• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Can Not Capture Using AVI Setting

wareagl487

Question

I'm transfering tape from my Sony DCR HC 40 trying to transfer using the AVI setting. Once the tape is complete and transfer ends - I get a box with a big ? in it. File can not be read or edited using Roxio. It also can not be played - even using windows media player. I've looked at the files and there is information there as they are quite large. Transfer appears to work using the MPEG setting and are able to be played.

What am I missing here?

Andy W.

Go ahead and download WinDV. Capture about 5min to DV AVI file and see if that file is recognized ok.

I did as you suggested Gary - Yes - the file Is Reconized by Windows Media Player - But Not Reconized By Roxio! Still the same O with the slash.

Next step is to uninstall and start back up from scratch I guess.....

Andy W.

Many times when one suggests they have "Un-installed" a program from their computer (assume they use MS control Panel/Add/remove programs) that doesn't necessarily remove all files that were added when the program was initially installed. "DLL" files are most of the time the real culprets that cause other programs from not working. This happens when a new program is installed and it changes some of the DLL files to the ones it's program need to run properly and in so doing will have effects on the other programs that use that same DLL file. DLL files are not placed in every programs file system just for that program when it is installed. DLL files are Shared by Windows for all programs requiring it. And they aren't always the same !!!

So, getting rid of or "un-installing" iTunes probably didn't get rid of all the new files it added to the Windows system. And un-installing EMC and re-installing it won't help this matter as those same old files that are causing the problem will still be there. Maybe Bruce is right---It's time to do a "FORMAT C: and start all over. That's a big task which no one wants to do but sometimes it worth it to get a clean install and get everything back in good shape. It's either that or going through a very detailed look at everythng in the Registry to make sure any program thought to be causing the problem, really has been completely removed.

Frank....

Guest mlpasley

I know what you're seeing because it has happened to me. In my case, that question mark meant that something had gone wrong with the capture at the very end.

In your case, I'm wondering if your file association was changed by Quicktime from Windows Media Player to Quicktime. It's possible that they've changed the settings so that only Quicktime can play it. Check under Windows\ My documents (or Windows Explorer) \ Tools\ Folder Options\ File Types.

For the red slash, read this http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=3940

No other editing software on the computer - but I do have Hauppauge WinTV on the computer - and it also not working... I don't know if this is related or not. :)

Last night I downloaded an AVI from my camera and burned a short 5-minute CD with a straight copy command. Same story - as before at home - wouldn't play. I brought it is to work on DVD and tried the AVI And It Played. So that is telling me it is isolated to my home computer in some way.

I got more support from Roxio in that they shot the ticket up to Tier 2 Support - whatever that is. They asked I send what my default codec is and also a list of codecs installed (via Sherlock).

Maybe I'm finally getting somewhere now - I'm awaiting an answer from them today - Hopefully.

Andy W.

Ok - I updated to WMM 2.0 - Tried to opening old AVI's - I didn't work. So next I tried importing through WMM in AVI format and got the following error:

G:\Video\Dowload\A. Green Wedding\Untitled_0001.avi could not be imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted.

Import using WMV file format comes through fine.

Also updated all Windows components through Microsoft hoping that would help.

Another interesting fact - I burned a short segment of imported video, burned it straight to a DVD and tried it on my work computer - and it played....Would not play @ home.

Dang - I'm lost.....

Andy W.

Ok - I updated to WMM 2.0 - Tried to opening old AVI's - I didn't work. So next I tried importing through WMM in AVI format and got the following error:

Import using WMV file format comes through fine.

Also updated all Windows components through Microsoft hoping that would help.

Another interesting fact - I burned a short segment of imported video, burned it straight to a DVD and tried it on my work computer - and it played....Would not play @ home.

Dang - I'm lost.....

Andy W.

I gave you a solution, earlier in this thread. If you can't find what has taken control of your computer, a Format C:/ is in order.

burned it straight to a DVD and tried it on my work computer - and it played....Would not play @ home.
That could be the media. When you played it at home, was it on a computer or DVD player? Some earlier DVD players can be picky about the brand of media used. Some won't read -R and some won't read +R. You need to check the manual or the manufacturer's website. Most newer DVD players will accept most types. However really cheap blank DVDs can still cause problems.

Sounds like you had not aplied all the updates before. EMC8 was designed for WinXP SP2 although it may work on earlier versions of WinXP. Parts of EMC uses IE6 so it is important to apply all IE6 updates including security patches. For video, we can not stress enough how important it is to have updated video drivers and DirectX.

Success!!!!

I stumbled across a codec pack - ACE Mega Codec Pack and thought I would give it a try - had tried others without success. IT WORKED!!!

All Videos Are Playing Fine!!!

Thanks To All here who have lent their time and expertise in trying to solve this problem!!!

Pass this tip along (as I will) if another problem like this crops up.

Andy W.

Well - I may have to do a Format C - as Roxio support has so far been no help. This is the latest exchange...

This error message means you have part of the .AVI missing. If it wn't play its an important part, sometimes the program will skip over missing or damaged spots in the coding.

You may find AVIMaster (http://www.thozie.de/avimaster) useful, which focuses on parsing and reconstructing the structure of AVIs (and I’m quite proud what it ingests) and issuing warnings on conformance. So you get a report on the file, statistics and all, and if necessary an as good as possible remake. Warning: command line utility…

If the information provided does not resolve your issue simply update your webticket with a detailed explanation with the steps you have tried and any error messages you receive.

And my reply:

So you are telling me that ALL the AVI's on my computer are damaged - whether created by Roxio or not? What is the possibility of that???? NOTHING WITH AN .AVI EXTENSION IS RECOGNIZABLE BY ROXIO - NADA - NONE - ZIP!!! ALL DOWNLOADS BY ROXIO ARE NOT PLAYABLE BY ANY PROGRAM!!!! I have used WinDV to test to see if it is the download proccess - it works and they play fine in WMP & DivX Player - BUT ARE NOT RECOGNIZED BY ROXIO!!!! This all started when I upgraded to 7.5 to a certain extent and has become IMPOSSIBLE on 8.0!! I tried your little program and all it did was eat up disc space - files created by ROXIO were not fixed nor viewable in any program. This is getting Real Old - FAST!!!

It is getting old fast.....

Andy W.

Ok - This is where I stand as of today.

I have contacted Roxio through their support web link and they suggested I downlaod Divx player - which I did. Did not help at all - still get the "No" sign for ALL AVI's. Some older downloads will play through DivX player - but present downlaods (AVI's) get an error:

aviparser:: parsechunktree() unhandled fcc type: iavs in strf - I've reported it to Roxio to see if this gives them any clue.

What ever this means. I've used Gspot to see if there is a Codec missing - and it won't even reconize the file.

I have unistalled Qtime as suggested.

I have unistalled -reinstalled Roxio.

MPEG downlaods work - AVI's don't.

The web ticket to Roxio is 5-days old without further communication from them. :huh:

I am at my wit's end!!! :)

If I don't get resolution next week - I will ask for a refund.

Andy W.

Ok - This is where I stand as of today.

I have contacted Roxio through their support web link and they suggested I downlaod Divx player - which I did. Did not help at all - still get the "No" sign for ALL AVI's. Some older downloads will play through DivX player - but present downlaods (AVI's) get an error:

aviparser:: parsechunktree() unhandled fcc type: iavs in strf - I've reported it to Roxio to see if this gives them any clue.

What ever this means. I've used Gspot to see if there is a Codec missing - and it won't even reconize the file.

I have unistalled Qtime as suggested.

I have unistalled -reinstalled Roxio.

MPEG downlaods work - AVI's don't.

The web ticket to Roxio is 5-days old without further communication from them. :huh:

I am at my wit's end!!! :)

If I don't get resolution next week - I will ask for a refund.

Andy W.

If Gspot won't even recognize the files, then the software is not your problem. Your files are your problem.

Thanks Garry - I ran another program (part of my exhaustive search) to see what codecs were valid after downloading that fix - Most were not - but the one my computer needed was one of the few I must have needed. It is not a fix for everyone - but was for me.

Bruce - I wasn't ignoring your advice - A Format C was in the cards only once all alternates were explored...I was just about there....

Thanks Again !!!

Andy W.

Agreed - The file(s) produced by Roxio are the problem!!

As suggested. I downloaded WinDV - It caputers the vidio in AVI - plays in DivX & Windows Media player but still the Big Red "NO" sign for the same file in Roxio. Not only doesn't Roxio reconize the files dowloaded through it - it reconizes NO AVI Files what-so-ever!!

My money is on a hic-up in the Roxio software.

Andy W.

Are you using firewire or just the included USB cable? For best results, you need to be using Firewire. The included USB cable is for tranferring still images and connecting the camcorder as a 'webcam'.

I'm using FireWire.... MPEG's are coming through fine..... It is the AVI's that are not useable... Same connection for each..... Strange....

Andy W.

Ok.... Now this is getting REAL STRANGE...

The AVI's aren't reconized by Windows Media Player, Not by Roxio.... But Will Come Up in QuickTime.... What's up with that????? I've also tryed older AVI's previously downloaded before..... Same as above....

Andy W.

Ok.... Now this is getting REAL STRANGE...

The AVI's aren't reconized by Windows Media Player, Not by Roxio.... But Will Come Up in QuickTime.... What's up with that????? I've also tryed older AVI's previously downloaded before..... Same as above....

Andy W.

Wow! Are you using the Roxio software to capture? It looks like something is wrong in your settings, if Apple is the only thing that can play the captured files. Yikes.

I have no clue what is going on, but I would do a virus check and get rid of any adware/spyware on my computer. Something sure isn't right.

Thanks Garry - I ran another program (part of my exhaustive search) to see what codecs were valid after downloading that fix - Most were not - but the one my computer needed was one of the few I must have needed. It is not a fix for everyone - but was for me.

Bruce - I wasn't ignoring your advice - A Format C was in the cards only once all alternates were explored...I was just about there....

Thanks Again !!!

Andy W.

No problem, Andy. The main thing is that you are up and running now.

Archived