• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Bob Rodkin

Is Upgrade Policy Reasonable?

Question

I'm asking this question with as much sincerity as I can muster. I really do want to know if this is an "industry standard" upgrade policy, or just a Roxio one.

I purchased Roxio Toast 9 for $99 on Dec. 31st. Shortly thereafter I heard they released version 10. On January 5th I inquired about a free upgrade and was told it was $30.

I do feel like I've been cheated but perhaps that is unreasonable on my part. Perhaps this is an industry standard customer "service" method and I should be happy to pay for the upgrade and just look at it as version 10 was $130.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Sorry if this is a duplicate issue, I did try to get in on a thread where someone else had the same issue but it had been locked and I wasn't allowed to reply.

Bob

bobrodkin@mac.com

7 answers to this question

If you purchase Toast 9 through Roxio directly, you can obtain a refund and place a new order for Toast 10.

I'm gathering you bought a boxed version of Toast from a reseller. If you had purchased as a download from Roxio then you could get a refund on your Toast 9 purchase and buy Toast 10 at the new, rather than upgrade, price. In that situation you only would have one Toast license. With the $30 upgrade they are offering you have two Toast licenses: one for 9 and one for 10. I realize this is meaningless when you only have need for one license, but you will still have both version 9 and 10. Version 9 does have DivX encoding not present in version !0.

It's a minor point but I'm trying to find something of value you'll get in return for your extra $30.

I don't know if there is anything that is "customary." When Apple announces a new version of iLife I believe they have a recent-buyer deal that involves the cost of shipping a new disc. Apple sometimes gives an upgrade discount to previous owners of its software (i.e. Final Cut and Aperture) and other times gives no upgrade discount (i.e. the Mac OS and iLife). Of course Apple also announces the new version in advance of its release which makes informed users know to hold off the purchase for awhile. Roxio announced Toast 10 the day it was released for sale.

I certainly can see how it feels unfair to buy a version you don't want just because you didn't know a newer version was about to be released. And now it costs you more than if you had held off a couple weeks. I'm not sure it's right to require Roxio to treat all recent boxed sales of Toast 9 as being a Toast 10 purchase, either. Tough call.

I'm in the same boat, but I responded to a bunch of aggressive "holiday" sales emails from Roxio to registered users of previous versions of Toast around December 20th suggesting that an upgrade from Toast 8 (which I had) could be had for $49 + shipping.

Sounded good to me, and the CD showed up last week by Priority Mail, right around the same time the new v10 was announced at MacWorld.

Because Roxio was itself obviously just trying to blow out old stock through its promotion all the while knowing what it was shipping was already obsolete is pretty cheezey, especially given the paid upgrade policy for a non-nominal price without a typical 30 day upgrade period for recent purchases which seems pretty industry standard.

Now that having been said, I'd be glad to either pay the $30 upgrade or cancel, return the old software to Roxio for the new, but they don't seem to make that very easy or do-able, as far as I can find. There's no such option available in the on-line store without (I suppose) calling a live agent...it's not doable online. Nor is there any information which even suggests this upgrade/return policy...perhaps they make the $30 offer only if you call and complain about it, be a squeeky wheel?

Confused as to whether there was a typical upgrade policy for the NOS they were pushing out the door, I filled out a "support ticket" on the Roxio website yesterday about it (Ticket number 658749 at 11:43A EST yesterday 12 Jan 2009). I have heard nothing back from Roxio yet (30 hours later) but will report back on this thread when I do.

Or if any of you know how to make this $30 upgrade or return/upgrade happen without phoning their agents, let me know.

It is up to each company to decide its own policies about how to deal with previous purchasers, unfortunately. I'm in full sympathy, however, with people who have recently bought Toast. I had a similar experience with Roxio's PC software, where, in response to a series of emails offering a great bargain, I bought it a couple of weeks before a new version was announced. I was then informed by a customer service person that I had to pay the full upgrade price. What is especially annoying in these cases is that Roxio's people already know that a new version is about to come out, and I could have had the latest version for the same upgrade price, since I had an earlier version of the PC software.

There are two things that drive me especially crazy about Toast upgrades. Roxio frequently has different prices for the upgrades. With Toast 9, they emailed an offer of one price and had a price $20 cheaper if you went through the website. I had to call a customer service person, cancel my first purchase, and then repurchase the software to get the cheaper price. The other nuisance is the mail-in rebate. Last time, I mailed in a print out of my email receipt to prove purchase and received a letter saying that the receipt was not sufficient. I had to phone, spend the usual period on hold, and negotiate to finally get my rebate.

Bought Toast 9 on 11/28/08 heavily promoted at $69.99. Now Toast 10 similarly promoted in Jan 09 for $79.99. Left a "ticket" with Roxio to pursue more favorable upgrade price on Jan 7th. No response but lots more email offers to buy Toast 10. Finally I call an acerbic customer service person who offers upgrade price of $59.99 after making mistake of $79.99 on first pass. If I go for this then Toast 10 will cost $130 plus the privilege of using Toast 9 for just over a month.

Roxio - think this through for recent purchasers of your products that are upgraded. Think I'll stick with Toast 9 for now and share my experience with as many people as I can...

Also be advised that if you upgrade to Toast 10 versus a purchase you will not get the free plug-in. You are much better off if you can get it exchanged or get a refund and purchase 10.

I'm asking this question with as much sincerity as I can muster. I really do want to know if this is an "industry standard" upgrade policy, or just a Roxio one.

I purchased Roxio Toast 9 for $99 on Dec. 31st. Shortly thereafter I heard they released version 10. On January 5th I inquired about a free upgrade and was told it was $30.

I feel ripped off having gotten Toast in summer 2008.

It has never worked completely right, especially one of the major features I got it for: dragging videos from EyeTV to make DVDs (the dreaded -39 error).

Where did you see a $30 upgrade price?

When I go to their upgrade page the price is $60.

$60 is unbelievably steep for what should be just a minor version update in the first place. $30 is too much if the bigger bugs are not fixed.

Does anyone know if things like the -39 errors and other video problems are finally fixed?

What about the speed issues when burning where some burns are horribly slow? (other burn apps never do this).

I feel ripped off having gotten Toast in summer 2008.

It has never worked completely right, especially one of the major features I got it for: dragging videos from EyeTV to make DVDs (the dreaded -39 error).

Where did you see a $30 upgrade price?

When I go to their upgrade page the price is $60.

$60 is unbelievably steep for what should be just a minor version update in the first place. $30 is too much if the bigger bugs are not fixed.

Does anyone know if things like the -39 errors and other video problems are finally fixed?

What about the speed issues when burning where some burns are horribly slow? (other burn apps never do this).

Are you still having the -39 error after updating to Toast 9.0.4? I know that it happens with some EyeTV videos but it isn't common. The workaround for those troublesome videos is to choose Export in EyeTV, save as MPEG elementary stream and add the resulting .m2v video to Toast. I haven't seen it in Toast 10 but I rarely saw it in Toast 9. I don't make very many DVDs from EyeTV although I just made a very nice anamorphic 16x9 standard-definition DVD from a high-definition EyeTV capture of the inauguration that included editing using the Toast Video Player.

Regarding the speed issue, maybe you were seeing Toast re-encode some videos and multiplexing others. For EyeTV videos you can force the faster multiplexing by going to the custom encoder settings window and choosing Never with the button next to Re-encode.

As for the upgrade pricing, I have not seen anything other than the $59 upgrade price. As I recall it is the same as what Roxio charged for upgrading from Toast 7 to 8 and from 8 to 9. Perhaps the $30 upgrade mentioned by the OP is for those who purchased Toast 9 within a few weeks of the release of Toast 10.

Edited by tsantee