• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Annoying Pop-ups Following Installation

LDeGarmo

Question

I have installed Creator 2009 and Update2 and it seems to be working. However, I continue to receive popups headed ROXIO UPDATE MANAGER with the message "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again or enter an alternativr path to a folder containing the installation package "UM.MSI" in the box below. [i have searched my system and there is no such file]. If I cancel out of this box, another appears with the ROXIO UPDATE MANAGER heading, this time with the message "An installation package for the product Roxio Update Manager cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package UM.MSI." I have tried to remove "Roxio Update Manager" via Control Panel, but receive a message, "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

Can you help me, please?

6 answers to this question

OK - I've searched my own copy and my own installation and there is no Update Manager (UM) listed. I think this is a Macrovision file (Update Manager) and should show in control panel.

Did you try manually adding the SP2 update (which actually updates that)

Well I finally think I have found out whats causing the problem. I have no solution though. first of all this must be a wide spread problem. There are quite a few 3rd party solutions to these pop ups looking for UM.MSI.

Well I finally decided to uninstall Creator 09, by using Control Panel, Add & Remove Programs. Thats when I noticed the with Roxio Creator 2009 there was also Roxio Update Manager. I unistalled both. Did a registery scan removed problems & optimized and checked to see if I needed a defrag. Rebooted and turned off my Anti Virus. I now reinstralled Creator 2009. I did not do an update, no Sp2. Control panel add & remove programs only diplayed Roxio Creator 2009. There was no Roxio Update Manager. And the POP UP's are gone.

The problem as far as I am concerned is Sp2.

Now all we have to wait for is a fix from Roxio. I submitted ticket 66032 1/15/09 hope Roxio keeps us informed.

Hope this will help someone.

If you installed from the downloaded version, the needed files are inside a self-extracting archive

Open the downloaded file with winzip or winrar, copy the contents to a temp folder and then point the program to that.

If it's on a DVD, copy the files over to a temp file and try that

Do you have Roxio Creator 2009? If so, follow the steps that Daithi listed in his post.

I have 2009 on DVD. I have reviewed all that has been written from the original submission to your last. And I find nothing that has been submitted by a Daithi expcept the contents of a computer system. Now I am looking for a folder or a file on the installation DVD that contains the file that the install manager is looking for. Like I said before I have manually searched the DVD file by file and did not not find UM.MSI. Now did Daithi provide the solution but it is located somewhere else in this forum addressing the same problem???

OK - I've searched my own copy and my own installation and there is no Update Manager (UM) listed. I think this is a Macrovision file (Update Manager) and should show in control panel.

Did you try manually adding the SP2 update (which actually updates that)

If you installed from the downloaded version, the needed files are inside a self-extracting archive

Open the downloaded file with winzip or winrar, copy the contents to a temp folder and then point the program to that.

If it's on a DVD, copy the files over to a temp file and try that

:angry2: Just where are these files loacated, exactly. Went searching my entire C: and Roxio Creator 9 DVD, and found nothing that resembles UM.MSI. I am waiting for Roxio to reply to my 66032, submitted 1/15/09. I get the impression Roxio is only interested in selling, and by the number of complaints not interested in fixing.

:angry2: Just where are these files loacated, exactly. Went searching my entire C: and Roxio Creator 9 DVD, and found nothing that resembles UM.MSI. I am waiting for Roxio to reply to my 66032, submitted 1/15/09. I get the impression Roxio is only interested in selling, and by the number of complaints not interested in fixing.

Do you have Roxio Creator 2009? If so, follow the steps that Daithi listed in his post.

Archived