• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Wish List

On the verge

Question

I've been a Roxio user for many years, and have become dismayed at seeing a sturdy and useful product mutate into a bloated and fragile beast. These forums have provided some much needed help over the years, so rather than moan I post this in the hope Roxio might pay some attention. This is what I want to see in the next iteration of Easy Media:

1. A proper install/setup programme that allows me to choose the components to install. Please test install routines using some of the main registry cleaners to fix the poor / corrupted registry entries before releasing to the public.

2. Having the Media Manager (especially the roxwatch.exe component) and LiveShare turned off by default. Media Manager is intrusive, resource hungry and unnecessary.

3. Improve the interface for MyDVD - DVDit is powerful, easy to use and produces professional products so why can't MyDVD learn from this?

4. Allow programmes to remember if they need to start maximised rather than in a window.

5. If I save a project in Creator Classic to burn to a disc larger than the default CD, I want the programme to remember that disc size when I open the project again, rather than always default to the CD size and offer to span discs. Come on, how many people back data up to CDs if they have an XP or Vista PC?

6. If you have to install a separate back up programme in the bundle, please improve it. Back on Track is poorly featured and inflexible. Even Microsoft's own offering in Vista is much much better than this.

7. Allow us to make decisions about whether to use the simple hand-holding versions of programmes in the main Easy Media interface or go into expert mode and adjust a wider range of settings. (an example might be the converting records and cassettes to digital utility - more control over things please.)

Feel free to add your own suggestions!

1 answer to this question

I've been a Roxio user for many years, and have become dismayed at seeing a sturdy and useful product mutate into a bloated and fragile beast. These forums have provided some much needed help over the years, so rather than moan I post this in the hope Roxio might pay some attention. This is what I want to see in the next iteration of Easy Media:

1. A proper install/setup programme that allows me to choose the components to install. Please test install routines using some of the main registry cleaners to fix the poor / corrupted registry entries before releasing to the public.

We all did complain about this at the start. Unfortunately the industry trend these days is to really dumb things down and not to trust users with picking and choosing. Even MS does this (you used to be able to custom install 9x, then in XP you could still remove unwanted stuff by editing sysoc.inf. Vista onwards - you take what you're given and you're stuck with it

2. Having the Media Manager (especially the roxwatch.exe component) and LiveShare turned off by default. Media Manager is intrusive, resource hungry and unnecessary.

That goes with the above, but at least you CAN turn them off using admin tools in control panel

3. Improve the interface for MyDVD - DVDit is powerful, easy to use and produces professional products so why can't MyDVD learn from this?

DVDit also costs a LOT more than the whole suite

4. Allow programmes to remember if they need to start maximised rather than in a window.

Unfortunately then people will complain about it being done that way (any which way you do it will be wrong for an equal amount of other people :lol:

5. If I save a project in Creator Classic to burn to a disc larger than the default CD, I want the programme to remember that disc size when I open the project again, rather than always default to the CD size and offer to span discs. Come on, how many people back data up to CDs if they have an XP or Vista PC?

Good point

6. If you have to install a separate back up programme in the bundle, please improve it. Back on Track is poorly featured and inflexible. Even Microsoft's own offering in Vista is much much better than this.

Most of us totally ignore it - anything which does spanned backups is akin to playing Russian Roulette

7. Allow us to make decisions about whether to use the simple hand-holding versions of programmes in the main Easy Media interface or go into expert mode and adjust a wider range of settings. (an example might be the converting records and cassettes to digital utility - more control over things please.)

That goes back to your first point - again, unfortunately. the old 'trusted computing' demon raises its ugly head. FYI, 'trusted computing' was a MS idea - they trust the computer - they don't trust the user

Archived