• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Unable To Install Emc 9.1 Update

ronalds173

Question

I bought a new computer running Vista Home Premium 64 bit ver. Since I purchased the backup disks of EMC 9 for my old computer I planned to install it on the new computer. After looking at the directions in this forum, I did a clean install of EMC 9, uninstalled Drag-To-Disc and then downloaded and did a clean install of EMC 9.1. Since EMC 9.1 uninstalls EMC 9 I did not uninstall EMC 9--I let EMC 9.1 do it. But, after if finished uninstalling EMC 9, and began installing the update it quit. I got a dialog box noting that it wasn't able to complete the installation and that I should try it again later. I then attempted to do it again, but it failed either because EMC 9.1 couldn't find my previously installed version of EMC 9 and/or because I was doing a clean install, Roxio's DMX Launcher in the Startup Tab was disabled. I checked the ADD/REMOVE folder and EMC 9 is gone, although some of the third party programs, (i.e., Xingtone Ringtone Maker and DivX), have either been reinstalled or were left behind from the earlier (EMC 9) installation. Also, in my startup tab, (after doing the "msconfig"), shows that there is a Roxio program called DMX Launcher installed.

1. How do I get EMC 9.1 to complete installation. :unsure:

2. If I do a clean install of EMC 9.1, do I need to disable everything on the Startup tab, including the DMX Launcher, or do I leave that enabled? :unsure:

3. Since I now have these 2 third party programs and the DMX Launcher, which has the Roxio name on it, do I have uninstall these programs and/or make changes in the registry before re-installing EMC 9 before attempting reinstall EMC 9.1? :unsure:

4. Should I have NOT uninstalled Drag-To-Disc before attempting the installation of the update? :unsure:

20 answers to this question

Install 9.0 again, reboot, and when booted up again, disable all Roxio services, under the Startup tab, in msconfig. Click Apply, OK, then reboot, put a check in the box in the lower left corner of the screen that pops up, once the computer is booted again.

Also, install the 9.0 Content, and shut down your anti-virus software, Bit Defender, etc.

Now, run the 9.1 updater, and see if it works. I don't know if this will help, but it is worth the shot.

Install 9.0 again, reboot, and when booted up again, disable all Roxio services, under the Startup tab, in msconfig. Click Apply, OK, then reboot, put a check in the box in the lower left corner of the screen that pops up, once the computer is booted again.

Also, install the 9.0 Content, and shut down your anti-virus software, Bit Defender, etc.

Now, run the 9.1 updater, and see if it works. I don't know if this will help, but it is worth the shot.

Should I re-install 9.0 doing a "clean install"? Then after doing the reinstall, you want me to do the msconfig, but instead of disabling everything in the Startup tab, just disable all Roxio services, reboot and then install 9.1. Is that correct? (I know that I have to disable my anti-virus, but should I also disable my firewall too?)

Should I re-install 9.0 doing a "clean install"? Then after doing the reinstall, you want me to do the msconfig, but instead of disabling everything in the Startup tab, just disable all Roxio services, reboot and then install 9.1. Is that correct? (I know that I have to disable my anti-virus, but should I also disable my firewall too?)

Yes, to all of your questions. I don't know if it will work, but nothing else has, so far.

Yes, to all of your questions. I don't know if it will work, but nothing else has, so far.

I did as you suggested with exception of checking a box in the lower left corner--I didn't see any box to check. What screen will I be finding this box on? It didn't work when I tried it again--about the 6th time. I am getting frustrated and extremely angry. I don't know if I am not doing things in the right order, it that really matters, or I am not fully understanding the directions or it just doesn't work. But, so far nothing has worked for me. :angry2:

I believe Bruce was referring to the Services tab under msconfig. Hide All Microsoft windows Services should be the box to check - that way you'll be able to find all the Roxio and isolate yourself from disabling any MS service.

No that is not the checkbox Bruce is referring too - read Bruce's posts again and you will see that he is referring to the checkbox on the pop-up window that appears after the reboot

No that is not the checkbox Bruce is referring too - read Bruce's posts again and you will see that he is referring to the checkbox on the pop-up window that appears after the reboot

You are correct, Walt.

@ ronalds173: Read my last post again. If you went into msconfig, and did what I said, after the reboot, there will be a box that comes up saying, basically that you changed things. That screen has a box, in the lower left corner that says not to show the screen at bootup. The default is for the box to be unchecked. Put a check in it.

You are correct, Walt.

@ ronalds173: Read my last post again. If you went into msconfig, and did what I said, after the reboot, there will be a box that comes up saying, basically that you changed things. That screen has a box, in the lower left corner that says not to show the screen at bootup. The default is for the box to be unchecked. Put a check in it.

OK! I have read and re-read it several times. The part in question then is "...put a check in the box in the lower left corner of the screen that pops up, once the computer is booted again." Well, opened msconfig and saw the check box under the Servics tab, but when I reboot there is never a screen that pops up with a box to check. I know that when I would run the msconfig on my old XP computer every time I rebooted I would get a dialog box regarding the change in status but, I get no such screen after making the changes on the services and/or startup tab in msconfig on my Vista 64 bit computer--it just isn't there!

On my VISTA system, I have no Roxio services under the Startup tab. But I do have Roxio services under the Services tab.

Of course there are no "services" under the Startup Tab, they only appear under the "services Tab". The Startup Tab lists the application that are started :rolleyes:

OK! I have read and re-read it several times. The part in question then is "...put a check in the box in the lower left corner of the screen that pops up, once the computer is booted again." Well, opened msconfig and saw the check box under the Servics tab, but when I reboot there is never a screen that pops up with a box to check. I know that when I would run the msconfig on my old XP computer every time I rebooted I would get a dialog box regarding the change in status but, I get no such screen after making the changes on the services and/or startup tab in msconfig on my Vista 64 bit computer--it just isn't there!

It looks like VISTA 64 works completely different :angry:

I had previously printed off instructions on how to do a clean install for Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista, (ID#000127CR). It then goes on to give instructions on how to remove EMC 9 & 10 on Windows Vista--I don't know why since EMC 9.1 does it, but I am following the directions.

What I have done so far is:

1. Delete all Roxio & Sonic programs from the ADD/DELETE folder--(there are none in there for me to delete, so I guess I already did it). I also used the MS Cleanup Utility to search for Roxio & Sonic programs to delete, but found none.

2. Opened MSCONFIG, disabled all startup services under the Startup Tab.

3. Under the Services Tab there are no Sonic Solutions applications--the directions say to look for & uncheck all Sonic applications.

(a) Rebooted--No dialog box pops up noting that changes have been made--but I have checked numerous times and the changes are

there. (The dialog box doesn't appear on Vista 64.)

4. Per the instructions, I deleted Roxio folder from the Program Files, as well as the Roxio files in App Data\Local & App Data\ Roaming.

(I just realized I need to search for & delete "...Common Files\Roxio Shared"--I haven't done that yet.)

5. I will go back (again) and do the regedit to delete Roxio & Sonic folders from both software folders in HKEY_CURRENT_USER & HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folders.

At this point the directions say to reboot and reinstall "Easy Media Creator." What I am not sure about in regards to all of these directions is:

A. Why do any of this before installing EMC 9 since EMC 9.1 uninstalls EMC 9.0? :unsure:

B. Do I need to do this because I have unsuccessfully attempted to install EMC 9.1? :unsure: (EMC 9.0 is installing successfully.)

OR C. Should I be doing all of this after loading EMC 9.0 but before attempting to install EMC 9.1? :unsure:

D. After reinstalling EMC 9.0, should I go back into the msconfig Startup Tab and enable everything except the Roxio & Sonic applications or keep everything disabled?

(Am I reading too much into all of these directions and screwing myself up even more???) :unsure:

Normally everything is supposed to be "cleaned" up during a clean install but sometimes stuff gets left behind. You seem to be following the approach for cleaning up Roxio. Reread the clean install procedures and most of your questions will be answered. Do not skip any steps!

When installing EMC 9 and 9.1, I would recommend that you disable your virus software and firewall. Also, be sure that any Norton registry clean process skips the Roxio and Sonic entries if you are using Norton.

Edited by Big_Dave

I think I may have found my point of confusion, so please clarify this for me. You state that after reinstalling 9.0 & rebooting I should go into the Startup Tab in msconfig and disable only the Roxio services. What I had been doing is disabling everything including the Roxio services. :unsure:

As an aside, however, I am wondering if you can explain why Drag-To-Disc would still show up in the Startup Tab in msconfig, when I have deleted it from the ADD/REMOVE? :unsure:

Also, VISTA 32 doesn't get the pop-up window as Bruce indicated. The procedure must only work for XP and not VISTA.

I'll be darned. There are some good things about Vista, then. :)

I think I may have found my point of confusion, so please clarify this for me. You state that after reinstalling 9.0 & rebooting I should go into the Startup Tab in msconfig and disable only the Roxio services. What I had been doing is disabling everything including the Roxio services. :unsure:

As an aside, however, I am wondering if you can explain why Drag-To-Disc would still show up in the Startup Tab in msconfig, when I have deleted it from the ADD/REMOVE? :unsure:

Yes, uncheck the Roxio items in msconfig. If Drag to Disc is checked, uncheck it, too. I don't know why it would be there, if you uninstalled it in Add/Remove Programs. Drag to Disc is a separate entry there.

I just came from a website that may explain my problem, (http://kb.sage.edu/kb/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=64). Although this website was last updated 8/19/2008, and I don't know when EMC 9.1 was written, it is noted that "Roxio (Sonic) Easy Media Creator 9 - (32-bit),Roxio Media Creator 9.0.603 XE (64bit), only creator classic is installed." Since I have been trying to install everything that Roxio says will work on Vista with the exception of D2D & Xingtone, and it's not working it appears that ONLY Creator Classic works on Vista 64 bit. Dave noted that he was able to install EMC 9.1, but he also noted that he has Vista 32 bit--I have 64 bit. Which is why I wonder when EMC 9.1 was written--before or after 8/19/08, when they note its almost complete incompatibility with Vista 64?

I am interested in the possibilies of EMC 10, which I hope is compatible with Vista 64. :huh: If it is then I will upgrade to that--if I can?

I just came from a website that may explain my problem, (http://kb.sage.edu/kb/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=64). Although this website was last updated 8/19/2008, and I don't know when EMC 9.1 was written, it is noted that "Roxio (Sonic) Easy Media Creator 9 - (32-bit),Roxio Media Creator 9.0.603 XE (64bit), only creator classic is installed." Since I have been trying to install everything that Roxio says will work on Vista with the exception of D2D & Xingtone, and it's not working it appears that ONLY Creator Classic works on Vista 64 bit. Dave noted that he was able to install EMC 9.1, but he also noted that he has Vista 32 bit--I have 64 bit. Which is why I wonder when EMC 9.1 was written--before or after 8/19/08, when they note its almost complete incompatibility with Vista 64?

I am interested in the possibilies of EMC 10, which I hope is compatible with Vista 64. :huh: If it is then I will upgrade to that--if I can?

EMC 9.1 was written in mid-2007.

EMC 10 is last year's model. You may have more luck with the current version, EMC 11, which for some unknown reason has been confusingly called "Creator 2009"

I bought a new computer running Vista Home Premium 64 bit ver. Since I purchased the backup disks of EMC 9 for my old computer I planned to install it on the new computer. After looking at the directions in this forum, I did a clean install of EMC 9, uninstalled Drag-To-Disc and then downloaded and did a clean install of EMC 9.1. Since EMC 9.1 uninstalls EMC 9 I did not uninstall EMC 9--I let EMC 9.1 do it. But, after if finished uninstalling EMC 9, and began installing the update it quit. I got a dialog box noting that it wasn't able to complete the installation and that I should try it again later. I then attempted to do it again, but it failed either because EMC 9.1 couldn't find my previously installed version of EMC 9 and/or because I was doing a clean install, Roxio's DMX Launcher in the Startup Tab was disabled. I checked the ADD/REMOVE folder and EMC 9 is gone, although some of the third party programs, (i.e., Xingtone Ringtone Maker and DivX), have either been reinstalled or were left behind from the earlier (EMC 9) installation. Also, in my startup tab, (after doing the "msconfig"), shows that there is a Roxio program called DMX Launcher installed.

1. How do I get EMC 9.1 to complete installation. :unsure:

2. If I do a clean install of EMC 9.1, do I need to disable everything on the Startup tab, including the DMX Launcher, or do I leave that enabled? :unsure:

3. Since I now have these 2 third party programs and the DMX Launcher, which has the Roxio name on it, do I have uninstall these programs and/or make changes in the registry before re-installing EMC 9 before attempting reinstall EMC 9.1? :unsure:

4. Should I have NOT uninstalled Drag-To-Disc before attempting the installation of the update? :unsure:

Ron,

I had the EXACT same thng happen to me with EMC9 the past few weeks, and I was able to sucsessfult re-install EMC9 on my Vista box. I posted what I did in the Installation/Uninstallation/Update forum. In short, I followed the 'Creator 2009 Clean Install' doc to the letter. You questions about services are answered in the doc. As far as the reinsatal order, follow the doc, reinstall EMC9 & Content. Update 'PX engine' if you have issues, and 9.1 if you have a need. Otherwise I'd forget about them. One would think that Roxio would have this automated by now.

Were you able to get EMC9 re installed?