Copy One Hard Drive To Another

mecjac1

What are you trying to do?

If it's replacing one hard drive with another, then you need something like Symentec Ghost - if it's just a matter of transferring files from a primary drive to a secondary, then Windows Explorer will move the files (not the program ones - just your data)

thanks I am trying to move all data to a new drive, thought maybe creator 10 had a utility I could use to copy the whole drive then plant it on the new one, quess I'll have to try the soft ware you pointed to. Thanks

You are not making clear exactly what you want. At one point you say you want to move "all data" and then you say "copy the whole drive".

If all you want is to copy the data files (documents, jpegs, video files, etc and not any installed program files) then all you need is Windows Explorer. Roxio of course can also copy data files.

If you want to copy every including the ssystem files then you need something like Ghost

I have (unfortunately) had some recent experience with something like this. My source data was less than 10Gbytes. One method that I used is the DOS "xcopy" command. I open a "DOS command prompt" window, then enter the following:

xcopy C:\* [DrvLtr]:\{folder...} /C /Q /H /E

where [DrvLtr] is the *target* drive's Letter, and

{folder...} is optional folder\subfolder that you desire (probably optional) (could also be specified with the "source" drive (which does not have to be C:))

and /C = continue even if error occurs

/Q = quiet mode (does *not* list each filename)

/H = include hidden and system files

and /E = include empty files

Those parms -- C, Q, H, E -- are optional; many others are available. Enter "help xcopy" for descriptions.

My use of this was just for backup(s).

I now remember why I used the xcopy command rather than just drag-and-drop with WinExplorer.

When an error occurred, the drag-and-drop method would *stop* completely. There were several problems with files in "Documents and Settings". and also in the Windows folder; maybe some others here and there. So there were two or three dozen errors *noted* with xcopy, but it kept on copying after each. And most of those errors were for really minor files -- "Default" this and "default" that in \Windows, and something similar in DocsSets.

But the "Continue" parm kept it going.

xcopy is probably a bit deep for most users here - I cut my teeth on command line working (and can still write a .bat file is the need arises )

However, in this case we still aren't certain just what the OP actually wants to do - if it's install the complete system, move docs, move apps or what. Each of those would have a separate answer (and yes, you can move an app from one drive to another if you know how to do it without having the registry throw a wobbly fit :lol:)

thanks I am trying to move all data to a new drive, thought maybe creator 10 had a utility I could use to copy the whole drive then plant it on the new one, quess I'll have to try the soft ware you pointed to. Thanks

There are more questions... what type of system are you running, desktop/tower or laptop?

If you're running a desktop/tower system, what about just adding another drive instead of replacing the old one? That's actually much easier then trying to "move" your OS and everything to a new drive. By adding the drive, you can move the "Data" files from your old drive to the new one to free up space, then use the new drive for additional data.

Let us know.

Thanks everybody I do need to replace the drive, want to copy the whole drive,OS, programs, and files to a new drive. the computer is a desktop OS XP. Looks like the gost program is the way to go.

Ghost is a good solution. If you happen to have Acronis True Image, that also has a utility for cloning a drive.

Thanks everybody I do need to replace the drive, want to copy the whole drive,OS, programs, and files to a new drive. the computer is a desktop OS XP. Looks like the gost program is the way to go.

At one time both Seagate and Western Digital hard drives came with several utility software applications on a cd. One of the utilities allow you to clone the old disk to the new. I just purchased a new Seagate drive to dedicate to Windows 7 beta 1, it came with such cloning software. I have used these applications in the past to clone drives and they work great. OEM hard drives such as is often on sale at NewEgg, etc, do not come with this software.

Before spending money un-necessarily on a third party application, why not get the hdd first and see if such cloning software is included, if so you have save $$. If not included, then buy Ghost or whatever.

At one time both Seagate and Western Digital hard drives came with several utility software applications on a cd. One of the utilities allow you to clone the old disk to the new. I just purchased a new Seagate drive to dedicate to Windows 7 beta 1, it came with such cloning software. I have used these applications in the past to clone drives and they work great. OEM hard drives such as is often on sale at NewEgg, etc, do not come with this software.

Before spending money un-necessarily on a third party application, why not get the hdd first and see if such cloning software is included, if so you have save $$. If not included, then buy Ghost or whatever.

Ah yes, good point. One of the last Seagate drives I bought came with a cut down version of Acronis that had the disc cloning utility!

Ah yes, good point. One of the last Seagate drives I bought came with a cut down version of Acronis that had the disc cloning utility!

Sometimes when you register the hard drive with the manufacturer, you have the opportunity to download a cut down version of a program that does what he wants to do.

It depends on the manufacturer though.

Archived