Backup To Dvd Freezes Midway

Vegan

Question

Seems Roxio 2009 cannot backup more than about 5 DVDs of data. If I try a larger set it freezes leaving me with a pile of garbage disks.

My machine is an Asus M2NBP-VM CSM with Windows XP x64. The drive is the popular Lite-on LH-20A1H. The drive has lasted for over 1000 disks and still works fine.

Generally its very stable but recently a defect in the DMA was identified and fixed that prevented Roxio from recording faster than 1.5x. To fix the problem, open the device manager and delete the channel that the recorder is on, and reboot. Windows will reinstall the driver and this should fix the problem.

Generally I have found the program (Creater Classsic) will freeze midway in a multi-DVD backup project. Typically it will burn up to 12 disks before the program freezes and a hard reset is required.

The problem surfaced following the latest service pack. Previously I was able to backup sets of 50 DVDs without problem.

There does not seem to be a memory leak, so its something else.

3 answers to this question

I grabbed a spare HD and setup XP 32-bit and put Creator 2009 on it. It Froze after a single disk of a 20 disk backup.

The Windows install was fresh, no applications except AVG and drivers. Windows updates were all installed.

This shows that the product is unstable in the extreme. So much for QA testing.

I have dumped XP x64 and installed Windows 7 beta 1, build 7000 and the freezing problem seems to have vanished.

The proves beyond doubt that the claimed compatibility with XP x64 is false. I have a hard copy of the claim.

I grabbed a spare HD and setup XP 32-bit and put Creator 2009 on it. It Froze after a single disk of a 20 disk backup.

The Windows install was fresh, no applications except AVG and drivers. Windows updates were all installed.

This shows that the product is unstable in the extreme. So much for QA testing.

Perhaps you should recall that XP 64 was was not a derivative of XP32 but, instead, used the Server 2003 kernel.

However, I ran 2009 here on XP64 with no problems, but then I was never that crazy to trust ANYTHING to a spanned backup.

Spanned backups are the most likely things to fail - all it takes is one corrupt bit on one disc for the whole heap to be useless and that's not down to software alone but the media itself

Archived