• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Help Noob

chopperdog

Question

All,

I must be missing something but the documentation for Toast 10 is a little light.; I am a noob to Toast and MAC.

I have some MP4 files that a friend gave me. I want to burn them onto a DVD to watch on my DVD player. How do I do that? I dragged the files onto Video ? ( Toast is converting now and I can't repeat what I did) and the pop up box choices to convert to had some apple devices, some game consoles and some file formats that didn't seem to say anything about a DVD player.

What format does a DVD player read? Maybe the bigger question is how do I convert MP4's. Maybe the biggest question is where can I find some good Toast How To's or documentation?

Thx for any help,

Chopper

6 answers to this question

All,

I must be missing something but the documentation for Toast 10 is a little light.; I am a noob to Toast and MAC.

I have some MP4 files that a friend gave me. I want to burn them onto a DVD to watch on my DVD player. How do I do that? I dragged the files onto Video ? ( Toast is converting now and I can't repeat what I did) and the pop up box choices to convert to had some apple devices, some game consoles and some file formats that didn't seem to say anything about a DVD player.

What format does a DVD player read? Maybe the bigger question is how do I convert MP4's. Maybe the biggest question is where can I find some good Toast How To's or documentation?

Thx for any help,

Chopper

Did you read the manual? How about the kb and other help files on this page (link)?

Did you read the manual? How about the kb and other help files on this page (link)?
OK I am going to show my ignorance, what manual? There is a help document that I found, it just doesn't seem to be much help. I have searched the forums and everything I seem to find is not related. I suspect that I am looking for some pretty basic stuff. :blink:

OK I am going to show my ignorance, what manual? There is a help document that I found, it just doesn't seem to be much help. I have searched the forums and everything I seem to find is not related. I suspect that I am looking for some pretty basic stuff. :blink:

You are in the wrong part of Toast to make a video DVD. Toast has five sections that are accessed via the icons across the top. They are Data, Audio, Video, Copy and Convert. Your description indicates you are in the Convert window. Click the Video icon to move to that window. Once there choose DVD video as the format and add the video files. The next step is to prepare the menu the way you want it by editing the text, scrolling the thumbnail image to the frame you want as a button, naming the DVD, selecting a menu style, and checking the playback options.

The Toast user's guide is pretty good in describing these steps. When you click "Toast Titanium Help in the Toast Help menu the manual opens as a PDF file. Click the link on "Making Video Discs" and then choose Making a DVD or BD Video Disc." This user's guide also is a separate PDF file that you can copy to your hard drive from the mounted disc image (if you downloaded Toast 10) or from the Install DVD.

You are in the wrong part of Toast to make a video DVD. Toast has five sections that are accessed via the icons across the top. They are Data, Audio, Video, Copy and Convert. Your description indicates you are in the Convert window. Click the Video icon to move to that window. Once there choose DVD video as the format and add the video files. The next step is to prepare the menu the way you want it by editing the text, scrolling the thumbnail image to the frame you want as a button, naming the DVD, selecting a menu style, and checking the playback options.

The Toast user's guide is pretty good in describing these steps. When you click "Toast Titanium Help in the Toast Help menu the manual opens as a PDF file. Click the link on "Making Video Discs" and then choose Making a DVD or BD Video Disc." This user's guide also is a separate PDF file that you can copy to your hard drive from the mounted disc image (if you downloaded Toast 10) or from the Install DVD.

Duh! I was right, I did show my ignorance. :blink: After a little closer examination, and a few mouse clicks, I now see that it is actually the manual. Thanks for the help. I am finding out why so many people recommended toast. Between the last post and this one, I have been feeling my way around the app and it is looking a little easier to use. I have burned 2 DVDs and both have a problem with pausing. It is not a skip, just a 1 sec or so pause and then it keeps playing. Happens about 1 a min. Any ideas?

And thanks a bunch for the help, it is greatly appreciated!

Chopper :)

Duh! I was right, I did show my ignorance. :blink: After a little closer examination, and a few mouse clicks, I now see that it is actually the manual. Thanks for the help. I am finding out why so many people recommended toast. Between the last post and this one, I have been feeling my way around the app and it is looking a little easier to use. I have burned 2 DVDs and both have a problem with pausing. It is not a skip, just a 1 sec or so pause and then it keeps playing. Happens about 1 a min. Any ideas?

And thanks a bunch for the help, it is greatly appreciated!

Chopper :)

Do those momentary pauses happen when playing on the Mac as well as playing on a standalone DVD player. I'm not sure what is causing that for you but it can be due to the brand of discs you are using. I suggest testing with a different brand of media to see if the same problem appears.

You also can choose Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button. This creates a disc image of your video DVD that, when mounted, can be played in DVD Player. Since it is playing from the hard drive instead of a disc you can better tell if the pausing is a media problem. After saving a disc image you can burn it to DVD using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

What brand of DVD player do you have. There are some posts in the EMC section that discusses the same problem with a specific brand of DVD player when playing a home burned DVD.

Edit: I tried to find that information but could not do so quickly. You might try searching these boards for the brand name of your DVD player to see if you can find the posts and any solutions.

Edited by sknis