Sign in to follow this  
geebster

Roxio Creator 2009 - Launching Probems

Question

I'm a long time user of the Roxio/Creator line of products and they have always performed well for me.

I just purchased creator 2009 a couple of days ago and have a specific scenario when the Roxio program fails to launch with a XP sp3 machine.

Before I pinpointed the problem specifically, I uninstalled the program and performed a clean install, to see if this would solve the issue.

After a little trial and error, I find that Roxio creator doesn't launch properly (get a windows, "must close this program") when it is loading all the different modules when it's on the orange start-up screen when I have Norton security 2009 enabled in the system tray.

If I turn off norton security, roxio starts properly. Is this a known issue?

It's not really a huge deal, now that I know how to deal with the problem..... and once the program has started properly all aspects of creator work flawlessly.

I usually would normally turn off any anti-virus programs when I work with disc creation software anyway, so it's really not an issue with the program per se.

Just curious if Roxio had heard of this before and if there is a way to run norton security and start creator properly?

Regards.....

13 answers to this question

Not sure I even understand the question…

Are you saying the Home app doesn't launch?

If that is the case you can launch any other program through the regular Start Menu and click on Help – Check for Updates and download and apply the Creator 2009 SP2.

Not sure I even understand the question…

Are you saying the Home app doesn't launch?

If that is the case you can launch any other program through the regular Start Menu and click on Help – Check for Updates and download and apply the Creator 2009 SP2.

Correct. I am launching the "home" app by clicking on the creator "star" icon on my desktop. It tries to load and at some point, before the complete program loads, I get the windows "must close this program" error message.

I did install the sp2 patch, but the program still refuses to load when norton internet security is active in the system tray. If I disable the antivirus application within Norton, Creator loads properly.

Hmmm. From the nature of your response, this must be a new discovery on Roxio's part...

I'm an old school computer user and have been using them since the first IBM PC came out....and back in the early days with disc creation software it was always advised to turn EVERYTHING off EXCEPT the disc creation software package.....so this really isn't a major issue. I should turn Norton off anyway before working with Roxio.

Yes, I am aware that the individual parts of the program can be started seperately. It seems that the individual parts start fine, it's just when the "home" app is attempting to start that the error occurs.

Thanks....

Maybe the trick is to put a leash on Norton…

Otherwise once you get the Home app running, you could Tools – Options and stop the automatic update.

post-39730-1232712449.jpg

Let me know if that makes any difference to Norton?

Maybe the trick is to put a leash on Norton…

Otherwise once you get the Home app running, you could Tools – Options and stop the automatic update.

Let me know if that makes any difference to Norton?

Thanks for the tip. I tried that and I'm still getting the dreaded "must close program" error message when the "home" app is attempting to load, most of the time. It does appear to help a little. Since turning the automatic update feature off, it takes about 3 attempts for the "home" app to load.

What is strange is that it doesn't "hang" at one particular module. Sometimes it stops loading at the "image gallery", sometimes the "roxio central support", etc, etc. It never stops loading at any one particular point.

And stranger still. It almost always loads without incident when Norton is disabled. Hmmmmm. Very Interesting.

It would not be the first time Roxio had to go to Norton to get them to fix their AV software…

Can you supply some specifics of what Norton you are running?

It would not be the first time Roxio had to go to Norton to get them to fix their AV software…

Can you supply some specifics of what Norton you are running?

Norton Internet Security 2009.... Running on a Dell 1.7 Ghz w/ 1GB Ram... XP sp3.

And if this helps, I'm running it with all of Norton's factory defaults in place.

Thanks again for all of your time you are spending with this issue. I am very appreciative.....

Edited by geebster

Just thought I would add that I am running Norton Internet Security 2009 and RC2009 and. so far, they seem to be OK with each other. I had been running EMC 10 and upgraded last week to RC2009.

Stan

Thanks for the info Stan. Every bit of information will help solving this situation.

I'm in the process of getting a new machine and if Norton & Roxio Creator 2009 work together properly there, I will probably format the HD and perform a fresh install of Windows on the old machine. It's been a couple of years since it was done, and who knows what the real culprit is.....

I think I'm going to put this aside for right now. I'm going to perform a clean uninstall and put back on the old machine a copy of the "red box" roxio cd & dvd burning software that was working fine on the old computer. Since it will be my secondary machine, that software package will be more than enough to fulfill my needs.

I will report back here if I have any issues with Creator 2009 and Norton on the new machine. My guess is that I will have no issues.

Thanks everyone for their input!

I think I'm going to put this aside for right now. I'm going to perform a clean uninstall and put back on the old machine a copy of the "red box" roxio cd & dvd burning software that was working fine on the old computer. Since it will be my secondary machine, that software package will be more than enough to fulfill my needs.

I will report back here if I have any issues with Creator 2009 and Norton on the new machine. My guess is that I will have no issues.

Thanks everyone for their input!

A more simple solution would be to turn off the Norton, when you are working with Creator 2009.

A more simple solution would be to turn off the Norton, when you are working with Creator 2009.

That's what I'm doing now.... But on the second machine RC2009 is way more authoring software than I need anyway, so I'm going for the fix that I know will work.......without having to remember to turn "this or that" off.....

I'm semi-retired, so I really don't need simple fixes.

And being a former PC tech, I find problems not to be a burden but a fun and interesting challenge!!! :rolleyes:

I just loaded Creator 2009 and an experiencing the same launch failure problem ("encountered a problem and must close ..."). I use eset node32 anti-virus software. I also successfully completed the Roxio launch when I temporarily disabled the security SW - it's not just Norton. (I've also done clean uninstalls/reinstalls.) What's Creator's problem with launching within running security SW?

I really don't want to pause my security SW every time I start Creator 2009!

I just loaded Creator 2009 and an experiencing the same launch failure problem ("encountered a problem and must close ..."). I use eset node32 anti-virus software. I also successfully completed the Roxio launch when I temporarily disabled the security SW - it's not just Norton. (I've also done clean uninstalls/reinstalls.) What's Creator's problem with launching within running security SW?

I really don't want to pause my security SW every time I start Creator 2009!

I guess I'd ask what is wrong with your security program? See if there are settings in it, where you can have it ignore all Roxio/Sonic programs.