Help Please With Creator 2009

Dave295

Question

I have been playing with Roxio 2009 now for many hours and have captured loads of video from our old super 8 vidoes. When I capture them they come in as AVI files. Now that I have them in digital format I want to go back into them and edit them so that I cut the family Christmas scenes out and put them all together and cut the birthday scenes and put them together ... I have tried to cut the sections out I want but when I save them they save as .DMSM file that doesn't even play in the roxio software. Is there a better way to cut sections out of long burnt videos and save them as .AVI files? THanks for you help

6 answers to this question

I have been playing with Roxio 2009 now for many hours and have captured loads of video from our old super 8 vidoes. When I capture them they come in as AVI files. Now that I have them in digital format I want to go back into them and edit them so that I cut the family Christmas scenes out and put them all together and cut the birthday scenes and put them together ... I have tried to cut the sections out I want but when I save them they save as .DMSM file that doesn't even play in the roxio software. Is there a better way to cut sections out of long burnt videos and save them as .AVI files? THanks for you help

When you use Save or Save As, all you are saving is the project file, ie a list of source files, edits, etc; no video is actually saved. To get a video file you have to select Output and the Export As from the menu bar.

When you use Save or Save As, all you are saving is the project file, ie a list of source files, edits, etc; no video is actually saved. To get a video file you have to select Output and the Export As from the menu bar.

Thanks that worked Well! Now what if I do want to make a compulation of videos. Do I just save it the same way when I am done in order to make a DVD of it?

Thanks that worked Well! Now what if I do want to make a compulation of videos. Do I just save it the same way when I am done in order to make a DVD of it?

Well, that depends on what kind of DVD you want to create.

If you want a DVD with menus where each video is a separate title on the menu page then you can actually add the dmsm project files one at a time using the Add New Video option in myDVD - in this case there is no need to first encode in Videowave. Each dmsm file becomes a title.

If you want to combine several videos into one continuous video then you will have to first encode them to mpeg or avi in Videowave and then add the resulting videos by first adding the 1st video using Add New Movie (creates a new title) and then drag and drop the other videos to the time line or storyline

Perhaps this Workflow Strategy can be helpfull in your video projects

If you want a DVD with menus where each video is a separate title on the menu page then you can actually add the dmsm project files one at a time using the Add New Video option in myDVD - in this case there is no need to first encode in Videowave. Each dmsm file becomes a title.

If you want to combine several videos into one continuous video then you will have to first encode them to mpeg or avi in Videowave and then add the resulting videos by first adding the 1st video using Add New Movie (creates a new title) and then drag and drop the other videos to the time line or storyline

BTW, a standard 4.7GB DVD will only hold 60 minutes of video at best quality (which is really what you want), if you want more video it will be compressed and lose quality.

Still haven't got the cutting a scene from a long home video trick yet. I have tried several times now but it seems that when I cut the section out using a start time and an end time, I then save the way you said and it doesn't actually cut just that section out when it saves it just plays that section and the rest is still there. Is there a better way to simply cut a section out of a long home video that contains scenes from many different recordings?

Still haven't got the cutting a scene from a long home video trick yet. I have tried several times now but it seems that when I cut the section out using a start time and an end time, I then save the way you said and it doesn't actually cut just that section out when it saves it just plays that section and the rest is still there. Is there a better way to simply cut a section out of a long home video that contains scenes from many different recordings?

You are describing Trim which is completely different from Split & Delete.

You are also describing a VideoWave project which is editable. If you have a 10 minute VW project and you trim it to 5 minutes your project is 5 minutes long…

If you reload that project into VW and select Trim, you can still reset the start and finish.

However, if you Export As or burn it to disc, it will be 5 minutes long and you can't change it!

But Trim only operates on the ends.

Splits & Deletes operate anywhere within a clip but they are permanent and you cannot change your mind. At least as far as a VW Project is concerned. – However as long as you don't choose Export As, your original file is never touched…

Non Linear Video Editing is complex and requires Non Linear Thinking… Your best bet is to use a copy of your clips for now and some RW media and start trying things.