• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio Video Capture Usb

darcy

Question

I just bought the Roxio Creator 2009 from Costco with the Video Capture USB included. My desire at the moment is to copy old tape cassettes onto CDs. It looks like the USB is correctly installed, however I seem to be missing a step when it comes to recording from the tape player. I have connected the RCA audio cables, but when I click on record, nothing happens. I am using Windows XP. Any ideas????

24 answers to this question

I did the same.... from Costco.... but nowhere and I repeat...No Where does is say the proper way to hook up the VCR and USB capture. I have reviewed just about everywhere and find nothing except " here it is, your video Capture USB". No instructions yet it came in the box.... not he web, nor the book or box. I am not unlearned here but there must be a way and a right way! Help?

Try the steps, here:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=43928

Hi everyone.

I have updated the Roxio Service Pack 2 program, everything is plugged in correctly according to the images that you have shown me. The computer shows that it recognizes the device and that it is working properly but it still does not copy audio. I just cannot get those little blue lines to start moving when I start saving. I have even tried two different tape players.

On the positive side, last weekend, I tried the USB device on transferring video and this was successful. I can only assume that I am one of the unlucky ones described by ggrussell, where it simply does not capture audio.

I will try out the idea of sknis, but am a little sceptical of the sound quality. It is worth a try.

Many thanks for your efforts. I will keep trying and if I do discover anything that I am doing incorrectly, I will let you know.

Darcy

Vista SP1 Home Premium 32 (_x86)

In Vista, USB Capture Device.

post-97-1231950109.png

In Vista, USB 2861 Device, is the audio device.

post-97-1231950120.png

XP SP2 Home 32 (_x86)

In XP, USB Capture Device.

post-97-1231950142.png

XP SP2 Home 32 (_x86)

In XP, USB Audio Device.

post-97-1231950150.png

cd

Thanks, your information was very clear. However....... when I looked the the device, everything appeared to be correct. The third image for the XP computer was exactly what I saw, but I am still not capable of copying my cassettes. Has anybody had any success in copying cassettes? I have seen lots of messages posted about video cameras, but nothing about cassettes, so maybe it is incapable of the completing this function.

Audio only capture is 'suppose' to work after applying the SP2 patch to Creator 2009. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work for some of us. I can capture video with audio, but I can't capture audio only as described like from the LP & Tape Assistant. I have tested this extensively and just can't get it to work for me. However, it does for for others.

You can capture to a laptop Mic input if you are very careful.

but am a little skeptical of the sound quality.

The sound quality would only limited by your audio card/chip. You may want to look for updated drivers for your device. I have just captured about 2 dozen tapes plugging directly into my sound card and am about to do another dozen or so up to 30 years old. I assure you that the Sound Quality is great.

You sound card/chip has a built in encoder that will take the analog signal and convert it to digital. There is no external device (USB) that may or may not work properly along with USB port on your computer which may or may not work properly along with ... (You get the idea.)

:blink::unsure::blink:

cd

Thanks, I will try it out tonight when I get home from work. One question though, in the instructions provided by Jim Hardin it says:

Note there are specific Drivers for 32 bit systems (_x86) as well as 64 bit systems (_x64). Straightforward enough but if you pick the wrong one, it isn't going to work…

How do I now which is the system that works for my computer? I do know that when I look at the Device Manager it shows that the USB Capture Devise is installed.

It is great to know that I am not alone with my problems, I was feeling pretty useless.

Thanks, your information was very clear. However....... when I looked the the device, everything appeared to be correct. The third image for the XP computer was exactly what I saw, but I am still not capable of copying my cassettes. Has anybody had any success in copying cassettes? I have seen lots of messages posted about video cameras, but nothing about cassettes, so maybe it is incapable of the completing this function.

Sorry, the third image posted above is for ' XP, USB Capture Device ' image # 4 is XP, USB Audio Device.

If you want to capture audio from a cassette, you use Roxio Easy Audio Capture, turn the cassette on and choose the USB 2861 Device like the image below shows. This is in my XP SP 2 Home...

post-97-1232128342.png

cd

I think Steve meant "there is an external device (USB) . . . "

I trust he doesn't mind me developing a bad habit and putting words in his mouth, as I'm sure someone meant to add. :lol:

Must have imbibed in my favorite refreshment before posting that reply ! :rolleyes:

Audio only capture is 'suppose' to work after applying the SP2 patch to Creator 2009. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work for some of us. I can capture video with audio, but I can't capture audio only as described like from the LP & Tape Assistant. I have tested this extensively and just can't get it to work for me. However, it does for for others.

Could you please tell me where I can get this patch.

In Vista, USB Capture Device.

post-97-1231950109.png

In Vista, USB 2861 Device, is the audio device.

post-97-1231950120.png

XP SP2 Home 32 (_x86)

In XP, USB Capture Device.

post-97-1231950142.png

XP SP2 Home 32 (_x86)

In XP, USB Audio Device.

post-97-1231950150.png

cd

I just bought the Roxio Creator 2009 from Costco with the Video Capture USB included. My desire at the moment is to copy old tape cassettes onto CDs. It looks like the USB is correctly installed, however I seem to be missing a step when it comes to recording from the tape player. I have connected the RCA audio cables, but when I click on record, nothing happens. I am using Windows XP. Any ideas????

To get it to work, audio only, you have to download and install the Roxio Service Pack 2 update, here:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/c2009/software_updates.html

Sorry, the third image posted above is for ' XP, USB Capture Device ' image # 4 is XP, USB Audio Device.

If you want to capture audio from a cassette, you use Roxio Easy Audio Capture, turn the cassette on and choose the USB 2861 Device like the image below shows. This is in my XP SP 2 Home...

post-97-1232128342.png

cd

I was under the impression that the Capture Device was the same as the Audio Capture. I guess that this is my problem, but on the box it says it is capable of capturing audio and video. When I open Roxio, I get the same image that you have just shown, except that when I click on record, the wave bands do not move. If I change the driver to that which is shown in image number 4, do you think that is the solution? Next question, do I have to re-install the program to get this driver? It is the end of my work day and I will try it out tonight.

Also, do I need the SP2 patch that has been mentioned? If this patch is in the updates, I already have it.

Thanks.

Yes, you need the patch. If you did the updates, you probably have it, but you can download the file to make sure.

Again, teh USB device is 'suppose' to be able to capture video with audio AND capture audio only with the Creator 2009 SP2 update. However, some of us still can not get it to work. So you may be in the same boat as I'm in. I've tried everything and it simply will not capture audio from LP or Tape.

Hi everyone.

I have updated the Roxio Service Pack 2 program, everything is plugged in correctly according to the images that you have shown me. The computer shows that it recognizes the device and that it is working properly but it still does not copy audio. I just cannot get those little blue lines to start moving when I start saving. I have even tried two different tape players.

On the positive side, last weekend, I tried the USB device on transferring video and this was successful. I can only assume that I am one of the unlucky ones described by ggrussell, where it simply does not capture audio.

I will try out the idea of sknis, but am a little sceptical of the sound quality. It is worth a try.

Many thanks for your efforts. I will keep trying and if I do discover anything that I am doing incorrectly, I will let you know.

Darcy

The sound quality would only limited by your audio card/chip. You may want to look for updated drivers for your device. I have just captured about 2 dozen tapes plugging directly into my sound card and am about to do another dozen or so up to 30 years old. I assure you that the Sound Quality is great.

You sound card/chip has a built in encoder that will take the analog signal and convert it to digital. There is no external device (USB) that may or may not work properly along with USB port on your computer which may or may not work properly along with ... (You get the idea.)

Now I forgot if you have a desktop or laptop. Laptops are more tricky.

BTW, do you have the Creator 2009 version that has Sound Soap included. That does a great job of improving the quality of the sound.

I was under the impression that the Capture Device was the same as the Audio Capture. I guess that this is my problem, but on the box it says it is capable of capturing audio and video. When I open Roxio, I get the same image that you have just shown, except that when I click on record, the wave bands do not move. If I change the driver to that which is shown in image number 4, do you think that is the solution? Next question, do I have to re-install the program to get this driver? It is the end of my work day and I will try it out tonight.

Also, do I need the SP2 patch that has been mentioned? If this patch is in the updates, I already have it.

Thanks.

Do you want to capture audio from a cassette? If so you need to look exactly like my # 4 pic does and the cassette on and running.

Why, don't you show the Capture From, USB 2861 Device?

Yes, ggrussell has told you twice it's supposed to fix the Capture Audio only.

cd

I think I am imagining things, but this is the link that takes us to Jim Hardin's tutorial. I was sure that when I opened this post this morning it sent me to a site where I could download what is necessary for my problem. Maybe I did not have enough coffee.

To get it to work, audio only, you have to download and install the Roxio Service Pack 2 update, here:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/c2009/software_updates.html

Thanks but when I downloaded the update I was told that I already had it with the Roxio Creater 2009 Special. I tried again, plus with a newer cassette player, but still I cannot get it to record. When I take out the plugs, the meters move, but once I place the plugs into their correct spot, the meters stop and nothing is recorded. The program I am using is in the music file under digitalizing vinyl.

I know that I am late to this conversation but if you have a cassette player AND a desktop, you can capture directly to your audio device. You have no need for the USB device.

You can capture to a laptop Mic input if you are very careful. You have to experiment with the VOLUME settings on your cassette player starting low and then increasing to a satisfactory volume. IF you start high, you have a very good chance of blowing your audio device.

I did the same.... from Costco.... but nowhere and I repeat...No Where does is say the proper way to hook up the VCR and USB capture. I have reviewed just about everywhere and find nothing except " here it is, your video Capture USB". No instructions yet it came in the box.... not he web, nor the book or box. I am not unlearned here but there must be a way and a right way! Help?

Archived