• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Letterboxing And The Such.

curious_George

Question

I have toast 9, and Im trying to get some help. I had a .avi movie that I tried to burn. 1.3gb. I had everything (seemingly) set up correctly, and hit burn. The encoding took roughly 4-6 hrs. When the disc was ejected I took it to my DVD player and stuck it in. What came out was interesting.

1. The widescreen "letterbox" was at the top half of the screen.

2. The audio matched the video for the 1st 15mins. then developed a latency that only became worse. (Audio did not match video and got worse as time went).

I then took the avi. file and re-encoded it to Mpeg-4. 2.4gb. Dropped the file into toast and hit burn. 12hr encoding time. After ejecting the disc I again tried DVD player. The re-encode removed the audio/video latency, however the letterbox still remained, was still at the top half of the screen, and the video looked smaller in heigth then before.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation?? Thanks!!

4 answers to this question

I have toast 9, and Im trying to get some help. I had a .avi movie that I tried to burn. 1.3gb. I had everything (seemingly) set up correctly, and hit burn. The encoding took roughly 4-6 hrs. When the disc was ejected I took it to my DVD player and stuck it in. What came out was interesting.

1. The widescreen "letterbox" was at the top half of the screen.

2. The audio matched the video for the 1st 15mins. then developed a latency that only became worse. (Audio did not match video and got worse as time went).

I then took the avi. file and re-encoded it to Mpeg-4. 2.4gb. Dropped the file into toast and hit burn. 12hr encoding time. After ejecting the disc I again tried DVD player. The re-encode removed the audio/video latency, however the letterbox still remained, was still at the top half of the screen, and the video looked smaller in heigth then before.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation?? Thanks!!

Does the DVD look the same when played on the Mac as when played on the standalone DVD player? I recommend choosing Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button. Then select the resulting .toast file using the Image File setting in the Copy window. Mount the disc image (if it isn't done automatically) and preview it in DVD Player. If it plays okay there but doesn't after burning the image file to DVD, then the problem is that the player is having difficulty reading the disc, suggesting use of a different brand of media.

Does the DVD look the same when played on the Mac as when played on the standalone DVD player? I recommend choosing Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button. Then select the resulting .toast file using the Image File setting in the Copy window. Mount the disc image (if it isn't done automatically) and preview it in DVD Player. If it plays okay there but doesn't after burning the image file to DVD, then the problem is that the player is having difficulty reading the disc, suggesting use of a different brand of media.

Ok, went home, re-encoded to disc image. 12 more hours (Im doing best quality as a test). Viewed as directed using Image File, viewed in DVD player, and came out perfect??? Would the media really make that much of a difference? I was reading other posts and people had issues viewing with thier DVD players. These issues were fixed when settings in thier DVD players were changed. Can you recommend a good media, and I will burn and test the disc image tonight? Thanks again! Newbie in motion!

Ok, went home, re-encoded to disc image. 12 more hours (Im doing best quality as a test). Viewed as directed using Image File, viewed in DVD player, and came out perfect??? Would the media really make that much of a difference? I was reading other posts and people had issues viewing with thier DVD players. These issues were fixed when settings in thier DVD players were changed. Can you recommend a good media, and I will burn and test the disc image tonight? Thanks again! Newbie in motion!

I recommend Verbatim media. Yes, quality of the media can make a big difference in how well some players can read the disc.

Archived