• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Microsoft The Continuing Fight for Genuine Software

The Highlander

REDMOND, Wash., April 24, 2006 — For those outside the software industry, it can be difficult to appreciate the scope and impact of one of the industry’s biggest problems, counterfeit software. The Business Software Alliance has estimated that 35 percent of all PC software used worldwide is counterfeit or otherwise illegal, and the recent IDC Economic Impact Study asserts that if the piracy rate was lowered by 10 percentage points over the next four years, this would contribute 2.4 million new jobs and US$400 billion in economic growth to the global economy.

The negative impacts of counterfeiting and other forms of software piracy extend from the companies who wrote the software through the ecosystem of local resellers worldwide who depend on software sales, down to individual consumers. Counterfeit software can even expose consumers and businesses to spyware, viruses, faulty code and identity theft.

Microsoft is committed to protecting consumers and software resellers from counterfeit software and other forms of software piracy. The company recently announced an expanded focus on those efforts through creation of the Genuine Software Initiative (GSI).

As part of the Genuine Software Initiative, Microsoft will expand a pilot of the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program that provides notifications to consumers using non-genuine Microsoft Windows XP. Most customers will experience no change, but, for customers who are running a non-genuine copy of Windows, the new feature will enable notifications directly to their desktop that the copy of Windows they are running isn’t genuine. The Windows Genuine Advantage program was launched in July 2005 to provide an improved experience for consumers using genuine Windows XP and to help Microsoft address software piracy. To date, the owners of more than 150 million PCs have participated in the program. The first phase of the notifications pilot was launched in Norway and Sweden in November 2005, and in February 2006 in five additional countries. Today, Microsoft will expand the pilot to customers in the U.S., United Kingdom, Malaysia, Australia and New Zealand. In addition, Microsoft is piloting Microsoft Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) this week to help customers determine if they have a genuine installation of the Microsoft Office system of productivity applications. The program will initially be piloted in seven languages: Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, Greek, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Russian and Spanish.

According to Cori Hartje, director Microsoft’s Genuine Software Initiative, “The best way to protect consumers is, first, to educate them about the issue, then to equip them to spot counterfeit software, and finally, to help them understand what they should do about it,” she says. “That’s why we are working to build new tools such as the WGA notifications feature that can help consumers be confident that the software they are using is genuine.”

Full Story At Source

Pirating is just plain wrong but to use a hacked program for your operating system that you depend on is just plain stupid. Why take the chance that by using a pirated OS you can loose all the other software you stole. :)

Pirating is just plain wrong but to use a hacked program for your operating system that you depend on is just plain stupid. Why take the chance that by using a pirated OS you can loose all the other software you stole. :)

It is unreal. I had already started my business before XP came out. I only have 2 computers networked with XP Home Edition. I purchased two copies of XP Home. I think that the total cost was less than $200. It has paid for itself many times over in the past 4 years.

In todays world you have to be just plain crazy to be running a pirated copy of windows. I just was watching TV the other day when the top dude from China was over here visiting with Bush. And guess who else he had a nice long visit with---Yes, you guessed it---Bill Gates. And if one were a fly on the wall and could have heard some of their conversation, I'll bet some of it was a topic on Pirated software.

I had also seen on TV where the huge majority of pirated software (that's all software, DVD's Operating systems etc.) was in the Orient. I do not agree with all of the past tactics that mS has gone to to add some of the programming to their software, but I have to say that MS is loosing one heck of a lot of money do to this pirating.

On the other hand, one part of the post text read..."150 million PC's have participated in the program.." And I really wonder how many other PC's have participated in the program with out knowlege of their participation ?? And that's scarry as far as I'm concerned. But they can test my computers anytime they want. I'm as legal as you can be !!!

Frank.....

(PERSONAL UPDATE FROM MY PREVIOUS POST)

Well, I guess I will be one of the 150 million that has participated in the "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification" program. This morning I received the update notification icon on my taskbar to update two separate updates from Microsoft. One was the W.G.A.N. update. I down loaded both of the updates. The information shown for the W.G.A.N. update says that any computer NOT running a genuine copy of the operating system wil get a screen telling them that and will also give them a way to get a genuine copy. I wonder what the cost of that will be ?

Didn't say anything about notifying the person that he had a good copy however.

Frank....

(PERSONAL UPDATE FROM MY PREVIOUS POST)

Well, I guess I will be one of the 150 million that has participated in the "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification" program. This morning I received the update notification icon on my taskbar to update two separate updates from Microsoft. One was the W.G.A.N. update. I down loaded both of the updates. The information shown for the W.G.A.N. update says that any computer NOT running a genuine copy of the operating system wil get a screen telling them that and will also give them a way to get a genuine copy. I wonder what the cost of that will be ?

Didn't say anything about notifying the person that he had a good copy however.

Frank....

At some point Microsoft sniffed that the fact my WinXP was registred to the vendor I'd gotten it from would become a problem. I don't recall if I got that straightened out or not. (I don't have it on at the moment.)

Lynn

I wonder if any one else has gotten this latest update regarding the W.G.A.N. and down loaded it ?

Frank....

Frank -

In some other thread you said it was possible to turn the Microsoft warning notice off so it wouldn't pop up on reboot.

I was wandering around the WinXP for some reason, and found that screen. Now, you say you got a notification. That means you have it set to notilfy you when there are updates.

Mine is turned OFF. Just plain OFF. If it doesn't yell about it when I reboot, it's time to find out what screwed it up, and reset.

When it's mentioned on the BBC, it's time to go to Microsoft and download - and I'm usually there ahead of the crowd.

Lynn

I don't know if anyone's interested, but I downloaded this little "tool". Why not...I'm legal too and it knew so.

No harm in it.

By the way, if someone doesn't already know, the WGA is an optional download. Go to the download site and tell it to hide that optional download if you can't be bothered with it. Of course, if it's genuine, you have no need to worry about it now.

This isn't really anything new though. MS has been asking to check for legal OS for certain updates and downloads for quite some time now.

You're right Lynn, I did have the update turned off and then turned it back on for a while. During the time I had it back on (was prompted to do so to see what the new update was all about) I got the update for the WGAN. I kind of was thinking a lot like Vid2man98 as far as it not doing any harm if one is legal. I just wanted to see something come back on my computer telling me that I was legal. That didn't happen. I think it would be just as good if MS also came up with a screen for the legal guys as well.

BTW, my updates have been turned back off again, but this time I chose to let it remind me rather than updating automatically. I want to be the judge of when and if I want to update any more security stuff.

Frank....

I don't have a problem with updating. I don't know what the authorizing thing y'all are referring to is, but I know so far 3 times I've had to download something before I could get to anything else.

However, I don't want Microsoft to "do it for me". And they have more than once changed it to auto-update. I will CHOOSE what to add, thanks.

When I see that complaint when the system boots, that it isn't set to auto-update, I figure auto-update is turned off. That's the way I like it.

The monthly release date usually hits the news and I can go find them instead of the other way around.

Lynn

Archived