• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Some Questions Before I Break The Seal

Eastwood

Question

Hi

I have purchased Roxio 2009 Creator, but haven't broken the seal and have 30 day return opportunity if it doesn't do what I need (it was on sale, couldn't pass it up). I can't open it and return it, but without opening it I won't know the true power of this software, so you can see my dilemna.

So hopefully I'm putting this in the right section of the forum. I have Windows XP if that matters.

Here are my questions, to which any responses would be greatly appreciated:

1. Burning (note, making a new CD using tracks from pre-existing and owned CD's): a. Once I have created a playlist that I am about to burn to a CD, can I switch the order of my song files to any order that I want (other programs I've tried did not let me do so, but they are perhaps archaic ex. Nero 5) b. Can this program, Roxio Creator 2009, utilize .wav files? So I've got a sound file that I have converted to .wav format - can I then drag and drop into a playlist to burn onto a CD? Does it recognize .wav files?

2. Using a personally owned and purchased DVD-movie, I want to be able to extract just the audio files, and then convert them to whatever I have to in order to play in my ipod. So, let's say I take the movie "Scarface", I want to be able to extract, say, "Say hello to my little friend!", and have just that section of the audio of the movie playable on an ipod, or any media player. Can Roxio Creator 2009 do this? And can it/does it convert the audio file to a format that is automatically playable on an Ipod/ITouch, or do I have to get yet another program to do so?

3. Can I take a video file that is .avi format, and burn it to a blank DVD?

A yes to all three of these questions and I'm breakin' the seal tonight! Heck, I'll even wear a Roxio t-shirt for a week if it does all of above - no software that I have seen will do all of above (if you know of one and can pass the name to me, that would be great!).

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

6 answers to this question

Okay

Thanks for the feedback Grandpabruce and Tom. I had no idea that that was illegal if I purchased and owned the dvd myself, as long as I was not using the audio file for profit or other such means. I appreciate that heads up. Will open my Roxio Creator this weekend.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Okay

Thanks for the feedback Grandpabruce and Tom. I had no idea that that was illegal if I purchased and owned the dvd myself, as long as I was not using the audio file for profit or other such means. I appreciate that heads up. Will open my Roxio Creator this weekend.

Thanks again for the feedback!

You're welcome, and I don't think there is anyone here, who would disagree with you, that it should be legal to make a copy of a commercial DVD that you purchased, for your own use.

I had no idea that that was illegal if I purchased and owned the dvd myself,
Technically you don't 'own' it. You are 'licensed' for personal viewing only. It is also illegal to show any purchased DVD in a large group whether you charge or not or charity. I know several bar owners that got sued over showing DVDs on a large screen in the bar.

Hi

I have purchased Roxio 2009 Creator, but haven't broken the seal and have 30 day return opportunity if it doesn't do what I need (it was on sale, couldn't pass it up). I can't open it and return it, but without opening it I won't know the true power of this software, so you can see my dilemna.

So hopefully I'm putting this in the right section of the forum. I have Windows XP if that matters.

Here are my questions, to which any responses would be greatly appreciated:

1. Burning (note, making a new CD using tracks from pre-existing and owned CD's): a. Once I have created a playlist that I am about to burn to a CD, can I switch the order of my song files to any order that I want (other programs I've tried did not let me do so, but they are perhaps archaic ex. Nero 5) b. Can this program, Roxio Creator 2009, utilize .wav files? So I've got a sound file that I have converted to .wav format - can I then drag and drop into a playlist to burn onto a CD? Does it recognize .wav files?

2. Using a personally owned and purchased DVD-movie, I want to be able to extract just the audio files, and then convert them to whatever I have to in order to play in my ipod. So, let's say I take the movie "Scarface", I want to be able to extract, say, "Say hello to my little friend!", and have just that section of the audio of the movie playable on an ipod, or any media player. Can Roxio Creator 2009 do this? And can it/does it convert the audio file to a format that is automatically playable on an Ipod/ITouch, or do I have to get yet another program to do so?

3. Can I take a video file that is .avi format, and burn it to a blank DVD?

A yes to all three of these questions and I'm breakin' the seal tonight! Heck, I'll even wear a Roxio t-shirt for a week if it does all of above - no software that I have seen will do all of above (if you know of one and can pass the name to me, that would be great!).

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

This will be moved to the correct area in these forums, but ...

No.2 is definitely a no.

The other two should not pose a problem; if definitely recognizes and allows you to manipulate non-DRM protected .wav files, and an .avi file is a type of file Roxio can handle.

According to an expert in these forums:

For Creator 2009

Supported Input Formats

Video: AVI, DV, HDV, DV-AVI, MPEG-1/2/4, MPEG2-HD, DVD-Video**, IFO/VOB, DivX, DivX HD, XviD, DVR-MS, TiVo, ASF, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, 3GP, MPEG2 Transport Stream, AVC (H.264), AVCHD, .MOD (JVC Everio cameras)

Audio: Audio CD, MP3, WAV, WMA, Dolby Digital AC-3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, M4A, MP4, Playlists (WPL, ASX, M3U, PLS, XSPF)

Image: JPG, PNG, TIFF, BMP, GIF

Supported Output Formats

Video: AVI, DV-AVI, HDV, MPEG-1/2/4, MPEG2-HD, DivX, DivX HD, WMV, WMV HD, AVC (H.264), MP4, 3GP

Audio: MP3, WAV, WMA, Dolby Digital AC-3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, MPEG-1/2, M4A, AAC, Playlists (M3U, PLS, XSPF, WPL)

Image: JPG, PNG, TIFF, BMP, GIF

Video disc formats: DVD, Video CD (VCD), Super Video CD (SVCD), Mini DVD.

Here.

Archived