peterg8

Disk image newbie

Question

I would like to save to hard drive an older encyclopaedia which requires three CDs, which I obviously don't want to have to insert or swap once it is set up.

I'm a complete newbie with Disk Image, and I don't know where to begin even after having read the instructions. Searches also tend to turn up photo-related images, rather than the data-related application. A bit of advice would be helpful.

3 answers to this question

I would like to save to hard drive an older encyclopaedia which requires three CDs, which I obviously don't want to have to insert or swap once it is set up.

I'm a complete newbie with Disk Image, and I don't know where to begin even after having read the instructions. Searches also tend to turn up photo-related images, rather than the data-related application. A bit of advice would be helpful.

There are a couple ways to read an image off your CDs. If you go into Roxio EMC 8 -> Tools -> Disc & Device Utility, you can navigate to your drive, then look at the disc. It should show you a session, expand that to see the "track". Highlight (select) the track, and you'll be able to click the "Read Track" button below. That will let you name the file and tell it where to put it.

The other way is to start Disc Copier. Select your disc as the source, and for the Destination, select Disc Image. Again, clicking the "Save As" button will let you tell it where to write the .ISO image file.

When you're done with that, open Tools -> Disc Image Loader. The first thing you'll need to do is click the "Add" button, and add each of the .ISO files to the list that Drive Image Loader "knows" about. Then you can create your drives (I believe a reboot is required the first time) and just drag the .ISO file to the drive letter you want it to be known as.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info. Using what you said I put 15 or so cd-roms of image data from "Click Art Infinity" on the hardrive and now only have to open the cd in disc image loader instead of getting the cd's out.

Do you know what windows XP will do if I placed each cd in its own virtual drive and exceed the letter z? Will it start to double the drive letters such as AA.BB...etc?

Thanks for the info. Using what you said I put 15 or so cd-roms of image data from "Click Art Infinity" on the hardrive and now only have to open the cd in disc image loader instead of getting the cd's out.

Do you know what windows XP will do if I placed each cd in its own virtual drive and exceed the letter z? Will it start to double the drive letters such as AA.BB...etc?

I don't think you can have more than 26 drives. (I have the same .ISO images of Click Art Infinity on my HD too.) XP will let you map a "drive" to a folder, from what I've heard, but I don't think Click Art will support it that way. I've never tried that either. At one point, I picked up an Axis Winpoint server and some external CD ROM changers to try and have all the discs on-line at once on the network, but it wouldn't work with "mapped" drives.

Congratulations on getting your images working!