• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Mpg File Can't Be Read By Media Player

-kenl-

Question

Windows Vista Home Premiium (x64)

Media player 10

MPG Created by Creator 2009, but had same issue with Creator 9.

I know it's a driver issue, I think. Sound drivers are the latest and greatest for my MoBo and Sound card.

===============

When I go to play a MPG file created on this PC, it failed with a sound to run and the code I get is.

You've encountered error message C00D11B1 while using Windows Media Player. The following information might help you troubleshoot the issue.

Cannot play the file

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

Your sound device, such as a sound card or sound controller, requires an updated driver. To determine if an updated driver is available, see Windows Update at the Microsoft Web site, or see the sound device manufacturer's Web site.

Your sound device is not functioning properly. Try using Device Manager to check the status of your sound device.

==============

How can I trouble shoot this issue?

Reinstall codecs??

Help, please going crazy with this one

7 answers to this question

Windows Vista Home Premiium (x64)

Media player 10

MPG Created by Creator 2009, but had same issue with Creator 9.

I know it's a driver issue, I think. Sound drivers are the latest and greatest for my MoBo and Sound card.

===============

When I go to play a MPG file created on this PC, it failed with a sound to run and the code I get is.

You've encountered error message C00D11B1 while using Windows Media Player. The following information might help you troubleshoot the issue.

Cannot play the file

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

Your sound device, such as a sound card or sound controller, requires an updated driver. To determine if an updated driver is available, see Windows Update at the Microsoft Web site, or see the sound device manufacturer's Web site.

Your sound device is not functioning properly. Try using Device Manager to check the status of your sound device.

==============

How can I trouble shoot this issue?

Reinstall codecs??

Help, please going crazy with this one

Try this first. Download and run gspot on the file. It will tell you lots about the file itself and if you have the correct codec. Post the information in a reply.

WMP 10? I thought that Vista came with WMP 11.

I don't have Vista but I do know it handles audio devices very differently than XP. Make sure you have enabled the audio device and that you have the audio card/chip drivers for Vista 64

This ONLY happens when I create a MPG file with Creator. When I try to play the video back in media player, I get the error.

If I create a video in movie maker, it plays just fine.

Another test, I tried the video I created on this PC with Creator, on another pc (XP) and it plays fine.

So the error is from creator to Media player on this vista box. By the way this issue existed in Creater 9 also. So I beleive I have a codec issue, but the tester we used above works. I could even play the video from with in the application.

This is making my head hurt :-)

Ken

This ONLY happens when I create a MPG file with Creator. When I try to play the video back in media player, I get the error.

If I create a video in movie maker, it plays just fine.

Another test, I tried the video I created on this PC with Creator, on another pc (XP) and it plays fine.

So the error is from creator to Media player on this vista box. By the way this issue existed in Creater 9 also. So I beleive I have a codec issue, but the tester we used above works. I could even play the video from with in the application.

This is making my head hurt :-)

Ken

Unfortunately, you didn't answer the question(s), and maybe I didn't ask correctly, but how is the video that you're using getting into the PC? Are you capturing it from an analog device? What device? And what application to capture it?

Or is it a .AVI file from another source? What source?

Where is the video coming from originally... prior to any processing by any program?

And yes, the fact that it work properly on another PC does make it sound like possibly a Codec issue. But still, let us know the source of the video.

Have you tried doing a clean uninstall/install of Creator 2009? (You'll find instructions for that under the Installation/Uninstallation/Update heading.)

Unfortunately, you didn't answer the question(s), and maybe I didn't ask correctly, but how is the video that you're using getting into the PC? Are you capturing it from an analog device? What device? And what application to capture it?

Or is it a .AVI file from another source? What source?

Where is the video coming from originally... prior to any processing by any program?

And yes, the fact that it work properly on another PC does make it sound like possibly a Codec issue. But still, let us know the source of the video.

Have you tried doing a clean uninstall/install of Creator 2009? (You'll find instructions for that under the Installation/Uninstallation/Update heading.)

The video is a slide show, saved from creator. The still pictures are on my PC already. Using the same pictures, I can create a slide show in movie maker and it plays. Using the same photo's in Creator saving the file as a test.mpg and I can't play it.

The video is a slide show, saved from creator. The still pictures are on my PC already. Using the same pictures, I can create a slide show in movie maker and it plays. Using the same photo's in Creator saving the file as a test.mpg and I can't play it.

Okay, we're much closer now.

Are you using VideoWave to make your slide show? And if so, what settings are you using when you render the .MPG file? If you're not using VideoWave, give that a shot and see if it makes any difference.

If I knew how to post the screenshot, I'd show the output. Basically is shows nothing wrong with the file.

DVD "VOB" format

MPEG-2 Program Stream << { 1 vid, 1 aud }

Sys Bitrate: 9624 kb/s

Audio shows Codec(s) installed

Nothing shows in the proposed solutions and tests.

What next??

If I knew how to post the screenshot, I'd show the output. Basically is shows nothing wrong with the file.

DVD "VOB" format

MPEG-2 Program Stream << { 1 vid, 1 aud }

Sys Bitrate: 9624 kb/s

Audio shows Codec(s) installed

Nothing shows in the proposed solutions and tests.

What next??

Let's go back a bit further. What was your original source for the MPG file(s)? Something you captured with some video capture device? If so, what device? And what software did you use to capture it?

Or is this video something from an existing DVD? And how was that DVD made?

I had a similar issue when I needed to remaster a DVD for our church. The original DVD was written using Nero, and when I copied the files over to make a new menu, and tried to encode it, I got no sound. I wound up running the video through VideoReDo, which found some bad frames, and cleaned them up, and my next attempt with MyDVD went well, and the audio was fine.

So, give us some more background on the video your working with.

Archived