sy2002

Avchd Audio Out-of-sync

Question

Hi all!

I am new to Toast. I bought Toast 10 to do the following on my MacBook Pro (Mac OS 10.5):

Use AVCHD high-definition (HD) movies from my Camcorder Sony HDR-SR1 to...

a) ... convert them to standard-definition (SD) and burn DVDs

B) ... convert / transcode them to other formats (e.g. MP4)

c) ... burn Blue Ray discs

The problem I am having is, that no matter what I do, which setting I tune and try, all resulting movies (transcoded from AVCHD to abovementioned (a) and (B)) have an out-of-sync audio track. I did not try © yet, because I am still waiting until my blue ray drive is delivered.

That means: Input AVCHD => Toast / Transcode ) => Output: Audio is about 1 second behind Video

Has anybody here in the forum made any experiences with AVCHD, maybe even AVCHDs from a Sony HDR-SR1?

Might this be a codec problem? Or even a known problem?

Are there workarounds or other software I could use, if Toast cannot do it?

Greets

Sy2002

Edited by sy2002

17 answers to this question

When you preview the AVCHD file on the Mac, was it in sync? Also, how long is the video? Does it happen to both long clips and short clips?

Edited by gaper1

Thanks for your feedback!

When I preview it using the Toast video player, then the following problem arises: The file (60 seconds long) is played back about 5 seoncds with audio and video in synch. Then after 5 seconds, the video playback stops (image freezes) but the audio continues.

Using the VLC player, the playback works fine, so the file in general is not corrupted (the Sony HDR-SR1 camera of course can also play it w/o problems).

About your other question: The video is about 60-100 MB in size (1-2 minutes HD). It happens to both: long and short clips...

When you preview the AVCHD file on the Mac, was it in sync? Also, how long is the video? Does it happen to both long clips and short clips?

HI

I have the same problem audio out of sync on all files short and long,

Canon HF10, New Panasonic AVCam

Had no problems with v9

Ryan

is it possible for you to provide a sample file?

Yes - I'll provide a sample file. Looking for a download server and then I'll send the link via a private message to you (I don't want the files to be "open" in the internet).

Hi,

Did you find a solution?

Hi all!

I am new to Toast. I bought Toast 10 to do the following on my MacBook Pro (Mac OS 10.5):

Use AVCHD high-definition (HD) movies from my Camcorder Sony HDR-SR1 to...

a) ... convert them to standard-definition (SD) and burn DVDs

B) ... convert / transcode them to other formats (e.g. MP4)

c) ... burn Blue Ray discs

The problem I am having is, that no matter what I do, which setting I tune and try, all resulting movies (transcoded from AVCHD to abovementioned (a) and (B)) have an out-of-sync audio track. I did not try © yet, because I am still waiting until my blue ray drive is delivered.

That means: Input AVCHD => Toast / Transcode ) => Output: Audio is about 1 second behind Video

Has anybody here in the forum made any experiences with AVCHD, maybe even AVCHDs from a Sony HDR-SR1?

Might this be a codec problem? Or even a known problem?

Are there workarounds or other software I could use, if Toast cannot do it?

Greets

Sy2002

Hi,

Did you find a solution?

Hi Trojan29,

not yet. The Roxio Support contacted me and is currently investigating the case together with the developers. Might be a PAL specific issue.

Greets

Sy2002

Thanks Sy2002.

I've had to use a temporary fix by sliding the audio over a bit (in FCP) but this is certainly not a long term fix.

Let me know if you hear anything and I'll do the same.

Take care.

Hi Trojan29,

not yet. The Roxio Support contacted me and is currently investigating the case together with the developers. Might be a PAL specific issue.

Greets

Sy2002

Hi.

Same problem for me. Whatever the conversion format/setting I use there is an out of sync audio track.

My files are in AVCHD coming from a Sony HDR SR11.

Hi Trojan29,

Greets

Sy2002

It is not a Pal specific issue. I am having the same problem in NTSC.

My audio is off by about 10 frames.

My files are in AVCHD coming from a Panasonic HMC-150.

Does not matter the length of the clips.

This is what we just received from Supprt:

Thank you for contacting Roxio Technical Support

As stated previously, this is a known issue as far as audio/video sync when using AVCHD files. We are currently researching a solution and ask that you periodically check for software updates. Thank you.

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support

Has this issue been fixed with the 10.0.2 update? I'm using Toast 9.0.5 and having audio sync issues trying to convert AVCHD Lite mts files from a new Panasonic ZS3 digital camera. I'd upgrade to Toast 10.0.2 is it resolved the audio sync issues. Thanks.

Has this issue been fixed with the 10.0.2 update? I'm using Toast 9.0.5 and having audio sync issues trying to convert AVCHD Lite mts files from a new Panasonic ZS3 digital camera. I'd upgrade to Toast 10.0.2 is it resolved the audio sync issues. Thanks.

In 10.0.1 it has *not* been solved.

Didn't try 10.0.2, yet.

In 10.0.1 it has *not* been solved.

Didn't try 10.0.2, yet.

I've just bought Toast 10 Pro and after the upgrade to 10.0.2 I still have audio/video sync issues when converting footage from my Panasonic HS300 (.mts) to either AIC for use in Final Cut Express HD or converting to DVD (mpeg2).

Checking the version history, it does not appear that a fix for this issue is infact included in 10.0.2

Toast 10 Version History

Toast 10 Titanium v10.0.2

- Resolves crash issue that may occur with some FLAC audio files

- Resolves issue when converting QuickTime movies with text tracks

- Improved handling of corrupt PCM audio packets

So time to open a ticket for this.

So time to open a ticket for this.

@Mockery: Yeah, please do! Possibly Roxio forgot about mine, since it is already a few monthes old.

I just bought Toast 10, and then upgraded to 10.0.2 and the audio is definitely off doing a conversion from AVCHD (1440x1080) to HDV format. Rather than go to AIC, I wanted to go to HDV (imperceptible quality loss) in one step so I could easily intermix with other HDV footage without having to render the AIC video in my otherwise HDV timeline.

However, the audio in the conversion is off.

iMovie imported the AVCHD to AIC format without any problems and the audio is in synch.

I bought Toast 10 specifically to do this conversion from AVCHD to HDV so am disappointed in the product.

Update: After seeing Roxio's confirmation of the defect, I returned the product to my retailer for a refund.

Edited by Ed Mitchell

<!--quoteo(post=253660:date=Jan 28 2009, 04:33 PM:name=Trojan29)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Trojan29 @ Jan 28 2009, 04:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=253660"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi,

Did you find a solution?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hi Trojan29,

Greets

Sy2002

I just made my first full HD iMovie (about 3 minutes in length) and the sound is out of sync also. I played it on my PS3.