• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

loveoldtrux

"not for resale"

Question

Hi! Just recieved software (EMC8.0) that states on the outside black and white label.... "not for resale". What does THIS mean, since I DID have to pay for it?!?!?.... is this "cripple software"?....

I was able to register the software and the Roxio site indeed shows I am the owner of the "retail software".

What's the scoop, dudes?....

Thanks,

Loveoldtrux

12 answers to this question

The first question would be where did you receive the software from? If it was purchased online, which website did you purchase it from?

William

Willatrox - actually it was purchased from eBay. Had the certificate numbers and all....

Oh boy. You may just have answered your own question. Click on the Roxio Home icon on your desktop, then click on Applications. Open Creator Classic, click on Help, then click on About Creator Classic, and post the build number here.

Grandpabruce - thanks.... I'll need to get that tonight for you and post it.

Please keep a lookout and I'll post the build number probably Wednesday morning.

It couldn't be a "PIRATED" copy as the Roxio site shows me as a legitimate user... right?....

I'm thinking if anything.... the card who sold this to me had it in a bulk shipment designed to be used ONLY with a load of software on a retail computer but didn't use it and then sold it to make $80 more dollars... right?....

Will this mean the software will be crippled? I thought if I'm shown as a legit retail customer that everything will be okay....

Anyway, I'll send the number Wednesday morning and in the meantime disable Roxwatch.exe so my processor won't be used 98%.....

Loveoldtrux

Grandpabruce - thanks.... I'll need to get that tonight for you and post it.

Please keep a lookout and I'll post the build number probably Wednesday morning.

It couldn't be a "PIRATED" copy as the Roxio site shows me as a legitimate user... right?....

I'm thinking if anything.... the card who sold this to me had it in a bulk shipment designed to be used ONLY with a load of software on a retail computer but didn't use it and then sold it to make $80 more dollars... right?....

Will this mean the software will be crippled? I thought if I'm shown as a legit retail customer that everything will be okay....

Anyway, I'll send the number Wednesday morning and in the meantime disable Roxwatch.exe so my processor won't be used 98%.....

Loveoldtrux

I would guess that Roxio would be able to tell you if they distributed software with the "not for resale" stickers on it.

Here's the build number from creator classic - 800B85C ENU. I applied the patch and that jerked it up to

805B30B ENU..... I guess it just means I have an oem version. Not kosher the dude is selling it, though....but I'll live with it - what am I going to DO.... send the Roxio police after him?!?!?.

Sort of like the oem drives I buy sometimes for the home network.... I can either pay $175.00 for the "RETAIL" drive with fancy cables, literature, packaging, cards, freebies (oh yes, don't forget the AOL disks...) yadda yadda yadda or I can buy the plain "OEM" drive in a silver bag for 50 bucks with NOTHING additional shipped in a plain brown box....

Am I on the right track here? Can I get some feedback? :) Thanks guys....

Loveoldtrux

Here's the build number from creator classic - 800B85C ENU. I applied the patch and that jerked it up to

805B30B ENU..... I guess it just means I have an oem version. Not kosher the dude is selling it, though....but I'll live with it - what am I going to DO.... send the Roxio police after him?!?!?.

Sort of like the oem drives I buy sometimes for the home network.... I can either pay $175.00 for the "RETAIL" drive with fancy cables, literature, packaging, cards, freebies (oh yes, don't forget the AOL disks...) yadda yadda yadda or I can buy the plain "OEM" drive in a silver bag for 50 bucks with NOTHING additional shipped in a plain brown box....

Am I on the right track here? Can I get some feedback? :) Thanks guys....

Loveoldtrux

It would appear that you have a retail type version, even though it is OEM. The person who sold it, should definitely be questioned as to whether or not he is an authorized seller of Roxio products.

Roxio sends out "Not for resale" copies of the full software to reviewers and as complimentary copies to "important" people.

It looks like a recipient has set out to make a buck from a complimentary copy. That's a bit off, but not your fault. You just carry on . . .

I wonder who the dude was.

I ran into the same situation, with one exception. I had Media Creator 8.05 on my old PC. Got a new PC and had moved everything over to it except for Media Creator 8.0 which took a lot of effort involving numerous installs and un-installs and applying several fixes obtained from this forum. I hated to pull it off the old PC since it was working. Since I am keeping the old PC with Visual Studio on it and dedicating it primarily to development activities, I decided to leave EMC on it if I could find a copy on eBay for the new PC. I found one seller that had numerous copies with "Buy it now" option, I bought one of those and installed it on new PC and downloaded the update. It appeared to be a non-limited version even though it had the "Not for re-sale" sticker on it. However, due to some of same experiences I had with first copy on old PC, I un-installed from the new PC and will fix it at a later time.

The one difference I mentioned earlier was the price, which was $8.00, not $80.00 you mentioned. One thing I have noticed about a lot of the sellers of EMC 7.5 and 8.0 is they state "full version" and have a picture of the box in the auction. However, if you read the discription very, very closely, you will also find the comment somewhere in the discription about "in dvd case". The seller I bought from did state picture was only for representative purpose and that it was actually in a sealed dvd folder. He was up front with that information and for $8.00 I felt it was worth the gamble.