Burned Results Quality In Creator 2009

jpiwaron

Question

First, thanks to everyone that helped me get Creator 2009 working.

But now I've got some questions. I'm a bit confused.

I can edit a 1 hour program recorded from a high def OTA source and reduce it to about 45 minutes and get a beautiful AVCHD burn onto a single layer DVD -R. I use Taiyo Yuden disks. Nice. No complaints.

1) I don't understand the "Fit to disk" part of the process. It would seem that regardless of file size or number of minutes, that if the "Fit to disk" option is chosen and active that the project should fit onto the disk. Yet it appears that that doesn't happen.

2) I recorded a 2 hour program from a SD source, edited it down to about 1 1/2 hours. I opend MyDVD through the home screen and did a DVD project. With menus. I burned an ISO with the results to go onto said single layer Taiyo Yuden disk.

The problem is that the results look not so good. Everything worked as advertised, but the results look worse than EP mode VHS. That's an overstatement, but probably in the digital world I may need to learn some new terminology. What I'm seeing is that it there appear to be a lot of jagged edges. Edges that one might fairly say should be straight, like the corner of a building or a smooth curve like the edge of a hat are instead stepped or jagged.

What can I do to improve the results? The original file as recorded looks o.k. As "o.k." as an SD recording can be. I expected the lower resolution of SD, just not the jaggy edges or what sometimes looks as a pixelated picture.

Maybe there's something in the codec? Is there a site to explain all that? Maybe I'm not explaining this right or my expectations are wrong.

Can anyone help with what to do to improve the results of my burns?

8 answers to this question

It isn't just the resolution but the bitrate has a big factor… (not avalable in AVCHD)

Best DVD quality is at 9mbps. That will yield 1 hour on a 4.7Gb DVD.

Quality is subjective, but 1 1/2 hours on a DVD is nothing I want to look at.

I don't have any idea how much time of a AVCHD will fit on a 4.7Gb disc at best quality but I think around 40 minutes.

Other factors – Menus Audio Intro, Chapters, all of these eat away space.

I don't know what you mean by "OTA recording" but you can assume nothing!

But make notes, and let us know.

It isn't just the resolution but the bitrate has a big factor… (not avalable in AVCHD)

Best DVD quality is at 9mbps. That will yield 1 hour on a 4.7Gb DVD.

Quality is subjective, but 1 1/2 hours on a DVD is nothing I want to look at.

I don't have any idea how much time of a AVCHD will fit on a 4.7Gb disc at best quality but I think around 40 minutes.

Other factors – Menus Audio Intro, Chapters, all of these eat away space.

I don't know what you mean by "OTA recording" but you can assume nothing!

But make notes, and let us know.

OTA = Over/Off The Air?

I NEVER use the Fit to Disc, for quality. It is the default setting, and I ALWAYS change that setting to High Quality (HQ), even if I know that it is over an hour long.

I then burn to an image file, or Folder Set, then burn that to a DVD, using Video Copy & Convert, which will make it fit on a standard 4.7GB DVD. The quality is better than using Fit to Disc.

I NEVER use the Fit to Disc, for quality. It is the default setting, and I ALWAYS change that setting to High Quality (HQ), even if I know that it is over an hour long.

I then burn to an image file, or Folder Set, then burn that to a DVD, using Video Copy & Convert, which will make it fit on a standard 4.7GB DVD. The quality is better than using Fit to Disc.

Lemme see if I understand.

When I'm choosing options in MyDVD, recorded quality among them, I select some other "speed", HQ for example, then go ahead and burn the ISO even though the bar on the bottom as well as the line of data above it indicate that I'm going over the capacity for the kind of disk I say I'll be using? I haven't tried the Folder set option yet. I don't yet know what that means, but I'm sure I'll find out.

All of that results in a regular DVD (or even AVCHD) that is "smoother" albeit at DVDs relatively lower resolution than HD?

Lemme see if I understand.

When I'm choosing options in MyDVD, recorded quality among them, I select some other "speed", HQ for example, then go ahead and burn the ISO even though the bar on the bottom as well as the line of data above it indicate that I'm going over the capacity for the kind of disk I say I'll be using? I haven't tried the Folder set option yet. I don't yet know what that means, but I'm sure I'll find out.

All of that results in a regular DVD (or even AVCHD) that is "smoother" albeit at DVDs relatively lower resolution than HD?

Yes, to your first question.

As far as AVCHD, I don't know, for sure. I only have SD widescreen (16:9) .avis, from my Sony HandyCam, and I use the High Quality (HQ) setting, always.

In a DVD the images will never be better than 720 X 480.

In a AVCHD Project set to HQ the DVD disc will be at 1920 X 1080 Progressive.

Keep in mind that the output rendering quality will never be better than the source… You put a 320 X 160 mpg in there and it will look like Lego blocks on your screen!

Grab some DVD RW's and do a quick test. Put in a couple of pictures that are 4mb or better, a HD mpg and a SD mpg.

Keep the whole thing down to under 4 or 5 minutes. Make one as a HQ DVD another as a HQ AVCHD.

Watch them in awe :lol:

In a DVD the images will never be better than 720 X 480.

In a AVCHD Project set to HQ the DVD disc will be at 1920 X 1080 Progressive.

Keep in mind that the output rendering quality will never be better than the source… You put a 320 X 160 mpg in there and it will look like Lego blocks on your screen!

Grab some DVD RW's and do a quick test. Put in a couple of pictures that are 4mb or better, a HD mpg and a SD mpg.

Keep the whole thing down to under 4 or 5 minutes. Make one as a HQ DVD another as a HQ AVCHD.

Watch them in awe :lol:

Right. I'll be testing. Trying things out. And with just a few minutes of program material to keep the time to test/experiment down.

That said, the stuff I'm referring to is OTA recordings. Isn't NTSC SD material 720 x 480 already? I wouldn't expect to see any of that stairstepping or jagged edges. What I think I should be seeing is a progressively grainier image as I use a progressively worse quality setting. The same as happens with my standalone DVD recorder.

What I did was put an 1 1/2 hour long SD program, recorded from OTA onto a DVD. About the same as I've always done with that standalone. When I put the resulting disk into my Blu Ray player connected to my HD TV in the living room, I saw those jagged edges. I thought it might be some kind of problem with that arrangement, so I put it into a DVD player attached to an NTSC TV and see the same thing. For sure I don't think that should be happening there.

Surely a DVD can easily hold 1 1/2 hours of SD material. An hour and half of HD material, probably not.

Anyway, I've got some experimenting and learning to do. Any advise you or anyone else her can give is welcome.

Archived