• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Bot Same As Sonic Simple Backup?

royhrod

Question

Several years ago, I got an HP computer that I believe had the Sonic Simple Backup software bundled with it. I tried the program recently and it seemed to work OK at first. With that, I went ahead and backed up a lot of files to a DVD.

Shortly after that, I had some major problems with the computer and tried to "restore" one of the backed up files onto another computer (both computers were running Windows XP Home, but only the original had Sonic backup S/W on it). It looked as if the transfer from DVD to the 2nd computer went well, but when I tried to open the file, I was denied access. I'm wondering now if the file did not get uncompressed or decrypted when it was put on the new computer - due to not having the backup software on both computers.

I'm asking for help on this forum because when I tried the Sonic site I was transferred to Roxio BackonTrack. I therefore assumed that BOT is a later version of Simple Backup. If what I suspect is true, then would installing BOT on the second computer resolve the problem?

Thanks for any advice you can give me on this.

2 answers to this question

The only relation between Simple Backup and BOT is they are both backup programs. Simple Backup was a Sonic program; they bought BOT later.

I made the same mistake you did, the difference being I didn't need the backup because my computer was restored.

There are two different things referred to as "backup" - an archive of things you created, and an emergency restore setup. I'm not sure which category Simple Backup fell into, but the one time I later used it - to try to get a program to work again when a reinstall didn't help - it seemed to do nothing at all.

You might try HP, or you might see if you can get an old copy of RecordNow (I had V.7.3) so you have something to install on the new computer you are trying to put it onto. I believe Simple Backup has some kind of compression, which would make it impossible to simply copy it using IE (or other browser) to do a restore.

Now that you are wiser, next time make an archive backup - of any .doc's, .jpg's, etc, that you want to save - with a sessions-based program such as Sonic RecordNow Data Disc, the WinXP built-in burning ability, etc. Then after it finishes burning, put it in another drive - or even a drive on another computer - and make sure you can read it.

For now, see what you can do via HP, or amazon.com or eBay or similar - it would help if you know which Version you are looking for, HP MIGHT be willing to at least divulge that.

Lynn

The only relation between Simple Backup and BOT is they are both backup programs. Simple Backup was a Sonic program; they bought BOT later.

I made the same mistake you did, the difference being I didn't need the backup because my computer was restored.

There are two different things referred to as "backup" - an archive of things you created, and an emergency restore setup. I'm not sure which category Simple Backup fell into, but the one time I later used it - to try to get a program to work again when a reinstall didn't help - it seemed to do nothing at all.

You might try HP, or you might see if you can get an old copy of RecordNow (I had V.7.3) so you have something to install on the new computer you are trying to put it onto. I believe Simple Backup has some kind of compression, which would make it impossible to simply copy it using IE (or other browser) to do a restore.

Now that you are wiser, next time make an archive backup - of any .doc's, .jpg's, etc, that you want to save - with a sessions-based program such as Sonic RecordNow Data Disc, the WinXP built-in burning ability, etc. Then after it finishes burning, put it in another drive - or even a drive on another computer - and make sure you can read it.

For now, see what you can do via HP, or amazon.com or eBay or similar - it would help if you know which Version you are looking for, HP MIGHT be willing to at least divulge that.

Lynn

Lynn,

Thanks for all the good info. Now I have some things to look into instead of sitting here pulling my hair out.

Roy

Archived