• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How Does Disk Recovery Work?

Pianoman1976

Question

(I accidently posted this question in the Toast 10 forum and used the wrong terminology. Hopefully this is why no one has responded.)

I'm wondering how the disk recovery feature works? I'm using the disk copy feature with disk recovery turned on to repair a 6 GB software title (DVD) that was slightly scratched. I'm curious to know technically, what's going on?

It's been running for three days straight! It's at 77% at the moment. I'm wanting to know if this is a typical wait time or if something is wrong.

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

If you open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder you should see that Toast is continuing to use resources.

Thanks. By activity monitor, it was still doing something. After 24 hours of it not moving on the progress bar at all and 36 total hrs, I had to give up because I needed to move my laptop and thus turn it off. 36 hours, most of which with the processor not having to do anything else was just too long particularly with no reason to suspect it'd ever finish.

(I accidently posted this question in the Toast 10 forum and used the wrong terminology. Hopefully this is why no one has responded.)

I'm wondering how the disk recovery feature works? I'm using the disk copy feature with disk recovery turned on to repair a 6 GB software title (DVD) that was slightly scratched. I'm curious to know technically, what's going on?

It's been running for three days straight! It's at 77% at the moment. I'm wanting to know if this is a typical wait time or if something is wrong.

Thanks.

Disc recovery does take a very long time to complete especially for a 6GB disc. In my experience it's taken as many as 4-5 days to complete a full recovery. My understanding is that Disc Recovery searches a disc bit by bit to retract as much data as possible. Because of this it could take days to complete. I hope this gives you a little relief as to why it take so long.

Disc recovery does take a very long time to complete especially for a 6GB disc. In my experience it's taken as many as 4-5 days to complete a full recovery. My understanding is that Disc Recovery searches a disc bit by bit to retract as much data as possible. Because of this it could take days to complete. I hope this gives you a little relief as to why it take so long.

So, is 16 hours and still working reasonable for 3.25 GB?

How does one tell the difference between "it may take a very long time" and it's never going to work ever?

Archived