• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Disc Copier

easyuser99

Question

Hi all,

I'm a newbie at using EMC. I'm attempting to copy 6 .avi files (each 700MB) to a File/Folder using EMC 8 Disc Copier. The copy process is extremely slow. The operation has been in progress now for more than 20 minutes and it is still at Phase 1 of 3 (3%), 1% total. At this rate it will take over 33 hours to complete the operation.

The reason I'm copying to a File/Foler instead of directly to a DVD is to test how the product works and to see what it produces. Once I'm satisfied with the results, I will then create a DVD from this output.

Can anyone please tell me why this operation is so slow? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you,

Vic

9 answers to this question

Thanks for your reply Bruce. Besides the EMC8 User's guide, is there any other documentation you'd recommend?

Regards,

Vic

You will get lots of information from these forums, too. The help files will get you started in the right direction, though.

If you have not done so already, download the .PDF manual, if you did not get a book with your EMC 8.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=2243

Thanks again Bruce.

Yes I have downloaded it and will read it.

I'm still curious though, about my original question: why was Disc Copier taking so long?

Regards,

Vic

I don't know why it would take that long, unless you have many uneeded things running in the background. If RoxioWatch is running, disable it.

I'll look into disabling ROXIOWATH. I'm in the process of running MyDVD to create a DVD folder which contains two 1 hour clips created from two .avi files. It's been running for over 3 hours and is 64% complete. In your experiance, is this about right?

Thanks,

Vic

I'll look into disabling ROXIOWATH. I'm in the process of running MyDVD to create a DVD folder which contains two 1 hour clips created from two .avi files. It's been running for over 3 hours and is 64% complete. In your experiance, is this about right?

Thanks,

Vic

That time sounds about right. It depends on your processor, and yours is just a bit less than mine. I am a little over twice as long as the amount of time in the clips.

Thanks,

Vic

To encode 1 hour of avi video to a DVD compliant mpg file will require from 3 to 5 hours depending on your system, other applications running, defrag status of your hard drive and a bit of good luck. So yes, I would say "it's about right"

I hope you will not try to put more than 2 hours of video on a 4.7GB DVD. At best quality a standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minuts of video, so if you are compressing 2 one hour clips you will lose quite a bit of quality.

Bruce, Walt:

Thank you both very much for your replies.

Walt, yes I am trying to put 2 hours of video on one 4.7GB DVD. I'm a first time user so I'm experimenting. I'll burn it to a RW DVD and see what it looks like. BTW: I'm not concerned about video quality for this particular video, but thanks for the heads up.

Regards,

Vic

Hi all,

I'm a newbie at using EMC. I'm attempting to copy 6 .avi files (each 700MB) to a File/Folder using EMC 8 Disc Copier. The copy process is extremely slow. The operation has been in progress now for more than 20 minutes and it is still at Phase 1 of 3 (3%), 1% total. At this rate it will take over 33 hours to complete the operation.

The reason I'm copying to a File/Foler instead of directly to a DVD is to test how the product works and to see what it produces. Once I'm satisfied with the results, I will then create a DVD from this output.

Can anyone please tell me why this operation is so slow? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you,

Vic

I hope that you are not trying to create a video DVD that way, because it won't work. You need first of all, to do lots of reading. Then you will know that you need to take those .avi files to MyDVD to be able to burn them to a DVD as a video.

If you just want to archive those .avi's, then you do it with Creator Classic.

Also, you will find in your reading, that file size means nothing when it comes to video work. The amount of time is what counts, and you can figure to get 1 hour of video, at best quality, on a standard 4.7GB DVD.

Archived