.1

A test burn of some data written to Memorex DL media was successful until the end. I received the Result Code -5001 error, but I wasn't paying attention to when it occured. The dvd mounts fine and data on the media seems fine as well. No errors were reported in the colsole log.

A test burn of data on Memorex 16x single layer media worked fine through the end. This time I watched the process of what happens during a burn with Toast and deduced my particular -5001 error on DL media must have come from the verification process (if writing the leadout failed, I suspect I would not be able to read the dvd).

My questions:

1) is this type of error just expected sometimes? I don't want to waste DL media to find out.

2) Can I disable verification to get around this? My workaround would be use to an md5 checksummer before and after the burn.

3) Does this error go beyond the verification process (meaning - did I get lucky by the fact I can still read the data)?

4) Maybe media or firmware problems?

Thanks, and sorry for the long posting.

2 answers to this question

I get this error code every time I write a DVD using Popcorn. Always. However, it has no effect on the product -- it is still as usable movie, just as it would otherwise have been.

Still it is irritating.

I run OS X 10.4.6.

- Soproni

Before joining, I searched for the error code and found 4 or 5 hits with no definitive solution and I'm wondering if anyone had new info.

I'm running a macbook pro (10.4.6) and have the external Lacie d2 (model 300978) and am using the included Toast Lite 6.1

A test burn of some data written to Memorex DL media was successful until the end. I received the Result Code -5001 error, but I wasn't paying attention to when it occured. The dvd mounts fine and data on the media seems fine as well. No errors were reported in the colsole log.

A test burn of data on Memorex 16x single layer media worked fine through the end. This time I watched the process of what happens during a burn with Toast and deduced my particular -5001 error on DL media must have come from the verification process (if writing the leadout failed, I suspect I would not be able to read the dvd).

My questions:

1) is this type of error just expected sometimes? I don't want to waste DL media to find out.

2) Can I disable verification to get around this? My workaround would be use to an md5 checksummer before and after the burn.

3) Does this error go beyond the verification process (meaning - did I get lucky by the fact I can still read the data)?

4) Maybe media or firmware problems?

Thanks, and sorry for the long posting.

I suggest selecting a drive speed from the pop-up instead of using "Best". That will force the drive to select the speed. This error has is a problem with the drive and media, and I've found that by selecting the speed that the drive and media support that it works better.

This should be fixed in a firmware update by the drive.

Memorex DVD are useless. I suggest getting something better. Only DL media I would use is Verbatim.

Archived