DVD Builder does not build DVD size images

vpiercy

:) I have been using DVD Builder 6 for about 18 months now and then my Motherboard died. I cannot retrieve the original build from my ghost image so I have rebuilt with Windows 2000 again plus sp4 and the Driver files for the new Motherboard. I have installed CD/DVD Creator several times from the above and can only get the DVD Builder to encode at about 4 Frames per second on my new machine which is a 2800M Athlon. It used to build at 18 Frames per second on my old Athlon 2000. The worst thing is that when the DVD Image build finally finishes, the resulting file size is 635.374 Meg although DVD Builder told me that it would be between 3837 and 4507 Meg when it started. I have applied updates to version 6.2.0.110 which is what I was using before and have applied the du20041203 file which should recognise my NEC ND-3520AW DVD Writer according to the Web Site. I have also tried the NEC ND-2500A DVD Writer (which I used on my old Motherboard) as well but nothing seems to restore the performance and building capability to what is was before. When I run Rox Assist, it says it has run successfully but responds with a "TBL" code.

I have versions 7.0, 7.5 and 8.0 but there are DVDs which I still want to create with DVD Builder 6.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can resolve this situation?

Thanks

:) I have been using DVD Builder 6 for about 18 months now and then my Motherboard died. I cannot retrieve the original build from my ghost image so I have rebuilt with Windows 2000 again plus sp4 and the Driver files for the new Motherboard. I have installed CD/DVD Creator several times from the above and can only get the DVD Builder to encode at about 4 Frames per second on my new machine which is a 2800M Athlon. It used to build at 18 Frames per second on my old Athlon 2000. The worst thing is that when the DVD Image build finally finishes, the resulting file size is 635.374 Meg although DVD Builder told me that it would be between 3837 and 4507 Meg when it started. I have applied updates to version 6.2.0.110 which is what I was using before and have applied the du20041203 file which should recognise my NEC ND-3520AW DVD Writer according to the Web Site. I have also tried the NEC ND-2500A DVD Writer (which I used on my old Motherboard) as well but nothing seems to restore the performance and building capability to what is was before. When I run Rox Assist, it says it has run successfully but responds with a "TBL" code.

I have versions 7.0, 7.5 and 8.0 but there are DVDs which I still want to create with DVD Builder 6.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can resolve this situation?

Thanks

What are your Project Settings???

James

Preferences are PAL, Show video check, Captured Video and Temporary files onto an NTFS disk with 52 Gig free, Low Compression, Optimsed quality and Play next title. A 19.7 Gig avi file as the Intro Movie with a standard theme. when I build the image, the Output Disk Type is set for DVD (or Mini DVD). I then select advanced and have to tick the "Save Project as Image File on Hard Disk" which I believe means that DVD Builder recognises the DVD Writer. I the write the image to a file on the NTFS disk with 52 Gig free. DVD Builder then advises me that the Project will be between 4170 Meg and 4840 Meg and do I wish to continue. I hit the Yes and DVD Builder then starts to build at 4 frames per second. I have built something in excess of 100 disks on my old Mother Board using these settings.

Vince

James

Preferences are PAL, Show video check, Captured Video and Temporary files onto an NTFS disk with 52 Gig free, Low Compression, Optimsed quality and Play next title. A 19.7 Gig avi file as the Intro Movie with a standard theme. when I build the image, the Output Disk Type is set for DVD (or Mini DVD). I then select advanced and have to tick the "Save Project as Image File on Hard Disk" which I believe means that DVD Builder recognises the DVD Writer. I the write the image to a file on the NTFS disk with 52 Gig free. DVD Builder then advises me that the Project will be between 4170 Meg and 4840 Meg and do I wish to continue. I hit the Yes and DVD Builder then starts to build at 4 frames per second. I have built something in excess of 100 disks on my old Mother Board using these settings.

Vince

Vince: Never output to PAL but I believe the numbers would still hold true… The maximum Estimated Project Size for V6 is about 3.385gb.

If you are getting a warning, that would indicate your project exceeds that amount. Since you created an ISO look where it was stored for an overflow file. It will be named, projectname.dat.

Unless you captured with Builder, we have no way of knowing how compressed the source file may be. Time would be a clue.

I wanted to make sure you were set to Low Compression but that does not explain why it is moving along so slowly… Other things that I have seen affect it are competing tasks. I recall that if I play Hearts or surf the web while the render is going on it nearly ground to halt!

One other thing that could be happening is that the source file is way off in frame size. If it were 352 X 240 it will rally slow down trying to build it up to the 720 X 576 that PAL uses.

I am also curious with all the added features of V7 & V8 why you would choose to stay with V6? I initially liked the simplicity of V6 until I learned how to use V7. Now everything is done in V8 and I never even open V6 unless it is to research a user problem.

James

I am using a file that was captured by VideoWave 5 Power Edition from a DV source. I edit it in VideoWave 5 and then create a single avi file, again in videoWave 5. For this example, the avi file is 19,765 Meg and lasts for 1 hour 33 minutes. I have been encoding this type of file foe something like 18 months without any problems until my Motherboard died. I did try DVD Builder 7 but found that it would not build DVDs with introductions only (I use this type for a plug in and play DVD without menus). I am not sure whether v7.5 allows this or not. I have found that version 8 does not render the video as smoothly as version 6 when it was working. I have tried the building on DVD Builder 6 with both Low Compression and Automatic Compression but both seem to give the same symptoms. When I am creating a DVD, I always leave the machine alone and will use another if I have to do anything urgently. It's as if DVD Builder 6 is deciding that it will create an image which would be suitable for a mini DVD, not a full size DVD. Windows Media Player says the resolution is 360 x 288 but, this will be the same for all the others that I have created in the past. Generally, my DVDs are between 1 hour 33 up to almost two hours in duration. I have not been able to find any relevant dat files on any of my hard disks. I have just started a test build with NTSC and Low Compression but it still shows a frame rate of 5 frames per second.

The only other thing possibly of note is that my initial setup with the old Motherboard used an NEC ND-1300 until it packed up then it was replaced with the NEC ND-2500. I don't know if that could be relevent since I believe that the product supprted the ND-1300 on the CD installation.

Vince

James

I am using a file that was captured by VideoWave 5 Power Edition from a DV source. I edit it in VideoWave 5 and then create a single avi file, again in videoWave 5. For this example, the avi file is 19,765 Meg and lasts for 1 hour 33 minutes. I have been encoding this type of file foe something like 18 months without any problems until my Motherboard died. I did try DVD Builder 7 but found that it would not build DVDs with introductions only (I use this type for a plug in and play DVD without menus). I am not sure whether v7.5 allows this or not. I have found that version 8 does not render the video as smoothly as version 6 when it was working. I have tried the building on DVD Builder 6 with both Low Compression and Automatic Compression but both seem to give the same symptoms. When I am creating a DVD, I always leave the machine alone and will use another if I have to do anything urgently. It's as if DVD Builder 6 is deciding that it will create an image which would be suitable for a mini DVD, not a full size DVD. Windows Media Player says the resolution is 360 x 288 but, this will be the same for all the others that I have created in the past. Generally, my DVDs are between 1 hour 33 up to almost two hours in duration. I have not been able to find any relevant dat files on any of my hard disks. I have just started a test build with NTSC and Low Compression but it still shows a frame rate of 5 frames per second.

The only other thing possibly of note is that my initial setup with the old Motherboard used an NEC ND-1300 until it packed up then it was replaced with the NEC ND-2500. I don't know if that could be relevent since I believe that the product supprted the ND-1300 on the CD installation.

Vince

Vince: I have seen one or 2 folks with a European version of V6 that say they can get more than 1 hour of movie on a 4.7gb DVD using Low Compression. No one else has ever been able to do so!

I always suspected that it was done with Auto set which simply switches to High Compression as soon as it sees that Low Compression won't fit.

At HC you can fit about 95 minutes on a DVD which would be within the time you listed. Your frame size, 360 X 288 also seems to support that.

Still that does not resolve the slow rendering! I have never seen VW5 but you might try outputting the file with the same frame size. Try a short segment in either AVI or MPEG to see if that improves Builder's render.

Have you applied any updates to Builder? How about video card drivers and chipset drivers? (grasping at straws here!)

I understand your reasoning for keeping V8. There was a workaround in V7 by putting the movie in the Intro Title and a still pic in Title 1. Intro would play on insert but stop at Title 1.

V8 allows full control but some have reported what you saw during render. No details but one Guru here is reporting excellent results with V8 compared to V7 and other DVD software. He has not reached concrete conclusions yet, but we are watching.

James

I would agree that v8 is probably better than other packages but when I started building DVDs, I tried other packages such as the inbuilt DVD Writing of VideoWave 5PE, Pinnacle etc but could not get the consistent quality results that I received from DVD Builder 6. VideoWave 5 Power Edition was a chargeable add on to Version 6 DVD & CD Creator. It was bundled with version 5 and is now bundled with version 7, 7.5 and 8. I have found the version that is bundled within version 7.5 to be very good and user friendly with similar performace to VideWave 5 PE and it gives me the same size avi files after editing. With regard to the DVD Builder 6, I used to run it on automatic Compression and, as you say, it would drop down in quality when I approached 95 minutes. there was a threshold of about 97 minutes where it would build an image that was too big but this could be corrected by taking off about one minute or adding a minutes worth of padding at the back end for the avi file.

Further to my rendering problems, I have just carried out a test installation on version 6 on a different machine (newly rebuilt with Windows 2000 + required Drivers + Service Pack 4 only) which is a 3 Gig Athlon with 1 Gig memory running with my NEC ND-2500A DVD Writer (firmware upgraded to the latest v1.0A) and a Gainward video card which is an NVidia GeoForce 4 running with Drivers that I downloaded about 1 month ago. Beyond that, an Adaptec Firewire card, Creative sound card and Lucent Modem all of which were used with the previous motherboard. On initial installation, Roxassist reported that it could not recognise my drive although CD Creator showed it as the default drive. I then upgraded the installation with v6.2.0.110 Engine and apllications (DVD Builder 1.2.0.110) and have installed du20030930, du20040820 and du20041203. After reboot, the error messages went away. I will be trying a test Build shortly and will report the results. I have tried the latest engine 6.2.0.134 before but this did not make any difference so I have only installed the upgrades that I used before.

Vince

James

I just tried another build with a 29 minute avi file which is 6.1 Gig in size. Momentarilty, the frames per second shot up to 43 but it then dropped back down to the dismal 9 frames per second which I seem to get out of the 3 Gig machine. I did burn a DVD using CD Creator before I tried the build just in case the software needed convincing that the Writer could support DVD writing.

I have just burnt one of the small rendered files onto a CD an put it into my portable DVD player. the player reports it as a mini DVD. This seems to play OK but, of course, the quality is very low. Do you think that DVD Builder 6 thinks that the DVD Writer will only support CD writing and, therefore, it will only build an image that will fit on a CD and, of course, if so why will it not build the full size DVD? I think that is where we started. Do you think that it is possible that when I built my very original setup with the NEC ND-1300and then changed it to the ND-2500A, there was something left in the registry which fooled DVD Builder into thinking it still had the DVD writing capability of the ND-1300 DVD Writer?

Vince

James

I just tried another build with a 29 minute avi file which is 6.1 Gig in size. Momentarilty, the frames per second shot up to 43 but it then dropped back down to the dismal 9 frames per second which I seem to get out of the 3 Gig machine. I did burn a DVD using CD Creator before I tried the build just in case the software needed convincing that the Writer could support DVD writing.

I have just burnt one of the small rendered files onto a CD an put it into my portable DVD player. the player reports it as a mini DVD. This seems to play OK but, of course, the quality is very low. Do you think that DVD Builder 6 thinks that the DVD Writer will only support CD writing and, therefore, it will only build an image that will fit on a CD and, of course, if so why will it not build the full size DVD? I think that is where we started. Do you think that it is possible that when I built my very original setup with the NEC ND-1300and then changed it to the ND-2500A, there was something left in the registry which fooled DVD Builder into thinking it still had the DVD writing capability of the ND-1300 DVD Writer?

Vince

I've never used V6, but is there an option to set hardware vs. software rendering? I believe there is in 7.5 and 8, and if your video card supports rendering, that may speed up the process. Hopefully James will know.

I've never used V6, but is there an option to set hardware vs. software rendering? I believe there is in 7.5 and 8, and if your video card supports rendering, that may speed up the process. Hopefully James will know.

V6 uses Software rendering, no selector, no choice.

Not sure it will make any difference but make sure you have DVD selected rather than Mini DVD. (I think this will only make a difference in the Est Project size)

Double check that you are set to Low Compression and try another Burn.

I did see very slow rendering once with V6 but for the life of me, cannot recall what fixed it!

You do have you video card drivers up to date as well as your burner firmware???

post-39-1146519128.jpg

Dave and James

Thanks to you both for your suggestions.

Dave,

I cannot find anything on DVD Builder which allows me to select whether I use Hardware or Software rendering. However, it has got me thinking that when I installed the original DVD Builder 6 onto my Athlon 2000 system, I already had a couple of other programs installed one of which was InterVideo WinDVD (Creator and Player) and, possibly, also an Adaptec DVD utility which cam with my FireWire card. I need to find this out as well to try and duplicate the original setup. My thoughs are centred arounf the possibility that the rendering masy have been handled by one of these other programs.

James,

I have checked in the past that I have DVD selected not mini DVD and, aws you say, it probably only alters the projected Project size.

My Video Card is running ther same software that it was running on my old Athlon 200 board whcen DVD Builder worked and I have updated the DVD Burner to the latest NEC firmware release. I have also tried a new Video card in my other machine but thwat does not make any difference either.

When I install DVD Builder from the original CD, Roxio Assistant pops a dialogue box up after the reboot which says that it does not recognise my DVD Writer. I have then upgraded the Engine and added the Drive Updates. When I then run RoxAssist, it only gives me a result code of TBL whereas before the Engine upgrade, it gave me a result code of, I think, DDM. It does not tell me that the Engine has been successfully initialised.

I have also installed VideoWave 5 and upgraded that to recognise my DVD Writer and that will burn full size DVDs. I then installed the Engine update for the Easy CD & DVD Writer complete with the Driver files hoping that that would make a difference. However, when I installed the main product, RoxAssist still reported that it did not recognise my DVD Writer.

It looks like you have installede DVD Builder 6. did you use a DVD Writer that the base product recognised or did it only recognise it after applying Engine and Driver updates? Did your installation build DVDs correctly?

I will try rebuilding as mentioned above and see if it makes any difference. I am also going to speak to one of my Colleagues who has been building DVDs for a long time try and see if he has an old DVD Writer which is supported by the original DVD Builder installation disk to see if that makes any difference.

Vince

Running out of really good ideas…

Curious what the format is when you output from VW5? If it is too far off from the output of Builder a lot of time is going to be spent re-rendering. Ideally the source format should match or exceed the output format.

Don’t discount drivers! Video drivers have solved a lot of "unrelated" problems. Likewise firmware updates for burners have been the key to some.

FYI: V6 is a hybrid in that it uses a drive list but only for older drives – 2+ years or so. It also uses dynamic disc detection, found on all newer drives, to determine what a drive can do. V7 & V8 only use dynamic drive detection and have no drive list, nor do they need one.

• 1 month later...

James

I have at last solved the problem. I was on Roxio's web site yesterday and found new updates for CD Creator 6.2.0.111 and DVD Builder 1.2.0.111. I do not know when these appeared but it was quite recent. Anyway, I have installed these updates on my build with the 6.2.0.134 Engine and Driver updates and run tests on two different machines. In both cases, the DVD Builder performed correctly and produced clean and smooth DVDs (121 minutes on a DVD -R) as it always used to. One for the memory.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Vince

Archived