• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Vhs Audio Capture Problem

Apostle

Question

Hello Folks:

I'm able to capture VHS video tapes using the Roxio USB capture device, however at times the audio portion of the capture seems to waver down and up similar to the effect of slowing down an album record with your finger so the voices become very low and deep...then it recovers....

I'm capturing a bunch of old home videos, and by and large the audio is okay, but I'm running into this more and more...if I play the VHS right through the player into the TV it's fine.

Any ideas?

I'm running:

I'm running:

Dell XPS M1530 Notebook

Windows Vista Home premium

3 GB Ram

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T7500 @2.2GHz 2.20 GHz

136 GB Hard drive (getting close to tapped out here - 17 GB left)

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

5 answers to this question

Thanks...I actually have over 70 GB available...I capture in four 30 min increments (24 GB total used), then edit, burn to DVD and deletes files. Run CCleaner and defrag....then do it all over again.

I'm still having intermittent audio slow down and speed up....it seems to happen almost exclusively when background music is being played..why would that be?

By the way, I am running Vista...any help would be appreciated...this is really taking the fun out of the process and I hate to proceed any further until I figure out what the problem is.

Help.

Hello Folks:

I'm able to capture VHS video tapes using the Roxio USB capture device, however at times the audio portion of the capture seems to waver down and up similar to the effect of slowing down an album record with your finger so the voices become very low and deep...then it recovers....

I'm capturing a bunch of old home videos, and by and large the audio is okay, but I'm running into this more and more...if I play the VHS right through the player into the TV it's fine.

Any ideas?

I'm running:

I'm running:

Dell XPS M1530 Notebook

3 GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

With only 17GB of free space left you could well be running into problems. If you are capturing to avi (for best quality and ease of editing), 60 minutes of tape creates a 13-14GB file!

Defragmentation of the hard drive could also be a problem at this point.

Hello Folks:

Any ideas?

I'm running:

I'm running:

Dell XPS M1530 Notebook

3 GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

Yes, I'm capturing to avi. I actually have about 66 GB left before capturing....then I capture a bout 2 hrs (about 17 GB left then). Then I edit, burn to DVD, delete the avi files and start all over again.

Yes, I'm capturing to avi. I actually have about 66 GB left before capturing....then I capture a bout 2 hrs (about 17 GB left then). Then I edit, burn to DVD, delete the avi files and start all over again.

There are nothing but 1's and 0's coming from the device… It converts what it sees & hears but has no ability to change anything.

So if there is a speed change it is from your Source.

If your PC can't keep up, frames are lost resulting in a jerky speed up but never a slowdown.

With that little space you really do need to defrag before you start a recording. Might be able to do 2 or 3 recordings then another defrag is in order.

Defrag. Shut down any other running programs including your anti-virus. Defrag using Auslogics defragmenter.

Clean up the hard drive using CCleaner (make sure that you have saved all the files related to the project).

Get rid of programs you don't use with someting like Revo Uninstaller.

You will always have problems with that little disc space either now, during editing or during burning.

You may also want to turn down your audio acceleration using Windows/Start/Run/dxdiag/OK/Sound Tab (for XP).

Archived