• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 9 Screwing Up Dvd Video Quality?

rebert

Question

I digitized a VHS video tape to my hard drive. The resulting video, while old (a bit of color shift is present), the sync & stability of the image is rock solid -- no tracking or other issues visible. I can play the file back in a number of video players (VLC, EyeTV, Toast Video Player) and it looks fine. The original VHS tape displayed on an LCD TV (using composite video input) shows no imperfection; it is clean.

After I burn the video to a Memorex DVD+R(DL) disc, the video now has "tearing" of the lowest few lines of video (about 3/8 inch (10 mm)) at the bottom of the video window. This introduced defect is visible when the DVD is played on the computer using any of the several DVD player applications available, displayed on an LCD display.

Here's the video file being played from hard drive:

<http://www.imagecross.com/04/image-hosting-view-19.php?id=9768Picture-17.png>

and from the burned DVD:

<http://www.imagecross.com/04/image-hosting-view-19.php?id=5301Picture-16.png>

The DVD is being played on the very same DVD drive that it was burned on.

Is this a common problem with Toast? My Googling and search of these forums shows nothing.

Wazzup?

Thanks & peace.

Mac Mini 1.83 GHz

OS X 10.5.6

Toast Titanium 9

6 answers to this question

Yes, when I view a saved Toast disc image the distortion at the bottom of the frame is present.

It is confirmed, then, that it isn't a media issue. How are you bringing the EyeTV recording into Toast: are you sending from Toast using the EyeTV software or are you using the EyeTV link in the Toast Media Browser? Something to try is to choose Export from the EyeTV application and choose the option to export as separate (or elementary) streams. Then drag the resulting .m2v file to Toast. It will automatically add the audio track or ask you to locate it. This may change the result. Choose Save as Disc Image so you don't waste any discs on this test.

I'm presuming the spec for the source video is 720x480, 30fps.

I also burn these to give to others.

Makes sense. Can you ask any of them if the distortion shows up when played on their TV? If it doesn't then you'll know its only a problem when played on a computer and you can choose to play the MPEG-only version on your system.

The link for this brand/type of blank disc:

<http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?dvdmediadvdridsearch=RITEKS04>

and has a total of 1 user entry/review/report.

It's great you got these instead of some of the others that Memorex sells. Here's the summary of all the Memorex DL discs. Here's a summary of all the Verbatim DL discs.

Does this appear when played on your TV? It may be that this is in the overscan area.

Memorex is poor quality media and that could be the problem, but maybe not in this case.

How did you get the digitized video into Toast? What was used to digitize the video? What settings did you use in Toast? Are you using Toast 9.0.4?

Does this appear when played on your TV? It may be that this is in the overscan area.

Memorex is poor quality media and that could be the problem, but maybe not in this case.

How did you get the digitized video into Toast? What was used to digitize the video? What settings did you use in Toast? Are you using Toast 9.0.4?

Playing the VHS video tape to LCD TV, no visible video problems; it's clean. I have no stand-alone DVD player so cannot answer for that configuration (I watch all DVDs on my computer & LCD monitor).

Memorex DVDs (DL) has given me only 2 coasters out of about 50 discs. What brand of DL discs do you use/recommend?

I digitized the VHS tape using Miglia TVmax hardware and EyeTV software. Used default settings -- only eliminated menus (play immediately). Resulting EyeTV file dropped onto Toast. Yes, Toast 9.0.4.

Playing the VHS video tape to LCD TV, no visible video problems; it's clean. I have no stand-alone DVD player so cannot answer for that configuration (I watch all DVDs on my computer & LCD monitor).

Memorex DVDs (DL) has given me only 2 coasters out of about 50 discs. What brand of DL discs do you use/recommend?

I digitized the VHS tape using Miglia TVmax hardware and EyeTV software. Used default settings -- only eliminated menus (play immediately). Resulting EyeTV file dropped onto Toast. Yes, Toast 9.0.4.

I'm not sure what the cause for this is, nor do I know what, if anything, can be done about it. What is changed from your source MPEG video to the video DVD is that it has been converted and multiplexed into VOBs. This seems to be where the interference is happening. It's possible the video itself is not distorted but the playing back of it shows a distortion which normally would be hidden in the overscan area on a TV set.

Something to test is to choose Save as Disc Image. When it is done mount the disc image and watch the movie with whatever DVD-playing application you choose. Is the distortion present?

Since you always play these videos on your computer it isn't necessary to create a video DVD. You can merely save the source MPEG video as a Data file to play in VLC. That would save a lot of time.

As for my remark about Memorex media, there were lots of posts here and elsewhere about trouble burning or playing those discs; especially the DL discs. Insert one of those discs and choose Disc Info from the Recorder menu in Toast. In the window that appears you'll see a hotlink that sends you to a page where users submit reports for media with that particular manufacturing code. It may be that Memorex is using a better supplier than they did in the past. I recommend Verbatim discs. The issue you're reporting doesn't seem like a media issue, however.

Can you ask any of them if the distortion shows up when played on their TV? If it doesn't then you'll know its only a problem when played on a computer and you can choose to play the MPEG-only version on your system.

I want to give them the highest quality possible, so I'm kinda stuck in a "catch 22": can't tell if the distortion is there (visible to them) without giving some of them out...

It's great you got these instead of some of the others that Memorex sells. ... a summary of all the Verbatim DL discs.

Verbatim looks to be the ticket...

Something to test is to choose Save as Disc Image. When it is done mount the disc image and watch the movie with whatever DVD-playing application you choose. Is the distortion present?

Yes, when I view a saved Toast disc image the distortion at the bottom of the frame is present.

Since you always play these videos on your computer it isn't necessary to create a video DVD. You can merely save the source MPEG video as a Data file to play in VLC. That would save a lot of time.

I also burn these to give to others.

As for my remark about Memorex media, there were lots of posts here and elsewhere about trouble burning or playing those discs; especially the DL discs. Insert one of those discs and choose Disc Info from the Recorder menu in Toast. In the window that appears you'll see a hotlink that sends you to a page where users submit reports for media with that particular manufacturing code. It may be that Memorex is using a better supplier than they did in the past. I recommend Verbatim discs. The issue you're reporting doesn't seem like a media issue, however.

The link for this brand/type of blank disc:

<http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?dvdmediadvdridsearch=RITEKS04>

and has a total of 1 user entry/review/report.

Archived