• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Extreme Difficulty upgrading to EMC8 Deluxe

creeker69

Question

Okay, I bought EMC8 Deluxe. I was sucked in by the emails from Roxio. After I installed it, I have been working almost 18 hours to get back where I was!!!!

Here's what I have done: :)

Loaded Deluxe and let Deluxe handle the "uninstall" of previous EMC8 suite when prompted. It prompts for removal of several of the modules (ie MYDVD, Videowave, etc.). Then it proceeds to load EMC8 Deluxe. I immediatley loaded the content disc that came with the Deluxe. Then I down loaded the 8.05 patch.

Well, EMC8 did all kinds of funny things. For example, in Videowave, there were no control buttons (play, pause, ff, end, etc.). There were also no transitions, overlays, video effects, etc. In MyDVD, I found the new menus styles (Halloween, Spring, Sports, etc). But, when I loaded a previous Videowave file in MYDVD, and previewed the play, it had lost it's music. I could not edit the movie in Video wave because Videowave had its' own problems. Probably related, I know.....

I have tried to use Add/Remove programs but had problems even uninstalling Roxio. But, one time they did remove both the Content and the EMC8. But, when I loaded EMC8 Deluxe after that, I got the same problems with Videowave.

Anyway, after much, much, playing and restoring Windows XP, I am back to a working Suite but not the Deluxe. After restoring to a previous point, some of the time I would get a "Certificate Error" when trying to see if Video wave was working normal again (from the restore). I would get the same "Certificate Error" tryinmg to use MYDVD.

I redownloaded the patch and it (Certificate Error) went away. Also, I have sometimes not been able to uninstall EMC8 (the original Suite version). It tells me to check the Patch and make sure it is installed. Even if I redownload the Patch, it will not let me uninstall. I got everyting back to a working state and figured I would cry for help before trying anything else again.

So, I started to review the forum for the "what the hecks?". I came across something called Roxizap but according to Roxio, it is only for Creator 6.... Also found a thread for a Windows clean up utility from Microsoft.

I am asking for help. Before I begin this process again, what procedure do the Gurus recommend? What is RoxiZap and should I download it? Will the Windows Utility do it?? (I have not tried to uninstall again yet since learning of this program from Windows)....

I have a P4 2.26Mhz, 1gig of ram, NVidia GeForce MX 420 64MB Ram, 80Gig HD, Pioneer DVD DVR104 burner, HP 640I lightscribe DVD Burner. Win XP SP2. All the latest Video drivers and Directx (that seems to be the most common problem in the forums).

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Right now, I have EMC8 up and running and have the Deluxe edition in a box.

thanks in advance,

Ron

10 answers to this question

@rons: I was sure hoping that I could give you a standing ovation. I wish that it had worked out for you, because you gave it all you had. I think that the format C:/ is a good idea.

Here Bruce.................

Do not apply the 8.05 patch. The Deluxe version should be 8.06. I can already tell you that the older nVidia card with only 64meg may not fully support DirectX9. A quick search dates that card abt. FEB2002. Most likely the updated drivers are just DirectX9 'compatible'.

Easy way to make sure uninstall is complete:

Use Control Panel to uninstall first.

Then delete all directories that may be left. Just use the Windows Search function.

I then use a freeware app called Regseeker. WARNING - any registry editing can cause major problems! It has an option to search the registry for text. I just search for 'ROXIO' and delete all those entries. I also use this companies' Hoversnap for making screenshots.

Then reboot and reinstall the Deluxe Suite. DO NOT apply the 8.05 patch.

Also make sure you read this about the installation of the content disc. I'm not sure if this is true for the deluxe version but it won't hurt.

Okay, I bought EMC8 Deluxe. I was sucked in by the emails from Roxio. After I installed it, I have been working almost 18 hours to get back where I was!!!!

Here's what I have done: :)

Loaded Deluxe and let Deluxe handle the "uninstall" of previous EMC8 suite when prompted. It prompts for removal of several of the modules (ie MYDVD, Videowave, etc.). Then it proceeds to load EMC8 Deluxe. I immediatley loaded the content disc that came with the Deluxe. Then I down loaded the 8.05 patch.

Well, EMC8 did all kinds of funny things. For example, in Videowave, there were no control buttons (play, pause, ff, end, etc.). There were also no transitions, overlays, video effects, etc. In MyDVD, I found the new menus styles (Halloween, Spring, Sports, etc). But, when I loaded a previous Videowave file in MYDVD, and previewed the play, it had lost it's music. I could not edit the movie in Video wave because Videowave had its' own problems. Probably related, I know.....

I have tried to use Add/Remove programs but had problems even uninstalling Roxio. But, one time they did remove both the Content and the EMC8. But, when I loaded EMC8 Deluxe after that, I got the same problems with Videowave.

Anyway, after much, much, playing and restoring Windows XP, I am back to a working Suite but not the Deluxe. After restoring to a previous point, some of the time I would get a "Certificate Error" when trying to see if Video wave was working normal again (from the restore). I would get the same "Certificate Error" tryinmg to use MYDVD.

I redownloaded the patch and it (Certificate Error) went away. Also, I have sometimes not been able to uninstall EMC8 (the original Suite version). It tells me to check the Patch and make sure it is installed. Even if I redownload the Patch, it will not let me uninstall. I got everyting back to a working state and figured I would cry for help before trying anything else again.

So, I started to review the forum for the "what the hecks?". I came across something called Roxizap but according to Roxio, it is only for Creator 6.... Also found a thread for a Windows clean up utility from Microsoft.

I am asking for help. Before I begin this process again, what procedure do the Gurus recommend? What is RoxiZap and should I download it? Will the Windows Utility do it?? (I have not tried to uninstall again yet since learning of this program from Windows)....

I have a P4 2.26Mhz, 1gig of ram, NVidia GeForce MX 420 64MB Ram, 80Gig HD, Pioneer DVD DVR104 burner, HP 640I lightscribe DVD Burner. Win XP SP2. All the latest Video drivers and Directx (that seems to be the most common problem in the forums).

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Right now, I have EMC8 up and running and have the Deluxe edition in a box.

thanks in advance,

Ron

Thanks Gary and Steve.

As for the Video card, I thought I was okay because the the Hardware test always came back with hardware selected instead of software. Also, thanks to one of Gary's posts, I updated the drivers for the card because I was having issues with text in VideoWave and MYDVD. After the driver updates, the problems disappeared.

But, my PC is 4 years old and I have never changed the Video card. I will upgrade it. And since I am looking to upgrade it, I will stay away from the ATI cards. Several posts suggest issues with compatibilty issues and I have enough problems.

I will take your advice for the removal, reg clean, directory clean up and loading of the content disc. I really like this software and am looking forward to the deluxe version.

Thanks again!

Ron

My tale of woe. First, I read the suggestions from this post. Then, I read more from the forum. Now before I started any of this, I had EMC8 running pretty well. Not perfect, but I could make my Videowave productions, run PhotoSuite, MYDVD, Audio Editor, Slideshow Assistant, etc. But, I wanted things from the DVD like “Play All” button and the ability to add more, longer music on the DVD chapter menus, etc.

So, I began by downloading Regseeker, Roxizap, Windows Cleanup utility, and Windows Installer 3.1. I later decided not to use the Windows Clean Up utility because it scared me and I am not sure exactly what it does. After downloading these, I created a restore point and rebooted.

After the restore, I ran dxdiag from the “RUN” box. (I use XP SP2.) I have a NVIDIA 420 64mb Video Card (although suspect due to its’ age, it passed EVERY test in dxdiag with no hesitation whatsoever). The video card also was selected each and every time I used EMC8 to test the video card (hardware rendering vs. software). Anyway, I decided to move forward with my new found enthusiasm and (with what I thought at the time) my new expertise to get my DELUXE to work.

Round One

So, I start. I disabled Microsoft Spyware, stopped the firewall, even closed the Verizon (DSL) support. So, I figured, okay, let’s now go to Add/Remove and remove this bear and go get ‘em. (In the background of my brain like background music in a Videowave production, the theme from Rocky started playing. “Adrienne, just let me go the distance. I know I can’t beat Roxio but just let me go the distance!). But, I got knocked on my can in the first round! When trying to Uninstall EMC8 (the 8.05 Suite version) I got a Windows box telling me “This patch package could not be opened. Verify Patch Package exists.” I decided to reboot again. After rebooting, I tried again to Uninstall. Same result. I rebooted again and this time before trying to Uninstall, I decided NOT to shut down the Spyware, Firewall, Verizon support. Same result. Thankfully the bell sounded and the three knockdown rule was not in play so I went to my corner to see Mick.

Round Two

After inhaling some fresh smelling salt, I bounced back up. Off I go. I was thinking “Patch! What the heck does that mean?” Ahha! I’ll redownload the 8.05 patch. So I download the patch. Install it. Reboot. Try to run Videowave. I see no difference. Keep in mind that I still am using the EMC8 Suite 8.05 NOT the Deluxe. Everything I am doing is to try and get the Deluxe to install on my system. Reboot completed, I go the Add/Remove programs again. Then “Boom!”. I get hit again with the “Patch…” message. I am still on my feet however and this round is not lost yet. I decide to use ROXIZAP! Now, I had been thinking that I would use roxizap AFTER I had removed EMC8 but I was dazed. So ZAP I did. Then rebooted. Then tried to Remove EMC8 again. Same result! The bell sounded and swerved to my corner. I was hoping Adrienne wasn’t watching this humiliation.

Round Three

I am looking bad at this point. What to do? I trained for this as best I could. Maybe I AM just a rank amateur bum! But, I was getting angry from being hit and I just wanted to finish! A brain flash hit me. I’ll do a restore and wipe out the first two rounds! Ya! (Wouldn’t life be great with a restore feature? You know when you say to your wife, “Honey, You know Joe’s wife had a tummy tuck… maybe you should look into that.” Response “@#$#$%#@#%$%!!”. Just do a Restore and this time “Honey you get better looking every day!”) So I restoring I go. I reboot again even after the restore did a reboot. EMC8 is back and running (8.05 in place). I have not tested EVERY function in EMC8 but Videowave and MYDVD are working fine. All the preview, play buttons, etc are there. The bell sounded and I went to my corner again. That round, even though the judges gave it to Roxio, at least gave me some hope.

Round Four

I stupidly repeat Round ONE. And, DUH, get the same result. What the heck did I think? Reminds of a bad doctor I once went to see. I said “Doc, it hurts when I do that. (Raising my right arm and shoulder like a pitcher warming up).” And the doctor looked at me and said “Then don’t do that!” Okay, enough said about that. Another bell – another stool.

Round Five

I got Roxio now, I am thinking. I remembered what Mick had told me while I was chasing that chicken, “you got to out think ‘em”. Well. Mick wasn’t the guy getting pummeled. But, I remembered that once, a week or two earlier, I WAS able to delete EMC8! This was before I had posted and sought help. I uninstalled EMC8 and the EMC8 content program with no problem before I installed EMC8 Deluxe! The only reason I was back at a working version EMC8 (8.05) was a RESTORE! That wonderful restore. (You know… “How’s the meatloaf, dear?” and you tell the truth. Oooooo) Anyway, now I got it! I’ll do a restore! Now at this point I am hoping that all of you are fans of the “The Christmas Story” with Ralphie and the BB gun. Because I felt just like Ralphie when he had his revelation and said “Santa! I’ll ask Santa!” Ralphie thought his mother had slipped up this time. There was no getting around the big guy in the Red Suit. Well, that is how I felt and I picked a restore date and went for another restore. Ding Ding Ding. Go sit down.

Round Six

The restore took a long time because of how far back I had to go to get the restore point I wanted. Was I ever grateful that I use the maximum disc space. This MAY be the turning point. My restore idea worked. Well, almost. When I went in to Add/Remove programs the Roxio Content program was still there. So I removed the Content program and started my comeback. The Roxio programs were gone. With my second wind, I first used Windows Explorer to delete any Roxio left over folders. Then on to Regseeker to clean up the registry. It found 475 Roxio items. I did not have one other Roxio program on the system (like Easy Creator CD, etc.) so I let Regseeker do its job. Now, know that there wouldn’t be much left, I ran Roxizap. Legs weakening, I just got to another reboot for the bell. I went to my corner and watched the system reboot.

Round Seven

Started this round by downloading Windows Installer 3.1 (it was gone due to the restore). Another reboot after the download. By now, I am wondering if my PC is going to start smoking. I gingerly grabbed my new and yet to be proved EMC8 DELUXE disc. All the Spyware, Firewall and junk are off. I gently inserted the CD into my HP 540c drive. Pressed the tray button and held my breath. To my wonderment, pops up the installer box! I enter my CD Key, being ever so careful not to screw up the number. I selected full install and went for it! This is a long install, but I patiently wait. I cross my fingers. I pray for no C++ runtime/installation errors! And I got a Finish button. What just happened? Did I, in fact, beat the champ? Did the nobody form Pennsylvania bring the mighty Roxio down? To obey me? To acknowledge who was in charge? Continuing ever so cautiously, I remembered the advice to activate EMC8 prior to installing the Content CD. I hear the announcer say “I think I have to give this Round to Rockhead” as the bell rang to end another.

Round Eight

I charge off my stool. I had just won a round! I am high. But, my corner kept saying, “Keep cool, it ain’t over!” I fire up Roxio 8 Deluxe. I pick Creator Classic as my first program. It opens! It looks as if I can do anything I want! I decide to throw a hard left. Swing! As I look under the Help/About and see Build 806xxx. It was just like they said! No downloading patch 8.05! There it is, 8.06! I am half way through the round and feeling great. My legs are strong. I have wind at my back! I try to open up Videowave. I first see the beautiful Gold logo screen. There it is, right there in front of me. Then, the selection screen, “new production” or exiting ones. The were no existing productions to open so I clicked NEW PRODUCTION. The box disappeared. Then, BAM! Roxio is back on its feet and hits me square in the face! It looks almost complete, but there are no buttons. The play, go to end, fast forward, etc. buttons are not there. I’m not done, I think to myself. I open some pictures to import and start a Slideshow thinking the buttons may magically appear then. My thought was, the buttons had no purpose without the pictures to play. But alas and alack! No buttons. The bell sounded and off to the corner again.

Round Nine

I am feeling beat by now. But, they don’t call me Rockhead for nothing! I decide that, maybe – just maybe - the Content disc must be loaded before the buttons would appear. I decide to reboot again thinking that even if it wasn’t necessary for the installation of the Content CD, it shouldn’t hurt. I install the Content CD. It starts loading. All is looking well. Could I maybe have another round going in my favor? Loading continues. Then, up pops Roxio, this giant will not give up and it is formidable. This time in the form of a windows box. “Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. Runtime Error! Program: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI10.tmp. Abnormal program termination. I decide to see what if anything changed in Videowave and open it up. Still no buttons. Opened MYDVD. I saw the extra DVD menu selections (Halloween, Steel something, Spring…). Now, not only am I getting my butt whooped by Roxio but I think I see Bill Gates in their corner plotting against me, too. The bell rings and I need the break.

Round Ten

Visibly shaken from so many blows to the head, I wobble to center. I decide maybe it was Windows Installer 3.1. That must be it. How can others load this product so easily? What have I done wrong? Quick strategy action, go for a restore! So, a resotring I go. How far though? Well let’s just get back to before the Installer download! This restore takes a lot longer. I must have had a lot of crap in between restores. After this restore, windows once to do a chdsk. I think I may have asked for one too many restores over the weeks just gone by. After the chkdsk and reboot, I look for EMC8. Not there. A good thing, I thought. I repeat all the steps I once thought was the correct path! I manually delete Roxio folders. I run Regseeker and clean up registry (checking the “make backup” box of course). I run Roxizap. I reboot again. I search for anything Roxio. The only thing I find on the system is a folder where I had moved all my slideshow, videowave files. I named the folder “old-roxio-work” and put it in MyDocuments. I reboot and start to install again. Again with everything turned off that I could think of, I load my EMC8 Deluxe. It loads up without giving me any error messages. I reboot. I am wondering what I am doing to the system with all this rebooting, Regseeker, restoring. Worriedly, I barely make it back to my corner at the bell.

Round Eleven

Okay. Now what? I have just loaded EMC8 Deluxe. I still have to load the Content CD. Could they be wrong? Should I just go straight ahead and load the Content CD? NAH! The guys on the forums are there to share and help. Several already have EMC8 Deluxe. So, what can I do a little different to change my luck? I decide to stay safe and open Roxio Creator Classic. It opens it looks okay. I do not try to do anything and close it. So, do I dare open Videowave again? Last time I did, it broke my heart. After all, most of my use time with this software is in Videowave. I know, lets open Slideshow assistant!!! Then after successfully loading in pictures and deciding on a transition theme, I can ask Slideshow assistant to send me to Videowave, right? I click on Slideshow assistant. The hour glass appears for a moment or two then I hear a windows sound and nothing. I do it again. Same thing. Once more. Same result. I do it again!!!! Now, I now all the old adages of “doing the same thing and expecting different results, etc. but I tried again! Slideshow assistant still would not open. So I try Photosuite. It will not open either. Why o why! I decide to see if I have made my situation even worse. Will Videowave not open either? I try it. It opens just fine but again no buttons. I load some pictures in. They come in just fine. I decide to add transitions. I click on Add transition and the box pops up empty! None available. I click on Add Transition Theme. There are all the normal choices there so I pick dissolves and guess what? It placed dissolves between every picture! I try to add effects. None available, the box is empty. So, with no buttons, I close Videowave. I go to MYDVD. I can open it fine. I can change Menu styles, no problem and there are 24 menu styles available (you deluxe guys can verify that this how many on EMC8 Deluxe.) Ding Ding Ding. (I can see you are about to go down for the count and you’re just reading about my turmoil).

Round Twelve

Okay, maybe I am defeated. But I jump back up. Maybe it IS my Video Card. I rerun dxdiag and see Directx9, I tested my video card using dxdiag. All seems good but the card IS 4 years old. So off I go to CompUSA. I am looking at new Video cards. As I ponder spending even more money, I wonder if it is all worth it! I convince myself that it is. It is fun to produce these videos. I want to do even more of them! Impress the family! What the heck! A kid (okay everything is from a perspective, a “young man” of about 23) approaches me and asks if I need help. I decide to tell him as briefly as I can, my tale of woes. He says that he has heard of that sort of thing but usually just with games. But, he has heard of it! I look at the GeForce 6600 with 256mb. It is on sale. (I know if go to Ebay I can beat even the sale price but I’ll wait for shipping, etc. – Besides, it is great having a CompUSA nearby and I don’t want them to go out of business. Can you imagine going to WalMart for your computer needs?) Then this young man (<-politically corrected) tells me that I can return it in 21 days if it does not cure my problem! Wow. Try that with Ebay! So, I buy a GeForce 6600 nVidia Video card. Ding. A little lighter in the wallet, I head for my corner. (which is at home)

Round Thirteen

With optimistic fervor and my computer staring at my face and before I decide to anything else, I decide to maybe go back all the way (using a restore) to a point where I had successfully removed EMC8 (8.05) and had no Roxio anything on the system. But, Bill Gates screamed from the background, “Not this time, sonny!” My restore points had been dramatically decreased. Probably that long restore from before or maybe just one too many, who knows. So a restore was out of the question. So I set a new restore point and called it “Before Video card”. Remembering directions from Nvidia from a long time ago, I uninstall the nVidia drivers. With everything displaying on screen in 16 colors and larger font, I get ready to install. Then I shut the PC down completely, and started to unhook wires. I installed the new Video card and fired it up. I installed the new drivers that came with the card being careful not to select any software “add-ons” that might be on the disc. I booted it up. It looks exactly the same. Nothing at all seems different. I ran it through all the 3d Direct Draw, Direct3D, Texture Acceleration, and it still did not “look” any different to me. But, optimistically, I think that this will cure my ills. I repeat the install. And get the exact same results. No buttons in Videowave and no Slideshow Assistant. Now I am feeling totally defeated. So off to catch my breath.

Round Fourteen

I have made a dramatic decision. Scrap DELUXE. After all, it does not do all that much more. So let’s scrap it. By the way, I contacted Roxio and received an RMA number to return the software for a refund. I uninstall Roxio Deluxe, manually delete all the Roxio folders and run Regseeker again. I set a restore point and decide to load the Suite. I load it. I download the patch (8.05) then I hold my breath and open Creator Classic. No problem there. I open Videowave and “boom”, no buttons. I close it. I try to open Slideshow Assistant, and nothing. Now I have the exact same problem I had with Deluxe!!!!! What could I have done to make this so difficult? I don’t know but I am sure something on this machine is now permanently changed. Changing it back would mean I’d have to know what the heck I did!!! Restores are gone from before all this started so no help there. What could be different from the original install of 8.05 and now? Maybe at this point I was hallucinating but I racked my now hurting brain for what it could be. Probably something of a conflict but what? Then I remembered that I had bought my LightScribe DVD and installed it AFTER I had bought EMC8 Suite. I started looking around the system and came across ARCsoft DVD software. Where did this come from? I never bought it; I don’t even know hat it is. Could this software be the problem? Before deleting it, I fired it up. Frankly, it is kinda neat but does not give the same control of a production that EMC8 did. (However, it did seem to be faster.) So, a deleting I did go. Uninstalled ARCSOFT, ran Regseeker and rebooted.

Round Fifteen

This is it. It must be, right? I install my Roxio EMC8 (the original) and fire up Creator Classic. It looks fine. Now, for the real test, Videowave. Will I have my buttons? Will I be able to just get back to what I used to have? I fire it up. ……. Nothing. Yep, now Videowave acts just like Slideshow Assistant. Nothing. I’ll try MYDVD. Nothing…. It actually locks up the system (well almost completely). CTRL-ALT-DEL shows that Videowave is eating up all the resources. I end the process. I end ALL the Roxio processes and the PC returns to a ready state. What have I done? This is a testament to greed. I wanted a little more out of my PC and DVD productions so I opted to buy DELUXE. Now, like a guy who cheated on his wife, the mistress (will call her DELUXE) and now even the wife (call her the 8.05 Suite) want nothing to do with him. At this point the bell rings and the combatants collapse in the center of the ring, clutching each other to stay up. The champ (Roxio) says “There ain’t going to be no re-match” and Rockhead says “I don’t want one”.

But, plans are already under way for ROXIO vs Rockhead II. Perhaps putting the machine back to its’ original state. The way it was when the very first ROXIO Suite loaded and was fine after the patch. Maybe take the HP DVD Lightscribe out. Put the original nVidia card back in. Yes we are talking about a complete restore. FORMAT C:/ The big one. What a load of work that will be, however. I had to download the SP2 patch; numerous other explorer and windows patches will need redownloaded. Send all my pics and dms* files to a CD. Is it worth it? I am not sure, yet. But, as requests come in for some DVD productions, I think they are starting to not believe me when I say I blew it up!

Thanks to all who post in this forum. I have learned a great deal here.

I'm sorry, what's this post about? :)

I think it is either something to do with the various intermediate stages en rute to his present stage, or a proof he knows how to do bold.

Generally, it's easier to answer something if the something is stated, not its life history.

Lynn

Thanks Gary and Steve.

As for the Video card, I thought I was okay because the the Hardware test always came back with hardware selected instead of software. Also, thanks to one of Gary's posts, I updated the drivers for the card because I was having issues with text in VideoWave and MYDVD. After the driver updates, the problems disappeared.

But, my PC is 4 years old and I have never changed the Video card. I will upgrade it. And since I am looking to upgrade it, I will stay away from the ATI cards. Several posts suggest issues with compatibilty issues and I have enough problems.

I will take your advice for the removal, reg clean, directory clean up and loading of the content disc. I really like this software and am looking forward to the deluxe version.

Thanks again!

Ron

I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, video card, and I have experienced no problems with it. You don't need to stay away from ATI. Unless you are a gamer, I would stay away from the NVidia cards. So, you can see that what type of card folks recommend to use is subjective, with some objectivity injected. :)

Archived