Video File (mpg) Not Fully Loading To Mydvd

rch0425

Question

I am trying to add a movie to my MYDVD project and have a clip that is in mpg format. The clip is 24.50 minutes long when I simply play it with Windows Media Player. However, when it is added to the project the length is only 9.23 minutes. How can this happen? I am importing it as normal (4:3) format and nothing fancy about any of this process.

It is NTFS format and I've watched the entire thing in Windows Media Player and in the edit portion of MYDVD. The Roxio software just contains the 9.23 minutes and has dropped the rest. Has anyone had this problem and what am I doing wrong to have this situation?

I am using EMC 10 on a Gateway dual core 4gb desktop Pentium D. I have 1.2T of disk storage and Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 OS. I would appreciate any feedback that you can give.

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Your source clip is corrupt, plain and simple.

You can try putting it into Windows Movie Maker and see if it will output it to full length as a new file or format like AVI.

Testing a clip in a Player is a test of nothing. Players will overlook all kinds of errors. But when you are tearing a file apart frame by frame like an editor, errors cannot be tolerated.

Thanks Jim. I've tried the Windows Movie Maker and the entire clip is processed. I haven't tried it in Nero, but will do so tonight. It seems a little odd to me that Roxio has done this. I'm not sure if I agree that the file is corrupt, I have more than one copy of that same clip and all of the act the same in Roxio, but not in Windows Movie Maker. Thanks for your advice, I really do appreciate your input.

Reg Hill :)

Thanks Jim. I've tried the Windows Movie Maker and the entire clip is processed. I haven't tried it in Nero, but will do so tonight. It seems a little odd to me that Roxio has done this. I'm not sure if I agree that the file is corrupt, I have more than one copy of that same clip and all of the act the same in Roxio, but not in Windows Movie Maker. Thanks for your advice, I really do appreciate your input.

Reg Hill :)

Have you put the processed file (by WMM) back into myDVD?

Have you used Videowave to Output the file again to mpeg to see if its processed correctly. As Jim posted, using the preview does not tell you very much about a file since the encoding is very "basic"

Your source clip is corrupt, plain and simple.

You can try putting it into Windows Movie Maker and see if it will output it to full length as a new file or format like AVI.

Testing a clip in a Player is a test of nothing. Players will overlook all kinds of errors. But when you are tearing a file apart frame by frame like an editor, errors cannot be tolerated.

I have had a similar issue recently. My Slideshow mpg file was included in a myDVD project (which was saved for later use). I noticed the timing was off in the original slideshow (chose 4 sec but transition time was less that 2.5 sec). I increased the slideshow transition time to 6 sec to make it more reasonable and re-created the mpg file. Then I tried (in vain) to use that file in the myDVD project. The myDVD project always cut the video segment off at the originally saved mpg time but left the audio trailing. I ended up having to re-create the myDVD project from scratch to have it recognize the total, new length of my slideshows. VideoWave and myDVD both seemed to not recognize the changed video length but the slideshow application (and Windows Media) played the entire slideshow.

Is there anyway to "refresh" the myDVD project to have it recognize the new length of the videos? I am running under Microsoft Vista. Original total myDVD project length was 752MB and the revised slideshows made it 1018MB but this was not acknowledged until I rebuilt the entire project...frustrating and wasted a couple of DVDs and a hour trying to figure this out...

Archived