Photosuite 7 - Invert Color

jcw40552

Question

Is there a way to scan a negative and change it to a black/white photo in Photosuite?? I know there are many Photo programs that offer this feature. I am just not sure if it is a feature of Photosuite. If it isn't, then Photosuite is very limited in functionality.

17 answers to this question

O.K. Bruce---Glad you found the down loaded pdf manual. The transparency adapter that you use to scan negatives and slides with, plugs into the back of the main scanner body on the 7400c. I hate the way they arranged the cable hook ups however. They always seem to fall out of their socket, so I finally took some strapping tape and taped all of them to the main scanner body. Looks like crap from behind buy you can't see them from the front. I have really made good use of this particular scanner. It reproduces color photo scans beautifully.

I used the 35mm slide adapter some time ago when I got real ambitious and scanned more than 500 of old 35mm color negative slides I had from years before. Most all of them came out real good except for a few where the color had fadded pretty bad. Since then I haven't used the slide adapter much at all.

However, back to the OP's problem. I am still wondering if the all-in-one scanner he has will scan negatives or has a transparency adapter. Most all-in-one scanners are not capable of scanning negatives as far as I know. Waitimng to see exactly what make and model scanner the OP has.

Frank.....

O.K. Bruce---Glad you found the down loaded pdf manual. The transparency adapter that you use to scan negatives and slides with, plugs into the back of the main scanner body on the 7400c. I hate the way they arranged the cable hook ups however. They always seem to fall out of their socket, so I finally took some strapping tape and taped all of them to the main scanner body. Looks like crap from behind buy you can't see them from the front. I have really made good use of this particular scanner. It reproduces color photo scans beautifully.

I used the 35mm slide adapter some time ago when I got real ambitious and scanned more than 500 of old 35mm color negative slides I had from years before. Most all of them came out real good except for a few where the color had fadded pretty bad. Since then I haven't used the slide adapter much at all.

However, back to the OP's problem. I am still wondering if the all-in-one scanner he has will scan negatives or has a transparency adapter. Most all-in-one scanners are not capable of scanning negatives as far as I know. Waitimng to see exactly what make and model scanner the OP has.

Frank.....

Thanks, Frank. I just got my internet connection back after my ISP was down for the past 6 hours. My next payment will reflect the service that they have provided. :) (It has been down quite often over the past 2 weeks.)

The connections on the HP 7400C are disgraceful. They stuck the connecitons way up under the back of the scanner. Darn tough to even see the connection points without standing the scanner on end.

Sure you do. Open Paint, add your negative, click on Image, then click on Invert Colors.

I know I can do it with other software, but I wanted to do everything with PhotoSuite 7.

Sure you do. Open Paint, add your negative, click on Image, then click on Invert Colors.

Is there a way to do this in PhotoSuite 7??

Thanks for the other information about "Paint"

Frank.....

The Printer will "scan" the negatives into a file the way I would expect it to. My main question was that I cannot find anywhere in Photo Suite 7 where you can make the negative into a positive. As I said, if I use HP's Image Zone software I can do exactally what I want to. If I use "ULead" Photo software, I can do it. Why not Photosuite 7?? BTW my hardware for scanning is hp Officejet 6110xi "All-in-one".

Perhaps you missed this in an earlier post. .

You should be able to scan via Import, photos, select the option for your scanner - "Twain". That should open your scanner program so you can choose the negative or slide input.

You are still trying to import a negative into the program and then change it there. This program will not do that. You must use the program that came with your HP scanner to scan the negative and convert it for PhotoSuite to work with. It is a photo editing program; not a twain scanner program. I bet that Ulead will not do it either and is relying on the scnner program. In that case, it may be more invisible.

The Printer will "scan" the negatives into a file the way I would expect it to. My main question was that I cannot find anywhere in Photo Suite 7 where you can make the negative into a positive. As I said, if I use HP's Image Zone software I can do exactally what I want to. If I use "ULead" Photo software, I can do it. Why not Photosuite 7?? BTW my hardware for scanning is hp Officejet 6110xi "All-in-one".

Check the help files to see if the information that you want is there.

I checked all help files and Roxio Home. Noone seems to know if it has this capability or not. That is why I hoped someone here could help.

Thanks,

Jim

Does your scanner scan negatives?

If I scan with HP ImageZone it will. It is HP All-in-One Officejet. It is not a Photo scanner. I have used Ulead Photo and HP Imagezone - they both will do the job, but I felt that Photosuite should also do it. I guess that I will need to purchase a Photo Scanner to do the job.

Thanks for the help,

Jim

Most All-in-Ones do not scan slides or negatives. If that one has slide and negative holders, it will. Also, not all photo scanners will scan slides and negatives. Make sure that whichever one you buy has those capabilities. Check out the Epson refurbished web site for some good deals.

When you have a color image loaded into Photosuite, look at effects to see if there is a black and white effect. I have EMC 8 loaded and it is there. That would be a pretty basic effect so it is probably in EMC 7/7.5

If I scan with HP ImageZone it will. It is HP All-in-One Officejet. It is not a Photo scanner. I have used Ulead Photo and HP Imagezone - they both will do the job, but I felt that Photosuite should also do it. I guess that I will need to purchase a Photo Scanner to do the job.

Thanks for the help,

Jim

Most All-in-Ones do not scan slides or negatives. If that one has slide and negative holders, it will. Also, not all photo scanners will scan slides and negatives. Make sure that whichever one you buy has those capabilities. Check out the Epson refurbished web site for some good deals.

When you have a color image loaded into Photosuite, look at effects to see if there is a black and white effect. I have EMC 8 loaded and it is there. That would be a pretty basic effect so it is probably in EMC 7/7.5

My All-in-One allows me to "Scan" the negative. After it is on my system - I do not have any way to reverse the image so that a "negative" becomes the "positive"

My All-in-One allows me to "Scan" the negative. After it is on my system - I do not have any way to reverse the image so that a "negative" becomes the "positive"

Do you have the color image on your computer?

If so, open Photosuite, load the image, select show all, select effects and scroll down to black and white. Click that. Photosuite is a photo editing program and a slide show creation program; not a photo capture program. I used a different computer with V 7 on it and was able to do it easily.

You must capture that image from slide using any program that will run and capture from a TWAIN device. You can use the program that came with the scanner. When you scan the negative (by using the holder) what do you get on the computer -- A copy of the negative or a color image of the picture?

Negative and slide scanners work differently from image scanners. Image scanners have a light source below and then the reflected image is "captured". Negative and slide scanners pass light through the negative or slide to do the capture. If your scanner has a light source both below and above the scnner deck, it will scan negatives and slides. You will have to remove the white reflective background sheet on your scanner. If it does not, you cannot.

Or am I missing something from your posts?

I know I can do it with other software, but I wanted to do everything with PhotoSuite 7. Is there a way to do this in PhotoSuite 7?? Thanks for the other information about "Paint"

I could be wrong here but when the OP says he can scan the negative with his all-in-one that really doesn't mean it is a scanner that can scan negatives and slides. The scanner I had before the one I have now, I could place a negative in it and it would scan it but it was just like scanning a black object with a few white areas in it and there was nothing that could be done with it to change it. The scanner I have now did come with a transparency and negative slide scanner ability (HP scanjet 7400c). And it does all of the above.

If the OP starts out with a scanner to begin with and wants to change a negative to a color positive then I think he does need a different scanner. BTW, what model scanner do you have ?

Frank....

I could be wrong here but when the OP says he can scan the negative with his all-in-one that really doesn't mean it is a scanner that can scan negatives and slides. The scanner I had before the one I have now, I could place a negative in it and it would scan it but it was just like scanning a black object with a few white areas in it and there was nothing that could be done with it to change it. The scanner I have now did come with a transparency and negative slide scanner ability (HP scanjet 7400c). And it does all of the above.

If the OP starts out with a scanner to begin with and wants to change a negative to a color positive then I think he does need a different scanner. BTW, what model scanner do you have ?

Frank....

Frank, I have the 7400C and have never used the slide scanner. I just found it, still in its package. LOL. I lost my user's manual shortly after I got the scanner, 3 or 4 years ago, so I don't even know what the slide scanner plugs into. I use the main scanner quite a bit.

Here you go Most of the scanners I've seen are pretty simple. Remove the white background from the lid, make sure that any wires from the lid are plugged into the bottom, place the slides in the holder and that onto the scanner glass. There should be some holes on the scanner deck and pegs on the holder to put the slides in the proper place. Use you scanner software with negatives or slides as the source and scan away. Most of the scanners default to about 300 dpi. If you want to crop and blow up the image, use something like 600 or more. I'm doing some scanning now while I listen to Folk Alley and posting on this board. Computers are fun (most of the time.) :)

I am surprised at the quality of the scanned negatives. I compare the scanned images to commercially printed pictures and the scanned images seem to be more "alive".

You should be able to scan via Import, photos, select the option for your scanner - "Twain". That should open your scanner program so you can choose the negative or slide input.

Frank, I have the 7400C and have never used the slide scanner. I just found it, still in its package. LOL. I lost my user's manual shortly after I got the scanner, 3 or 4 years ago, so I don't even know what the slide scanner plugs into. I use the main scanner quite a bit.

Here you go Most of the scanners I've seen are pretty simple. Remove the white background from the lid, make sure that any wires from the lid are plugged into the bottom, place the slides in the holder and that onto the scanner glass. There should be some holes on the scanner deck and pegs on the holder to put the slides in the proper place. Use you scanner software with negatives or slides as the source and scan away. Most of the scanners default to about 300 dpi. If you want to crop and blow up the image, use something like 600 or more. I'm doing some scanning now while I listen to Folk Alley and posting on this board. Computers are fun (most of the time.) :)

I am surprised at the quality of the scanned negatives. I compare the scanned images to commercially printed pictures and the scanned images seem to be more "alive".

Thanks, Steve. Right after I posted, I looked at the folders that I store downloaded drivers, etc. in. I found the owner's manual pdf file. I must have downloaded it right after I lost my hard copy. :huh:

Is there a way to scan a negative and change it to a black/white photo in Photosuite?? I know there are many Photo programs that offer this feature. I am just not sure if it is a feature of Photosuite. If it isn't, then Photosuite is very limited in functionality.

Check the help files to see if the information that you want is there.

Archived