Another Roxio Usb Problem: Not Found In "plug & Burn"

newbie2

Question

hope you can help in this perplexing problem...

bought the roxio creator 2009 special edition with usb video capture device from costco this christmas in hopes of transfering my vhs tapes to dvd.

read through the previous posts and installed roxio and usb device drive cleanly. I downloaded and installed sp2 for roxio create 2009 special edition too. Even removed the device, restarted machine and plugged it back in to force the driver to reload. Looking at Device manager, it lists the USB Capture Device driver in the video/audio group and driver manufacturer as eMPIA Technology. It also lists the USB 2861 device too.

I can import and capture video from my vcr to computer/hard drive from the Capture Vidoe functions in Roxio. My dropdown list of import devices shows "USB 2861 Device" as the only capture device. I start up the vcr to play the tape and can see the video in the display screen. When I click on "capture", roxio begins to create the video file. In fact, I've created a 11gb file for my 13 minute video.

However, I want to be able to create a dvd from my vhs/vcr directly, without having to create huge files on my hard drive.

I tried "Plug and Burn" but when getting to Step #2, there are no devices listed in the drop down list for capture devices.

It seems odd that I can capture video through the "video capture" feature but not with "plug and burn", which I really want to do, given space and time. Descriptions on the box seem to say you can.

help!

11 answers to this question

USB cannot be used for Plug & Burn, a Firewire is required.

For a 1 hour DVD you will need about 10Gb of free space.

Much thanks for your reply and apologies that I didn't read further down in the posts where this topic was brought up...and probably again and again.

Reading the box and descriptions, I thought I could transfer my library of family vhs's to dvd quickly and easlier. I'd been on the look out for video capture cards, dvd recorders or software for years to easily do this. Thought that Roxio had finally came up with a good solution all-in-one package.

But guess I was wrong. I have a good number of vhs's that i want to transfer to dvd. Given the disk space, time, quality of video capture and 2-step proces that is currently used on creator 9 w usb video capture device, roxio doesn't match up. If you want to load your vhs and other video to hard drive for video editing, it's great (though disk hungry). But for simple transfer, it might be more cost effective to buy a dvd recorder and transfer from your vcr to recorder. DVD recorders seem to be coming down in price and even saw a Toshiba model that was well rated by CNET for $66 at Circuit City! Even simpler, Costco offers vhs to dvd transfer services now.

Sorry for the complaining, but roxio creator 2009 special edition was really disappointing.

But here's question.

Roxio announced "vhs-to-dvd" in december 2008 for about $60. It includes the same USB video capture device that is included in special edition. But this software claims to burn vhs tapes directly from vcr to dvd, using some wizard.

So, same USB video capture device from same company?...how does this work?

And why can't special edition owners get a copy of the software that allows this happen?

ok...i'll stop the ranting, but really frustrated and feel like i got stuck with some bum software/hardware package. I would return roxio asap to Costco, if possible. but think they have a non-return policy once you break the seal on the disks, etc.

ugh...that was a chunk of change down the drain...

thanks again for all replies (and hoping that whatever allows vhs-to-dvd to work, can happen for creator 2009).

Roxio announced "vhs-to-dvd" in december 2008 for about $60. It includes the same USB video capture device that is included in special edition. But this software claims to burn vhs tapes directly from vcr to dvd, using some wizard.
Are you sure that is what it says or just hoping? If it just says 'vhs to dvd', that doesn't mean directly to disc. As far as I know, VHS to DVD is exactly the same applications that you have already. It's just Creator 2009 with some of the additional applications gone.

But it doesn't have to be that complicated.

Capture your tapes to MPEG 2 instead of DV AVI (to save space. Doesn't matter to burn a disc)

Open MyDVD and create a project with no menu.

Point to the files and click burn.

That is about as simple as it can get.

Much thanks for your reply and apologies that I didn't read further down in the posts where this topic was brought up...and probably again and again.

Reading the box and descriptions, I thought I could transfer my library of family vhs's to dvd quickly and easlier. I'd been on the look out for video capture cards, dvd recorders or software for years to easily do this. Thought that Roxio had finally came up with a good solution all-in-one package.

But guess I was wrong. I have a good number of vhs's that i want to transfer to dvd. Given the disk space, time, quality of video capture and 2-step proces that is currently used on creator 9 w usb video capture device, roxio doesn't match up. If you want to load your vhs and other video to hard drive for video editing, it's great (though disk hungry). But for simple transfer, it might be more cost effective to buy a dvd recorder and transfer from your vcr to recorder. DVD recorders seem to be coming down in price and even saw a Toshiba model that was well rated by CNET for $66 at Circuit City! Even simpler, Costco offers vhs to dvd transfer services now.

Sorry for the complaining, but roxio creator 2009 special edition was really disappointing.

But here's question.

So, same USB video capture device from same company?...how does this work?

And why can't special edition owners get a copy of the software that allows this happen?

ok...i'll stop the ranting, but really frustrated and feel like i got stuck with some bum software/hardware package. I would return roxio asap to Costco, if possible. but think they have a non-return policy once you break the seal on the disks, etc.

ugh...that was a chunk of change down the drain...

thanks again for all replies (and hoping that whatever allows vhs-to-dvd to work, can happen for creator 2009).

The Special Edition is not sold by Roxio but only through Club Stores like CostCo.

Obviously now Roxio has done some tinkering to that package, created a Wizard and is marketing it as "VHS-to_DVD".

If you do not want to do any editing and only want a VHS-to-DVD transfer, a VCR-DVD Recorder is propably the best way to go.

Are you sure that is what it says or just hoping? If it just says 'vhs to dvd', that doesn't mean directly to disc. As far as I know, VHS to DVD is exactly the same applications that you have already. It's just Creator 2009 with some of the additional applications gone.

But it doesn't have to be that complicated.

Capture your tapes to MPEG 2 instead of DV AVI (to save space. Doesn't matter to burn a disc)

Open MyDVD and create a project with no menu.

Point to the files and click burn.

That is about as simple as it can get.

This Tutorial definitely implies that its "more or less" direct to DVD. I think that this topic cam up once before and it was concluded that "VHS-to-DVD" does include a Wizard that effectively simulates "Plug&Burn".

The video does get captured first to a hard drive before it gets burned. It does not burn as it captures.

The Special Edition is not sold by Roxio but only through Club Stores like CostCo.

Obviously now Roxio has done some tinkering to that package, created a Wizard and is marketing it as "VHS-to_DVD".

If you do not want to do any editing and only want a VHS-to-DVD transfer, a VCR-DVD Recorder is propably the best way to go.

thanks for your speedy reply and sorry to sound so negative...it's probably my stupidity in not reading between the lines. should have known that unless explicitly stated (directly burns vhs tapes to dvd), it wouldn't do it.

Roxio 9 was installed on my machine already and thought the upgrade to 2009, along with getting the usb video capture device would cover all the bases. that was dumb.

Thanks for the suggestion for capturing to mpeg format instead of avi and will give it a try. Watching the mb and gb's roll up and up on the video capture was like watching the gas pump when it was $4/gallon! I only captured 12 minutes of video and created a 10GB file!

I don't want to give up on this, given how much I've chipped in. Given that the usb video capture device was packaged up in this costco creation, making the wizard and whatever extra's for download to usb video capture owners would make for happy and satisfied, registered roxio owners.

got no problem with ease of use and good coverage of nice features. user interface is fine and very easy.

just don't want to feel ripped off when this functionality seems to exist.

again, apologies for the ranting and thanks for the very helpful suggestions!

thanks for your speedy reply and sorry to sound so negative...it's probably my stupidity in not reading between the lines. should have known that unless explicitly stated (directly burns vhs tapes to dvd), it wouldn't do it.

Roxio 9 was installed on my machine already and thought the upgrade to 2009, along with getting the usb video capture device would cover all the bases. that was dumb.

Thanks for the suggestion for capturing to mpeg format instead of avi and will give it a try. Watching the mb and gb's roll up and up on the video capture was like watching the gas pump when it was $4/gallon! I only captured 12 minutes of video and created a 10GB file!

I don't want to give up on this, given how much I've chipped in. Given that the usb video capture device was packaged up in this costco creation, making the wizard and whatever extra's for download to usb video capture owners would make for happy and satisfied, registered roxio owners.

got no problem with ease of use and good coverage of nice features. user interface is fine and very easy.

just don't want to feel ripped off when this functionality seems to exist.

again, apologies for the ranting and thanks for the very helpful suggestions!

If you got a 10GB file (avi I presume) for 12 minutes of video then there is something wrong. Generally 1 hour of avi video gives about a 12-14GB file.

Actually I don't think the "VHS-to-DVD" is much different from the CostCo version: you still cannot start capturing from the VCR, walk away and come back to a burned DVD. There is still user action involved except that the user interaction has propably been dumbed down to the most basic level by one of thoses annoying wizards.

Archived