• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burning Dvd+r Dl

oscar1918

Question

I have never had a problem using the EMC10 Copy & Convert utility using conventional dvds. Recently I tried using that utility to burn double layer dvds without success.

I use a DL capable LightScribe burner and have tried using both NX DVD+R DL (Circuit City cheapies) and Memorex DVD+R DL discs. Using the NX discs I got a message saying the media was not recognized. Using the Memorex discs, burning stops with an error after burning the first layer, about half the file. I was successful using Copy & Convert to create a DVD file, then using ImgBurn to copy that file to a Memorex double layer disc.

I would prefer to use only EMC10 because everything is available in one program. Hope someone can help.

11 answers to this question

Are you sure that your CD/DVD drive has the latest firmware? Check your media on another computer if you can. I am suggesting this because of the "media not recognized" message that you said you received. CD/DVD drive manufacturers do update the firmware for numerous media manufacturers. Also, try burning at 2x or slower.

What is the model and make of your CD/DVD drive?

You mentioned a Lightscribe capable drive. You might want to try this Lightscribe update:

http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection...dex.aspx?id=810

I think your problem though may be media as Jim indicated. Verbatim is an excellent media as suggested by Jim.

Thanks for the info, but neither the media nor the lightscribe.com download was a solution. The Verbatim disks, like the Memorex only burned the first layer in EMC10 before exiting with an error. Again, like with the Memorex disks, perfect Verbatim DVDs can made by using EMC10 Copy & Convert to create a set of DVD files and using ImgBurn to burn to disk.

Is there some setting in EMC10 that tells the burner to burn the second layer of a double layer dvd?

Are you sure that your CD/DVD drive has the latest firmware? Check your media on another computer if you can. I am suggesting this because of the "media not recognized" message that you said you received. CD/DVD drive manufacturers do update the firmware for numerous media manufacturers. Also, try burning at 2x or slower.

The drive is part of an HP desktop bundle. Windows device manager defines the drive as HP DVD Writer 740b.

Dave, I don't know where you have been? All DVD +R media either single layer or DL since it's inception, the lowest X speed is 2.4X.

The program is botching the burn (layer break most likely) if he makes a image and ImgBurn burns it fine!

cd

There are some interesting articles on the internet about your CD/DVD drive. One person reinstalled the burning software to correct the problem stating that it somehow got corrupted.

CD,

I was suggesting that the OP try the lowest speed possible since DVD DLs can be purchased at 16x. Burning slower might be worth a try.

Dave

I would ask what speed is he burning in Roxio and failing, what speed is he burning in ImgBurn with success?

Choaking on the layer break is real problem for some software.

cd

Thanks for trying to help guys; after reading some of the internet posts, I think I'll stick with what works (using ImgBurn to burn DL dvd's). I had 100% success with two Memorex (the last ones I had) and two Verbatim disks using that approach. I trashed the NX disks, they were worthless.

For reference, I always use the lowest speed for burning disks 2.4X for DL and 4X for conventional DVD. The few extra minutes of burn time is worth it in burn success rate.

Both brands are Media are best left in a dumpster… Verbatim is one brand we never hear a complaint about.

Make sure you have the latest firmware update for your drive. – You did not mention the source of these file

The original files are media center dvr files captured from TCM and not copy protected, edited and converted using copy & convert. Drive firmware is up to date.

I was successful using Copy & Convert to create a DVD file, then using ImgBurn to copy that file to a Memorex double layer disc.

I agree and would only use Verbatim DVD +R DL media for DL burning.

Continue making your image in Video Copy and Convert, if it won't burn the DL without error, use Imgburn, unless you like buying disc's?

cd

Archived