• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Eliminating Tape Hiss And Rumble

HeartAndSoul

Question

I have a number of interviews I recorded 25 years ago onto cassette tape that I've downloaded to wav files. The tape hiss and rumble are very prominent and I was hoping I could find something in Easy Media Creator 10 that would allow me to eliminate it. Is there a way I can capture a few seconds off the tape where the only sound is the hiss and rumble and have the software recognize it throughout the whole file and eliminate it? I've tried to use the sound editor, but when I get rid of the hiss and rumble, it also degrades the quality of the voices. If Easy Media Creator doesn't have it, does Creator 2009 have this feature?

Mods: If I've posted this in the wrong area, please move it to the appropriate one. Thank you.

3 answers to this question

I have a number of interviews I recorded 25 years ago onto cassette tape that I've downloaded to wav files. The tape hiss and rumble are very prominent and I was hoping I could find something in Easy Media Creator 10 that would allow me to eliminate it. Is there a way I can capture a few seconds off the tape where the only sound is the hiss and rumble and have the software recognize it throughout the whole file and eliminate it? I've tried to use the sound editor, but when I get rid of the hiss and rumble, it also degrades the quality of the voices. If Easy Media Creator doesn't have it, does Creator 2009 have this feature?

Did you get the version of EMC that included the Sound Soap application. That has special filters to remove hiss and hum and will do a much better job that Sound editor.

If you do not have Sound Soap, download and try Gold Wave. It is more complicated but also works well. They have a very liberal trial policy and you may be able to get all your tapes done without actually buying the program. Dart also has a good program.

Did you get the version of EMC that included the Sound Soap application. That has special filters to remove hiss and hum and will do a much better job that Sound editor.

If you do not have Sound Soap, download and try Gold Wave. It is more complicated but also works well. They have a very liberal trial policy and you may be able to get all your tapes done without actually buying the program. Dart also has a good program.

Thank you. I bought EMC as a download, so I don't have any discs to see if Sound Soap is on it. If I don't have it, I'll try one of the others.

Archived