Burning Image File To Dvd

killmeister

Question

I am using Essy Media creator 9 Suite. Recently, I copied some photos from a dvd to my hard drive in the form of an image (.gi) file. I tried to burn these images from the hard drive onto brand new dvd+rw discs from Ridata and DVD-RW discs from Imation. Each time I try to do this I get a message that the discs are not compatible. Can anyone suggest what I should try next?

I also tried to open these image files using Iso-Buster which purports to be a free download. I did find the JPG files of the various photos but when I tried to open the JPG files it said I had to "Register" (a euphemism for "BUY") my copy of Iso-Buster. I don't want to do this as I will likely not save any more image files for a long time. I am grateful for any help that anyone can provide. Thanks!

6 answers to this question

I am using Essy Media creator 9 Suite. Recently, I copied some photos from a dvd to my hard drive in the form of an image (.gi) file. I tried to burn these images from the hard drive onto brand new dvd+rw discs from Ridata and DVD-RW discs from Imation. Each time I try to do this I get a message that the discs are not compatible. Can anyone suggest what I should try next?

I also tried to open these image files using Iso-Buster which purports to be a free download. I did find the JPG files of the various photos but when I tried to open the JPG files it said I had to "Register" (a euphemism for "BUY") my copy of Iso-Buster. I don't want to do this as I will likely not save any more image files for a long time. I am grateful for any help that anyone can provide. Thanks!

Why are you trying to burn your jpegs as "image files"?

Walt,

The OP seems to have copied a whole data DVD to a .GI image, and is now trying to write it back to disc or alternatively recover his .JPGs from the image if the silly software won't write the .GI back to disc. :)

Brendon

Walt,

The OP seems to have copied a whole data DVD to a .GI image, and is now trying to write it back to disc or alternatively recover his .JPGs from the image if the silly software won't write the .GI back to disc. :)

Brendon

The OP says "I copied some photos from a dvd to my hard drive in the form of an image (.gi) file". I am just curious why he would want to do that instead of copying the jpegs directly.

The OP says "I copied some photos from a dvd to my hard drive in the form of an image (.gi) file". I am just curious why he would want to do that instead of copying the jpegs directly.

Your question is fair. Here is what happened. Over the Christmas holiday my son brought 2 discs foe me to copy. One disc was movies from his Canon camcorder. The second disc was JPEG still photos. I tried to copy both discs directly from his Discs to my own blank discs. They would not copy and so I saved both disks contents to my computer's hard drive in the form of image files. A few days later I tried to burn the disc images to my own DVD discs. I was able to copy the movie files image to my own disk (Imation DVD-RW, 4X speed). This disc played the movies my son had taken on my computer. I then tried repeatedly to burn the image containg his still photos (JPEG files) to my DVD's and they would not burn. I tried several of the Imation discs and some Ridata discs (4X DVD+RW) and kept getting an error message. I could not find a way to open the image file contained on my hard drive until I downloaded the "trial" version of ISO-BUSTER and it showed that there were several groups of JPEG photos stored within this image file. When I tried to open them the program wanted me to "register" as i noted earlier. Hope you can help me retrieve my photos.

Right click properties on the .gi image file, how large is it? In what application are you trying to burn the ,gi image file when you get the 'discs are not compatible'?

cd

The image file size is 787 MB. I am trying to burn this file to a DVD disc using the COPY.....Burn Image to Disc function. When I click the red burn button in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen I get an error message that says "There was a problem writing to he disc".

Killmeister,

In your original post you said you were trying to write the images to RW discs, and were getting an error message that the discs are not compatible. Just above here you said you get a message "There was a problem writing to he disc".

[Q1] Are these both parts of the same error message, or has the error message changed?

[Q2] Are these RW discs you're trying to write to properly blank, or have they been formatted for use?

Many people think the only way to write to RW discs is to format them first, but for what you're wanting to do they must be properly blank - ERASED, and NOT FORMATTED. If your RW discs and not blank = erased, but are formatted instead then you won't be able to write to them with Copy > Burn Image to Disc.

If you suspect they might be formatted, go to Tools > Erase Disc and erase them, and then try to burn your .GI images to them.

If the write error is not caused by formatting, it might be trouble with the "simplified" Sonic 'RecordNow Copy' module that's used by Copy > Burn Image. There is a better burner you can try.

Roxio Disc Copier. Go to the Windows Start button > All Programs > Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 > Copy > Disc Copier. [it's hard to get at, because someone in the company was trying to hide it, and EMC 9 was the last version to have the Roxio Disc Copier]

Run Disc Copier in CD & DVD Copy mode, and click the pulldown arrow under 'Source'

Select 'Browse for Disc Image/DVD-Video folder', and browse away to find and select your .GI file.

Insert a blank disc, make sure your drive is in the Destination box, and click 'Copy Now'.

Would you please try either the Sonic module or the Roxio copier with a blank disc, and let us know how you get on?

Regards,

Brendon

Archived