• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Easy Cd & Dvd Is Destroying My Discs

Rob. A

Question

I have ruined 8 dvd's by either using "Drag" or via the main progam.

The system tells me the job is done, yet there is nothing on the disc.

If I reload as if I was going to play the movie on my computer, nothing happens.

"properties" on "MY Computer" tells me there are Zero bytes but if I try to record again on the same disc

I am told to use a blank disc so something is on it. The other thing is that the program takes a long time

which gives the impression it is working. I get all the progress bars etc.

I have found that by using a eraseable dvd I can get it to work but I want to use 8 GIG dvd's.

Is it normal for Roxio not to respond to help ticket for over 2 weeks??

12 answers to this question

Yup. Sounds like you are formatting the discs, which means that after formatting they can ONLY be used by the Packet-Writing program that formattd them - in this case, Drag2Disc. Packet-Writing programs are incompatile with other Packet-Writing programs, and often with different Versions of the same program. Often they are not readable on computers that do not have the same Version of the same program installed, and to other devices, such as DVD playrs, they are not much different than a blank disc.

I suspect the reason you are having "better luck" with RW discs is the chosen program is first erasing them.

So, try with a BLANK blank, directly out of the package or off the spindle. I'd suggest trying it with Drag2Disc turned OFF. You can even uninstall it, to be sure it is off. There is nothing it can do that can't be replaced by a Flash drive or an External Hard Drive, except lose your data.

The next problem which may turn up is this $30 program doesn't have all the same capacities as the full $100 program. Part of what it does NOT have is the ability to use some of the most common video formats. There are other threads on this Forum which deal with specifics.

Lynn

PS: use your RW discs to experiment with - if it works, burn to R media (NOT FORMATTED); if it does not work, erase and try something else. That's one of the uses for which RW media DOES have an advantage. But NEVER use RW for long-term archiving.

Thanks Lynn.

I had already tried with "DRAG" disabled. I then tried another 8.5Gig DVD+R DL (all of them have been brand new out of the box) and this is where I have more confusion. In DVD Express right at the bottom where it is waiting for me to select my movie it says "Files of Type" and lists just about every type imagineable, but including MPEG which is what I'm trying to burn. I am not knowingly asking for a format. I just select my movie, click on "ADD" then "Create Disk" and off it goes. I don't sit there and watch but it must take an hour or more so what is happening if it is putting nothing on the disk?? Does DVD Express automatically format in this situation? I can't see a way to prevent that?

Basically, I have no problem with re-write dvd's but they don't come in 8.5 GIG do they?

I does look as if I have wasted my money.

Rob.

Thanks Lynn.

I had already tried with "DRAG" disabled. I then tried another 8.5Gig DVD+R DL (all of them have been brand new out of the box) and this is where I have more confusion. In DVD Express right at the bottom where it is waiting for me to select my movie it says "Files of Type" and lists just about every type imagineable, but including MPEG which is what I'm trying to burn. I am not knowingly asking for a format. I just select my movie, click on "ADD" then "Create Disk" and off it goes. I don't sit there and watch but it must take an hour or more so what is happening if it is putting nothing on the disk?? Does DVD Express automatically format in this situation? I can't see a way to prevent that?

Basically, I have no problem with re-write dvd's but they don't come in 8.5 GIG do they?

I does look as if I have wasted my money.

Rob.

If you want to quote someones post hit "reply" and then enter your text below the last "quote"

So what format does the movie have you are trying to burn? Most likely it has to be encoded to become DVD compliant which of course takes quite a bit of time depending on your system and the length of the video. To encode 1 hour of video can take up to 3 hours on some system.

This is what happens:-

In Test 1 I don't get an option choice. It says "Write Only" and it will not accept a change.

In Test 2 it successfully created an iso file.

Interesting???

For Test 1 it looks as though your drive is not properly recognized, or…

If the drive is empty or has proper blank media, you will be able to set it to Test Only.

If you don't have the right media to fit the project size or your drive isn't recognized correctly, then Write Only is the only option you will see.

If your drive was empty or you had proper blank media then you will want to go into the Device Manager and look at the drive to see if Windows shows any errors with it.

Test 2 indicates that the software is working correctly and will encode the files.

I will try and reply to all of you as best as I can. I am using windows XP Media Center. I used to have u-lead 3 and only got rid of it because it was so slow. I have in the past, with u-lead, burned 24 or more, DVD's which are all movies which were recorded on Media Center and were ad edited via Video-Re-Do plus. I bought Roxio because it seemed to fit my needs. All I want to do is burn recorded movies and possibly the odd set of photographs and maybe some music.. Yes, as you will have already gathered, I do have a burner. I have in the past made c.d.'s and movies without any difficulty. These were a mixture of 4.7 and 8.5 DVD's plus the odd 700mb c.d. By main program, I mean DVD Express. I did on one occasion get a mild dregree of success with this as I did get a menu page and nothing else except another wasted dvd. Rosio took some considerable time to do even that.

I thought that all I had to do was open my movie folder and drag it to the "Drag to Disc" window. It does work with rewritable DVD's so why not anything else? I have also tried DVD Express but the result is the same. I get a DVD that is useless. The burner is Philips DVD+RW DVD 8701 which came with my Dell Dimension 9100.

If I have left out any info. please let me know. Your help and advice is appreciated. Right now, I wish I had left well alone!!

Interesting???

For Test 1 it looks as though your drive is not properly recognized, or…

If the drive is empty or has proper blank media, you will be able to set it to Test Only.

If you don't have the right media to fit the project size or your drive isn't recognized correctly, then Write Only is the only option you will see.

If your drive was empty or you had proper blank media then you will want to go into the Device Manager and look at the drive to see if Windows shows any errors with it.

Test 2 indicates that the software is working correctly and will encode the files.

In Test one I had a DVD R DL in the tray. With the tray open or with no disc, I can select Test only but O.K. is greyed out and I can't go anywhere after that. The program does seem to recgnise the drive. It can tell what brand/model drive and can give a list of what it can and cannot do. About the only thing it cannot do is bar codes. Does this mean it will not work with DVD R DL ??

Device Manager finds no fault with the drive at any point.

Forget anything about Format – that was tangent that took a path to a dead end… You are not using Drag to Disc now, so it is irrelevant.

If I understand it correctly it burns but the disc doesn't work or appears nothing is burned to it…

So the question is where did fail?

Test 1: Open Creator Classic and set it to a data project for a DL disc.

Load it up with 5 to 6Gb of anything.

Click Burn and set Burn Options to Test Only (nothing will actually be burned)

If that works it indicates that Classic can talk to the Burner OK.

Test 2: Now open MyDVD Experess. Set it to DL and load it up.

Press Create Disc and set it to Save disc image file and make sure there is no checkmark by Burn to disc. (no burn but an iso file will be created)

What happens?

Forget anything about Format – that was tangent that took a path to a dead end… You are not using Drag to Disc now, so it is irrelevant.

If I understand it correctly it burns but the disc doesn't work or appears nothing is burned to it…

So the question is where did fail?

Test 1: Open Creator Classic and set it to a data project for a DL disc.

Load it up with 5 to 6Gb of anything.

Click Burn and set Burn Options to Test Only (nothing will actually be burned)

If that works it indicates that Classic can talk to the Burner OK.

Test 2: Now open MyDVD Experess. Set it to DL and load it up.

Press Create Disc and set it to Save disc image file and make sure there is no checkmark by Burn to disc. (no burn but an iso file will be created)

What happens?

This is what happens:-

In Test 1 I don't get an option choice. It says "Write Only" and it will not accept a change.

In Test 2 it successfully created an iso file.

Yup. Sounds like you are formatting the discs, which means that after formatting they can ONLY be used by the Packet-Writing program that formattd them - in this case, Drag2Disc. Packet-Writing programs are incompatile with other Packet-Writing programs, and often with different Versions of the same program. Often they are not readable on computers that do not have the same Version of the same program installed, and to other devices, such as DVD playrs, they are not much different than a blank disc.

I suspect the reason you are having "better luck" with RW discs is the chosen program is first erasing them.

So, try with a BLANK blank, directly out of the package or off the spindle. I'd suggest trying it with Drag2Disc turned OFF. You can even uninstall it, to be sure it is off. There is nothing it can do that can't be replaced by a Flash drive or an External Hard Drive, except lose your data.

The next problem which may turn up is this $30 program doesn't have all the same capacities as the full $100 program. Part of what it does NOT have is the ability to use some of the most common video formats. There are other threads on this Forum which deal with specifics.

Lynn

PS: use your RW discs to experiment with - if it works, burn to R media (NOT FORMATTED); if it does not work, erase and try something else. That's one of the uses for which RW media DOES have an advantage. But NEVER use RW for long-term archiving.

If I reload as if I was going to play the movie on my computer, nothing happens.

"properties" on "MY Computer" tells me there are Zero bytes but if I try to record again on the same disc

I am told to use a blank disc so something is on it. The other thing is that the program takes a long time

I have found that by using a eraseable dvd I can get it to work but I want to use 8 GIG dvd's.

Can you try to explain what you are doing or trying to do??? Your post makes not real sense other than don’t work :lol:

I guess by “Drag” you are referring to Drag to Disc which is for Data only and is a method of narrow use.

What you mean by ”via the main program” is anyone’s guess… :huh:

You mention “movie”. There is only one program in the Red Box that burns movies, and that is MyDVD Express. No other program is capable of producing a compliant DVD Movie.

In addition to what Jim posted, do you even have a DVD burner that is capable of burning DL DVDs?

Based on what I have bolded, it sounds as if you are formatting the disc and then trying to use it with one of the reliable programs in the suite. However, the rest of the post doesn't make sense in that context.

If you can say step by step, using which program, you have done what to which kind of disc, someone may be able to help you. Giving your computer specs, as Jim and Walt have in their signatures, would also help.

We can't look over your shoulder; you have to be the eyes on the screen and fingers on the keyboard so we can figure out what is happening.

As to how long it takes Roxio to respond - those of us who answer here are people who use the programs, we really don't have access to the inner workings of Roxio tech support. So that question cannot be answered.

Lynn

Archived