• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Videowave

outerbank

Question

About ready to add music tracks to a slideshow. Any tips or precautions when doing so? The slideshow is quite lengthy (photos from a trip to Italy last spring). Would like to segment the music track into 4 distinct parts to match the segments in the slideshow. The slideshow is continuous but is designed to be stopped at four distinct points.

21 answers to this question

I've got 24 GB of free space on my 56 MB hard drive. This includes the slideshow file. The time length of the slideshow is 40 minutes to match the time length of the audio track. The 1GB of memory is installed and I've just fired up the computer. Will soon find out if the upgraded memory makes a difference.

Just got back to my computer. From MyDVD and after adding the video I plan to burn, I clicked on "Burn", cleared the check mark under the "Disc" heading and then under the "Image File" heading I clicked "Save to Image File". This then showed location as: C:\Documents and Settings\et al\My Documents\My Videos\Image.iso.

What about under "Folder Set"? Should I also click on "Create Folder Set"? By the way, at the bottom of this window no "OK" box is displayed to click. Only Burn, Cancel and Help is shown. I did click on Help, but that didn'tprovide much "help".

You know you are really going to have to try a little… It isn't as though your PC is going to blow up in your face… :o

Well my computer finally completed the task of burning to the image file. I've had paint dry faster than this. Oh well, it got the job done. I guess I'll have to spring for a computer with a faster CPU. What's the recommendation for doing this kind of projects. I have a bunch of old 8mm movies that I've wanted to convert to DVD.

One more question before ending this post. I opened Video Copy and Convert, clicked on My Videos and then clicked on the Image folder. This placed two image screens on the right hand pane. One is labeled image, the other is labeled movie 1. Which do I choose to burn a DVD of the slide show. Based on what it describes about each, I would select movie 1 because it appears that this contains all of the added features including the music track.

I added the sound track from my hard drive to my slideshow in VideoWave using media select. Checked the box for matching the length of the slideshow to the length of the sound track and saved my project. So far so good. Previewed the slideshow in VideoWave. Everything worked fine. Went to MyDVD, selected Add movie. This also went okay with the Menu that I selected. Clicked on burn DVD, selected the drive I wanted to use. The first attempt gave me an error message of "Critical error". Attempted the burn again. This time everything seemed to proceed indicating progress on both indicator bars. After quite some time had passed another error message appeared. This time the message was that there was a problem with my sound card, or that I may need to connect speakers. After closing the window I went back to VideoWave and previewed the slidshow again, playing it all the way to the end. Everything seemed to work fine. The audio was good, the slideshow completed itself without any problems, and the music track ended with the last slide. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the soundcard. I'm wondering if the Menu is creating a problem. I also added a shortclip of music to the menu, also from my hard drive, but from a different file. My next step is to just load the slideshow with audio to MyDVD without a menu. If this doesn't work I'm not sure what to do next. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

I don't like being flippant, but what do you mean try a little harder? I'm doing my best. This software is so lacking in instructional documentation I'm surprised that so many people seemed to have become experts in its use. And I'm not afraid of my computer blowing up. While I don't have expertise in this software, I do know how to operate other kinds of software. Software that came with good Help instructions.

While you suggest that I shouldn't fuss with the RAM on my computer, I beg to differ. While burning my project to the iso file, about 60% thru the burn the burn process stopped and a window appeared on the screen indicating that the virtual memory needed to be increased and that some of the data would be lost. After closing the window and exiting from MyDVD I went to the iso file and right clicked to check properties. About 50% of the project burned to the iso file. Very, very frustrating.

I added the sound track from my hard drive to my slideshow in VideoWave using media select. Checked the box for matching the length of the slideshow to the length of the sound track and saved my project. So far so good. Previewed the slideshow in VideoWave. Everything worked fine. Went to MyDVD, selected Add movie. This also went okay with the Menu that I selected. Clicked on burn DVD, selected the drive I wanted to use. The first attempt gave me an error message of "Critical error". Attempted the burn again. This time everything seemed to proceed indicating progress on both indicator bars. After quite some time had passed another error message appeared. This time the message was that there was a problem with my sound card, or that I may need to connect speakers. After closing the window I went back to VideoWave and previewed the slidshow again, playing it all the way to the end. Everything seemed to work fine. The audio was good, the slideshow completed itself without any problems, and the music track ended with the last slide. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the soundcard. I'm wondering if the Menu is creating a problem. I also added a shortclip of music to the menu, also from my hard drive, but from a different file. My next step is to just load the slideshow with audio to MyDVD without a menu. If this doesn't work I'm not sure what to do next. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

One thing I would suggest is to burn to an iso (image) file instead of directly to DVD. This separates th encoding process from the burning process. If you get an error in this stage it suggests that there is something wrong with the project and not with the burn process. If you create the iso file successfully you can then burn the iso file to the DVD using Video Copy & Convert.

I don't like being flippant, but what do you mean try a little harder? I'm doing my best. This software is so lacking in instructional documentation I'm surprised that so many people seemed to have become experts in its use. And I'm not afraid of my computer blowing up. While I don't have expertise in this software, I do know how to operate other kinds of software. Software that came with good Help instructions.

While you suggest that I shouldn't fuss with the RAM on my computer, I beg to differ. While burning my project to the iso file, about 60% thru the burn the burn process stopped and a window appeared on the screen indicating that the virtual memory needed to be increased and that some of the data would be lost. After closing the window and exiting from MyDVD I went to the iso file and right clicked to check properties. About 50% of the project burned to the iso file. Very, very frustrating.

List your system specs, similar to how I have mine listed in my signature. Put them in your signature by clicking on My Controls, above, then clicking on Edit Signature. Type in your system specs, then click Update My Signature.

Added specs as you suggest. Maybe this will help determine if my system is inadequate for this software. Thanks for the system specs suggestion.

Your system is definitely on the low end for doing video work. CPU is barely enough to due the minimum and and you should increase the RAM to 1GB. That being said, my CPU is only a bit better but I can do most video work ... its just very slow.

One important spec is missing from you specs: your video card, one of the most important ones

I'm afraid you've lost me with the ISO file. Can you explain, and how is it accomplished?

I forgot to mention one last item. During one of the burns I received an error message that my virtual memory needed to be increased. Could it be that the amount of RAM on my computer is insufficient? It has 512 MB, but can go up to 1024.

I'm afraid you've lost me with the ISO file. Can you explain, and how is it accomplished?

I forgot to mention one last item. During one of the burns I received an error message that my virtual memory needed to be increased. Could it be that the amount of RAM on my computer is insufficient? It has 512 MB, but can go up to 1024.

In MyDVD after you click Burn.

Clear the checkmark by your burner.

Put a checkmark by File. (and note the path to where the ISO will be)

Click OK

If that works close MyDVD and open Video Copy and Convert.

Click the DVD Video Copy tab and select Browse for Disc Image/DVD-Video Folder.

Point it to your ISO file and burn.

Lay off the RAM...

The following are links that will be of help.

Increase virtual memory (Windows function)

Vista

Windows XP

Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.

In the Performance pane, click Settings.

In the Performance Options dialog box, click the Advanced tab.

In the Virtual memory pane, click Change.

Change the Initial size value and the Maximum size value to a higher value, click Set, and then click OK.

Click OK to close the Performance Options dialog box, and then click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.

Rule of thumb: Max and min vitual memory set at 1 1/2 times actual memory.

Roxio Creator 2009 and (WinonCD) Product manuals

I have already ordered additional memory that will bring it up to 1024, which is the maximum for my computer. I had already reached the conclusion that I needed more memory. The message that my virtual memory needed to be increased was the clue for me. Also, when I created almost the identical slideshow on MyDVD 5.2 with some of the same slideshow features the total size of the file was about 2.7 Gb, and my computer burned this to a DVD without any problems. This new slideshow with the same number of images, but with all the other goodies, such as music and image motion adds up to 4 Gb. The extra features sure add up.

When I purchased this computer I didn't know I would be doing this kind of work on it. My other newer computer is a laptop with a faster cpu and more memory. I didn't want to use the laptop for two reasons; my wife is the primary user of it and she would not have appreciated me monopolizing "her" computer; secondly, all of my photo images and music is on this computer. Transfering all the data wasn't very appealing.

Oh, and thanks for the info on the Creator Manuals.

I have already ordered additional memory that will bring it up to 1024, which is the maximum for my computer. I had already reached the conclusion that I needed more memory. The message that my virtual memory needed to be increased was the clue for me. Also, when I created almost the identical slideshow on MyDVD 5.2 with some of the same slideshow features the total size of the file was about 2.7 Gb, and my computer burned this to a DVD without any problems. This new slideshow with the same number of images, but with all the other goodies, such as music and image motion adds up to 4 Gb. The extra features sure add up.

When I purchased this computer I didn't know I would be doing this kind of work on it. My other newer computer is a laptop with a faster cpu and more memory. I didn't want to use the laptop for two reasons; my wife is the primary user of it and she would not have appreciated me monopolizing "her" computer; secondly, all of my photo images and music is on this computer. Transfering all the data wasn't very appealing.

Oh, and thanks for the info on the Creator Manuals.

File size means nothing - its the timelength of you project thats important. One standard 4.7GB DVD will hold 60 minutes of video at best quality.

The old myDVD 5.2 is of course a completely different program Old Sonic version versus the Roxio program.

Just got back to my computer. From MyDVD and after adding the video I plan to burn, I clicked on "Burn", cleared the check mark under the "Disc" heading and then under the "Image File" heading I clicked "Save to Image File". This then showed location as: C:\Documents and Settings\et al\My Documents\My Videos\Image.iso.

What about under "Folder Set"? Should I also click on "Create Folder Set"? By the way, at the bottom of this window no "OK" box is displayed to click. Only Burn, Cancel and Help is shown. I did click on Help, but that didn'tprovide much "help".

I think you can only check the iso or the Folder Set, not both.

There is no Ok button, just click Burn

Only 'tip' is to do your work in VideoWave and Save or Save As your Production (dmsm) as you go.

Production files (dmsm) are what you Add to MyDVD and you can always edit them time and time again in VideoWave.

People make the mistake of using Export As to create a file to take to MyDVD. Problem here is every separate element is lost. Your Audio tracks becomes Native audio and are difficult to manipulate. Likewise transitions and effects become part of the movie.

Next step, have some RW media so you can go to MyDVD and burn and test to make sure you are on the right track!

If your production is over 2 hours long, use the Folder Set option, not the Image File option.

Most of the time, I use the Folder Set option, no matter the length of time my production.

Archived