• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Compressing Video Files On Creator 2009

Ulmdog

Question

I RECENTLY BOUGHT THIS PRODUCT AND FOUND IT EASY TO USE. HOWEVER, I HAVE A SONY HI8MM CAMCORDER THAT I AM TRANSFERRING TAPES TO MY HARD DRIVE. A 120 MINUTE TAPE TAKES ABOUT 24GB!!! IS THERE ANY WAY TO COMPRESS THESE FILES? IN ADDITION IT TAKES ABOUT THAT SAME PERIOD TO BURN A DVD AFTER DATA HAS BEEN DOWNLOADED. DOES THIS SOUND CORRECT?

5 answers to this question

Yes, that sounds correct in file size and time. You could capture using MPEG 2 which is much smaller than DV AVI, but ifyou are going to do lots of editing (cuts, transtions, effect, and titles), you are much better off with DV AVI as it is faster to edit and it is less compressed.

When editing higher compressed files, there is always the possibility of losing video quality. DV AVI will be compressed to MPEG 2 when the video disc is created and burned. For best quality, only burn one hour of video to a single layer 4.GB disc. About twice that on 8.5GB dual layer disc.

How would I go about using MPEG2? I don't plan on doing much editing at this point?

How would I go about using MPEG2? I don't plan on doing much editing at this point?

Open Video Wave, add the mpg2 file there and do whatever editing you want. Save the file. Open MyDVD and add that mpg2 file (and any others you want on the disc) to the menu.

If you plan not to do any editing, then just add the mpg2 files to the My DVD menu. I can't believe that you don't want to cut out something - like pointing the camera at the ground, or someone who got into the video by accident.

Remember 1 hour at best quality; up to two House at reduced quality. External hard drives to save the files are pretty cheap now-a-days.

Assuming that you are using the Roxio USB capture device - in the upper left corner there is a drop down for file type. YOu shold have a choice between DV AVI and MPEG 2 capture. Just choose MPEG2 and then follow what Steve posted.

Yes, that sounds correct in file size and time. You could capture using MPEG 2 which is much smaller than DV AVI, but ifyou are going to do lots of editing (cuts, transtions, effect, and titles), you are much better off with DV AVI as it is faster to edit and it is less compressed.

When editing higher compressed files, there is always the possibility of losing video quality. DV AVI will be compressed to MPEG 2 when the video disc is created and burned. For best quality, only burn one hour of video to a single layer 4.GB disc. About twice that on 8.5GB dual layer disc.

I RECENTLY BOUGHT THIS PRODUCT AND FOUND IT EASY TO USE. HOWEVER, I HAVE A SONY HI8MM CAMCORDER THAT I AM TRANSFERRING TAPES TO MY HARD DRIVE. A 120 MINUTE TAPE TAKES ABOUT 24GB!!! IS THERE ANY WAY TO COMPRESS THESE FILES? IN ADDITION IT TAKES ABOUT THAT SAME PERIOD TO BURN A DVD AFTER DATA HAS BEEN DOWNLOADED. DOES THIS SOUND CORRECT?

I would also recommend capturing to 15 minute segments or so. Makes it much easier when editing since you can edit the segaments separately and they can be combined seamlessly for your final project. If something goes wrong when working on a project using the whole long file you might lose everything while if working with smaller projects you only lost a "little bit"

BTW, unless you have a visual problem, please turn off the caps-lock. It is considered "shouting"

Archived