Amount Of Time To Burn A Dvd

rodeman

Question

I'm brand new to Toast Titanium. I've only played with it a few times but have a question that I'm hung up on. I have a number of kids DVDs that we own. I've been trying to burn DVDs of some videos we have. They are about 1.5 to 3.5 gigs each. I'm using a Dual Layer DVD and a Mac Mini with a super drive. I can total up the file size and it's below the Dual layer 8.4 gig maximum. The DVD will burn with no problem, but it take absolutely forever.

I started one last night and it's been running nearly 12 hours and it's still not finished. I can't understand why it's taking so long to burn a DVD that is roughly 8 gigs in space. I've got to be doing something wrong.

The files are taken from some of our kids movies like Cars and others that we own. I wanted to have multiple on one DVD so the kids can watch them in the car. And it's difficult to reach the DVD player while driving, so I'd rather them have three or four on one disc.

I ripped the files as mp4 or m4v using handbrake. I just can't understand why it takes so long to get them burnt on a DVD. Can anyone help me with this question that's probably related to user error in some way?

Thanks,

John

3 answers to this question

I'm not sure if the DVD player can play Divx movies. I'll have to find the instructions to see what it says. I'm not a technical expert and I'm using a Mac for the very first time. I'm really confused on how to burn the movies. I'm doing this on movies that we own for the kids. I usually use handbrake on a new DVD so that I can stream it to our apple tv. We have no problems there, but Handbrake only let's me rip into a couple of formats, m4v or mp4 or h.264.

I have visual hub as well, but I've tried every setting in that program to convert the movies to mpeg 2 or divx or anything else that I can burn multiple movies onto one dvd. I had no luck there, nothing would work on either Toast 8 Platinum or on IDVD (a software package I know nothing about). On visual hub, I tried to convert my m4v and mp4 movies to WMV, MPEG, AVI and DVD none of them would let me burn Toast without some error. And when I tried DVD, it gave me an ISO file, which I guess is a copy of the full movie, but I don't know how to burn that ISO onto another DVD to get it to work.

I guess what I need to know is out of the programs I have, how should I rip/format a movie so that I can burn multiple with Toast? With a little training, I'll understand. I've just never done it before and need that guidance to get started.

Thanks for the help.

John

I need to suggest that you bring up this at videohelp.com because Roxio doesn't allow discussing details about ripping commercial DVDs in this forum. Basically, it is possible to rip the DVD without changing its format with certain applications, Toast can then fit that to a single-layer DVD. You just won't be able to fit multiple DVDs to one disc unless the videos on those DVDs are fairly short. You'll get the help you're looking for at videohelp.com.

Can the DVD player in your car play DivX discs? That would be your best option for fitting several movies to one DVD.

One of the problems with your approach is that you are taking video in one compressed format (MPEG 2) and converting it to an much-greater compressed format (MPEG 4) and then having Toast re-encode it back to MPEG 2 for video DVD. The file size of your MPEG 4 videos is irrelevant because a video DVD must be MPEG 2. Toast will fit more than 3 hours of video to a single-layer video DVD so my guess is you should get close to 6 hours on a DL disc even though the picture quality won't be terrific. On the other hand, the quality should be fine for a small screen. Don't choose Best Quality in the Toast settings if you want speed because that can nearly double the encoding time. It used to be that MPEG 2 encoding took about 10 minutes for every minute of video but the fastest Mac Pro's today can do it in about real time. You could do a test with a small clip to find out how many minutes it takes to encode a minute of video on your Mac. At three minutes to encode one minute of video, a six-hour DVD will take 18 hours to encode.

I bring up DivX because it also is a MPEG 4 format so it fits more content on a disc without as much loss in picture quality. Some DVD players can play DivX DVDs. DivX encoding takes time, too.

Archived