Toast 9 Dvd Playback Appears Split Up

DAUC

Question

I am having a problem with Toast 9. I tried to burn a DVD, on best quality and auto encoding, and it seems to have kind of worked. When trying to play the DVD, the titles came up and the movie started, but the movie did not show up right. The problem is with the actual image being played back. It seems to be cut into three pieces, with the center portion of what should be the full correct playback on the left of the screen, and the remaining left and right portions of the video displaying pushed together and on the right side of the screen. The resolution seems fine, and the audio/ video timing is also fine. This was the first time I have tried to use Toast, and do not want to try again with the same outcome. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

5 answers to this question

I am using Toast Titanium 9.0.4. I have the movie as an .avi on my computer and it plays correctly through both Quicktime and VLC on my macbook pro. I have heard of some playback errors, but none like this. When I drag the movie into Toast it displays "Video: DivX, 664 x 268, 23.98 fps Audio: MPEG Layer-3 Audio, 48000 Hz" for the movie information.

Also put the burned disk to try to play it on my computer. Did not have any problems viewing it there, but the audio/ video alignment was off by about 2 seconds. Could it be the dvd player that was causing the original playback problem? especially since it did not repeat the problem when the dvd was played from my computer. What can I do about the alignment issue? Thanks again.

I am using Toast Titanium 9.0.4. I have the movie as an .avi on my computer and it plays correctly through both Quicktime and VLC on my macbook pro. I have heard of some playback errors, but none like this. When I drag the movie into Toast it displays "Video: DivX, 664 x 268, 23.98 fps Audio: MPEG Layer-3 Audio, 48000 Hz" for the movie information.

There shouldn't be a problem with that file. What I wanted to know is does the burned DVD have the same play back problem on both the Mac (using DVD Player) and your standalone DVD Player. It is possible your player is having trouble reading from the brand of media you used.

Something to test is to choose Save as Disc Image rather than clicking the burn button in Toast. When the disc image is finished, select it using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window. When the image mounts it should launch DVD Player where you can preview the video. If the play back is correct there then the problem is with the disc media and not with the Toast authoring.

There shouldn't be a problem with that file. What I wanted to know is does the burned DVD have the same play back problem on both the Mac (using DVD Player) and your standalone DVD Player. It is possible your player is having trouble reading from the brand of media you used.

Something to test is to choose Save as Disc Image rather than clicking the burn button in Toast. When the disc image is finished, select it using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window. When the image mounts it should launch DVD Player where you can preview the video. If the play back is correct there then the problem is with the disc media and not with the Toast authoring.

There is not a problem with that file. Sorry, I should have been more specific. I did try to play the dvd in my computer. It did not have the same problem. It displayed just at it should have, but the audio video alignment was off. The dvd player that I was using is an older Bose surround unit, which could be part of the reason. I am going to try to a different DVD player soon. Any suggestions on the alignment issue? Thanks

Is the audio/video sync issue present when playing a mounted disc image of the DVD (or drag the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD to the Finder and play it from the Finder with DVD Player)? I'm still trying to rule out that the problem could be the brand of media you are using. Try with Verbatim discs and burn at 8X speed to see if that makes a difference. Also, use DVD-R if you were using DVD+R (or vice versa).

I've read other posts where people with Bose DVD players had trouble playing burned DVDs.

Archived