• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

General Comments And Questions

wallen

Question

I have used Creator 2009 now for about a week, and have successfully make one DVD, but have come away with several comments and questions that I'd like to present here for confirmation.

1. In MyDVD I find that the order in which movies are imported appears to be the order in which they are played on the final DVD. I can move them around among chapters and have them selected at different points in the menu structure, but when they are then played the order reverts to the order of entry to the program. Is there a way to reorder the play sequence after the movies are imported, or do you just have to plan carefully in advance?

2. I have entered most of the movies from DVDs that have been copied to the hard drive. After importing them, they are all listed with the default name of VIDEO_TS in the drop down preview menu. This makes selection in this way (and hopefully possible re-ordering) pretty difficult. Can these be renamed at all?

3. A couple of the videos I have used for the DVD were .MOV files from a digital camera (Panasonic FZ28). When these are played via the resulting DVD, they are quite jerky/jumpy with motion. Playing directly from the camera to the TV the videos are much smoother. Is there some problem with .MOV files, and should they be converted to something else before being imported?

4. In general the program can be very slow - loading the DVD project takes about 5 minutes, for instance, and during that time sometimes the cursor will show the "in process" indicator, but at other times it appears normal, but nothing can be selected. An "not responding" program indication may also appear. But after enough waiting, everything loads fine.

5. I can get the program to crash ("not responding" indefinitely) by importing and selecting specific videos from the source DVDs. I found that these videos had about 1 second of "nothing" (blank) at the very end, and by trimming this the videos then were usable by the program.

My PC is a AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 4600+ 2.4 GHz, with 2GB RAM and running Vista Home Premium. The graphics is NVidia GeForce 6150le. The PC usually works fine, but it does do some strange things at times, so it may be the cause of some of the problems I've noted.

Thanks in advance.

8 answers to this question

I have used Creator 2009 now for about a week, and have successfully make one DVD, but have come away with several comments and questions that I'd like to present here for confirmation.

1. In MyDVD I find that the order in which movies are imported appears to be the order in which they are played on the final DVD. I can move them around among chapters and have them selected at different points in the menu structure, but when they are then played the order reverts to the order of entry to the program. Is there a way to reorder the play sequence after the movies are imported, or do you just have to plan carefully in advance?

2. I have entered most of the movies from DVDs that have been copied to the hard drive. After importing them, they are all listed with the default name of VIDEO_TS in the drop down preview menu. This makes selection in this way (and hopefully possible re-ordering) pretty difficult. Can these be renamed at all?

3. A couple of the videos I have used for the DVD were .MOV files from a digital camera (Panasonic FZ28). When these are played via the resulting DVD, they are quite jerky/jumpy with motion. Playing directly from the camera to the TV the videos are much smoother. Is there some problem with .MOV files, and should they be converted to something else before being imported?

4. In general the program can be very slow - loading the DVD project takes about 5 minutes, for instance, and during that time sometimes the cursor will show the "in process" indicator, but at other times it appears normal, but nothing can be selected. An "not responding" program indication may also appear. But after enough waiting, everything loads fine.

5. I can get the program to crash ("not responding" indefinitely) by importing and selecting specific videos from the source DVDs. I found that these videos had about 1 second of "nothing" (blank) at the very end, and by trimming this the videos then were usable by the program.

My PC is a AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 4600+ 2.4 GHz, with 2GB RAM and running Vista Home Premium. The graphics is NVidia GeForce 6150le. The PC usually works fine, but it does do some strange things at times, so it may be the cause of some of the problems I've noted.

Thanks in advance.

Comments on some of your points:

1) It is best to plan carefully before hand on your menu layout and add the video in sequence. Trying to re-arrange afterwards often leads to confusion and problems.

2) Video_TS is the DVD standard. I don't understand what you are trying to do here.

3) When video from digital cameras is expanded for the DVD format it loses quality. I don't think you can expect anything else.

4)Quite often during this loading time, the program is ProxyFilemanager is running. Check to see if this is the case using Task Manager. It is extracting the audio from the video you are loading

Item 1 - I assume your are referring to the default order in which movies are played by the completed DVD. As you have discovered regardless of menus this follows the sequence that they were loaded in. However this is easily altered - Look for Movies in Project View, bottom left of MyDVD screen - here you will see the sequence listing of the movies and can move them up or down the list to get the default DVD playing sequence that you want.

Item 2 - I find it easier to first create sub-folders in my file directory structure for each movie/movie group of files, copy/import the files to these and then use the folders option in Roxio to find them. Otherwise as you say it is pretty difficult!

Item 4 - Large projects can sometimes take a fair time to load, rather depends on what else is going on.

Comments on some of your points:

1) It is best to plan carefully before hand on your menu layout and add the video in sequence. Trying to re-arrange afterwards often leads to confusion and problems.

2) Video_TS is the DVD standard. I don't understand what you are trying to do here.

3) When video from digital cameras is expanded for the DVD format it loses quality. I don't think you can expect anything else.

4)Quite often during this loading time, the program is ProxyFilemanager is running. Check to see if this is the case using Task Manager. It is extracting the audio from the video you are loading

Thanks all for your prompt replies - they are clearly helpful and appreciated.

1. I understand now that it's generally best to design and edit first, and then use MyDVD to assemble and burn the DVD.

2. Regarding my desire to have unique movie file names, see Dellboy's reply for reordering using Movies in the Project View (I'm simply missed this - my fault). When I look at the list of movies in this view, as well as the list of movies in the Preview drop down menu view, I can't tell which is which. I had used this list to select and edit each file by adding the place and date - I had to count from the top (and know the import order) to determine which file I was selecting. I would have had the same problem with trying to reorder.

3. I actually got this later Roxio version since it would accept .MOV files and my much earlier version wouldn't recognize the format, so I'm a little disappointed that the movies don't play well on the DVD. I think the camera records in 30 frames per second, progressive, while most video is interlaced and thus the program probably expects to see interlaced video. I suspect that the program converts to an interlaced format in a simplistic fashion, and effectively ends with a 15 Hz refresh rate. Since I would like to use the movies from the camera, and the jerky/jumpy image bothers me, I will look into other solutions.

4. I just started the MyDVD program and loaded my project - ProxyFilemanager wasn't running, and it took 4 1/2 minutes to load, and the program was reported as "not responding" five or six times during the loading process. It is of note that when the actual project visually appears in about 4 minutes, it then comes pretty quickly. As long as it works and I know what to expect, I can live with it. Maybe this is unique to the particular project and the movies selected . . .

Once again, thanks for your helpful responses.

Thanks all for your prompt replies - they are clearly helpful and appreciated.

1. I understand now that it's generally best to design and edit first, and then use MyDVD to assemble and burn the DVD.

2. Regarding my desire to have unique movie file names, see Dellboy's reply for reordering using Movies in the Project View (I'm simply missed this - my fault). When I look at the list of movies in this view, as well as the list of movies in the Preview drop down menu view, I can't tell which is which. I had used this list to select and edit each file by adding the place and date - I had to count from the top (and know the import order) to determine which file I was selecting. I would have had the same problem with trying to reorder.

3. I actually got this later Roxio version since it would accept .MOV files and my much earlier version wouldn't recognize the format, so I'm a little disappointed that the movies don't play well on the DVD. I think the camera records in 30 frames per second, progressive, while most video is interlaced and thus the program probably expects to see interlaced video. I suspect that the program converts to an interlaced format in a simplistic fashion, and effectively ends with a 15 Hz refresh rate. Since I would like to use the movies from the camera, and the jerky/jumpy image bothers me, I will look into other solutions.

4. I just started the MyDVD program and loaded my project - ProxyFilemanager wasn't running, and it took 4 1/2 minutes to load, and the program was reported as "not responding" five or six times during the loading process. It is of note that when the actual project visually appears in about 4 minutes, it then comes pretty quickly. As long as it works and I know what to expect, I can live with it. Maybe this is unique to the particular project and the movies selected . . .

Once again, thanks for your helpful responses.

The ProxyFilemanager should start every time you launch Videowave or myDVD, if its not there then there may be something wrong with your setup. How many movies are in your project and what is the total length in time of your project.

The ProxyFilemanager should start every time you launch Videowave or myDVD, if its not there then there may be something wrong with your setup. How many movies are in your project and what is the total length in time of your project.

According to the Applications tab in the Windows Task Manager, ProxyFilemanager wasn't previously running and didn't start while I loaded the project into MyDVD. There are 23 movies and total time is just over 1 hour 7 minutes.

According to the Applications tab in the Windows Task Manager, ProxyFilemanager wasn't previously running and didn't start while I loaded the project into MyDVD. There are 23 movies and total time is just over 1 hour 7 minutes.

ProxyFilemanager does not appear in the Applications Tab, its found under the Processes tab which show a lot of other processes running which could slow down your system. Adding that many movies will require lots of time especially if the video is not in the correct format for editing.

Edited by myguggi

ProxyFilemanager does not appear in the Applications Tab, its found under the Processes tab which show a lot of other processes running which could slow down your system. Adding that many movies will require lots of time especially if the video is not in the correct format for editing.

Just to close the loop, "VCGProxyFileManager11.exe" does indeed show up under the Processes tab. I loaded the project again and it took 2 min 50 sec and had 10 "not-responding" messages, each lasting from 1 to 20 seconds, with 5 seconds being typical. I'll just be patient.