Missing Sound From Some Video Clips

Bickers

Question

I am using a Panasonic HDC SD9 video camera with Roxio Creator 2009. For some strange reason the audio on some, but not all of my video files in missing. When I download the video clips from the camera to the computer (by USB cable using Roxio) 90% of the video clips contain sound, but a few clips are without sound. I'm really frustrated about this problem, and would be really delighted if someone could explain how to solve this problem. I have noticed that when using Roxio VideoWave to edit the video clips, if I go to the Production Editor under Storyline, and click on the button 'View settings to modify the selected item' the clips that have sound include the option 'Native audio', but the clips with the sound missing don't have this option. The video clips were taken at the same time, using the same settings, so if the sound works on some of the clips, I would have assumed it would work on all the clips (as it does when playing the video on the camera). Please help!

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 3870

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

Dedicated Memory: 508 MB

Driver Version: 7.14.0010.0590 (English)

DDI Version: 10

-------------

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: Speakers + Redirected Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: Yes

Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7618&SUBSYS_10280215&REV_1002

Manufacturer ID: 1

Driver Name: stwrt.sys

Driver Version: 6.10.6052.0002 (English)

Edited to get rid of unecessary information.

19 answers to this question

I transferred the video from the HDC-SD100 to the PC using the Panasonic software then imported the .mts files into Videowave. Still the same issue. No sound in the very first clip.

Every time I start with a clean SD card, this happens. I tried several other .mts to .mpeg converters and none of them had the lost audio issue. The audio from all clips made it through the translation just fine. The problem appears to be strictly with Roxio's conversion software. The sad part is that the Roxio video conversion quality is the best but the random audio issue is very frustrating.

Edit: I guess if it's always the first clip, it's not random!

The files are MPG, is this what you mean? If you mean something else, can you please explain to me how I can find out the answer to your question (I'm not very good on technical stuff!)

Yes I meant that. If WMP cannot play those files then there is some problem with those files.

BTW, I missed that you said they were mpg in your first post :mellow:

I've done more experimenting. Every time I delete all clips from the card and start recording, the very first clip always loses audio upon conversion. I can shut the camera off, add more clips and they all convert fine. It's always the first one. I guess the fix is to make sure you have a throw away clip recorded every time you start with a clean card. BTW, reformatting the card in the camera makes no difference.

In case anyone was wondering......this didn't help.

Thank you for Contacting Roxio Technical Support

Please try the steps below for help with this issue.

1.) Update to the latest version of Direct X from the Microsoft website below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113

2.) Update your video drivers. (this is important)

To find out what video device you need to update you can click on start, run, and type 'dxdiag' and press enter.

Click the display tab at the top of that window and that will tell you the manufacturer of your video device.

You can then go to the manufacturers website or your PC manufacturers site to update the driver.

3.) Disable startup items:

a. Press the Windows Key and R on your keyboard

b. Type 'msconfig' and click on the 'OK' button or press the 'Enter' key.

c. Select the 'Startup' tab over on the right side.

d. Write down which items are checked, and then click on the 'Disable All' button in the lower right corner of the screen.

e. Click on the 'Apply' button and then click on 'OK'.

f. Click 'YES' to restart the computer.

g. When you reach the Desktop, you may receive a message saying 'you have used the 'System Configuration Utility' to make changes to your system....', you get this message, simply place a checkmark in a box on the lower left side titled, 'Do not show me this message again' and click on the 'OK' button.

NOTE: To reverse these changes, follow steps a to c, and then place the checkmarks back in the boxes based on the notes you made. For optimal performance, only Anti-Virus or Firewall software should be enabled. (for this test all should be disabled)

If you continue to have problems please update this ticket with your system information.

a. Click Start

b. Click Run... (search if you are using Windows Vista)

c. Type: dxdiag

d. If prompted to verify drivers, click Yes

e. Click Save All Information... Save the file as (ticket number)dxdiag.txt to your desktop.

f. Click Exit

g. Please attach the saved file to this webticket, and also paste it in the body of this ticket.

If the information provided does not resolve your issue simply update your webticket with a detailed explanation with the steps you have tried and any error messages you receive.

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

I am using a Panasonic HDC SD9 video camera with Roxio Creator 2009. For some strange reason the audio on some, but not all of my video files in missing. When I download the video clips from the camera to the computer (by USB cable using Roxio) 90% of the video clips contain sound, but a few clips are without sound. I'm really frustrated about this problem, and would be really delighted if someone could explain how to solve this problem. I have noticed that when using Roxio VideoWave to edit the video clips, if I go to the Production Editor under Storyline, and click on the button 'View settings to modify the selected item' the clips that have sound include the option 'Native audio', but the clips with the sound missing don't have this option. The video clips were taken at the same time, using the same settings, so if the sound works on some of the clips, I would have assumed it would work on all the clips (as it does when playing the video on the camera). Please help!

In what format is the video on that camera? Since this is a memory card based camcorder, it should appearon Windows Explorer just as another USB device and there is no need to "capture". You should be able to copy the video to your hard drive and import into Videowave for processing.

BTW, you long listing is not very helpful - most of the info means nothing to us and is not read. Whats important is the casic specs like I have in my signature.

This evening I found that you can use the application supplied by Panasonic with the camera to do what Roxio can't - reliably copy any and all of the files from the camera onto your PC and reliably convert to MPEG-2. The software is called "HD Writer 2.5E for HDC". Well written and easy to use. Shame as I like the Roxio tools but having two different tools to accomplish one task is painful as they use different folder formats, file formats etc.

This evening I found that you can use the application supplied by Panasonic with the camera to do what Roxio can't - reliably copy any and all of the files from the camera onto your PC and reliably convert to MPEG-2. The software is called "HD Writer 2.5E for HDC". Well written and easy to use. Shame as I like the Roxio tools but having two different tools to accomplish one task is painful as they use different folder formats, file formats etc.

You are way off the mark on this one…

It took specially written software to handle the non-standard files that Panasonic decided to use.

Had they used Standard file formats there wouldn't be any problem…

I have the exact same camera and the exact same problem using Roxio Creator 2009. No audio on some files that have been imported. It seems to happen randomly. I have about 30 files on my SD Card and about 10% of them have no audio. There's nothing wrong with the files on the SD card. They playback just fine on the video camera. They even play fine if you preview them using the Roxio import tool prior to importing them (ie it's reading from the SD card), but as soon as they're imported, there's no sound on some of the files. It doesn't matter how many times you do the import or whether you import just one or all files it's always the same files that loose the sound. When you check the properties of the file from within Media Manager, the Audio Stream section is blank. This is unlike the other files it just imported that work fine where Audio stream 0 says Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder.

So the bottom line is that the import is not encoding the sound into the file for some videos. Can you select the encoding format you want to use for importing? Maybe experimenting will result in finding an encoding format that works. I have the latest patch update of products - Build 111B10E ENU for Media manager for instance.

Any ideas? It's perfectly reproducible. I could probably put the offending example file on an FTP server for you to try and import if you like.

Suggestions welcome.

In what format is the video on that camera? Since this is a memory card based camcorder, it should appearon Windows Explorer just as another USB device and there is no need to "capture". You should be able to copy the video to your hard drive and import into Videowave for processing.

BTW, you long listing is not very helpful - most of the info means nothing to us and is not read. Whats important is the casic specs like I have in my signature.

I have copied the video to my hard drive, and have been using Videowave for processing. The problem I have is that some of the video files (around 10%) once copied to the computer hard drive loose audio, whilst the others are fine. The video camera is set to the highest setting (HD:HA), the video files are MPG.

I have copied the video to my hard drive, and have been using Videowave for processing. The problem I have is that some of the video files (around 10%) once copied to the computer hard drive loose audio, whilst the others are fine. The video camera is set to the highest setting (HD:HA).

Do you hear the audio when you play the video through Windows Media Player?

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. I just got a Panasonic HDC-SD100 and am using Creator 2009. All .mts files play back just fine in Cineplayer but when I add them in Videowave, they are converted to mpeg-2 files. All resultant mpg files are OK except for the very first one. I have tried deleting all scenes and reshooting a bunch more. Every time, audio is lost on the first clip. For some reason, the audio gets lost in translation.

The mpeg-2 converter that comes with the camera is just plain horrible. My next step is to confirm that only the first file is always the culprit or it is random. I will also try other mts to mpg converters.

Archived