Importing Itunes Library Into Media Manager 10

zoxxo

Question

I've always been curious about Media Manager in the EMC products, but I've never been able to get it to successfully import my iTunes Library. My Library consists of almost a 1000 albums. It resides on a Windows Home Server so that I can access it from several machines and Internet appliances in the house. All of my music is ripped to MPEG 4 Audio Format (.m4a).

I've always wanted to try to import the Library into Media Manger to see if I could manage it better than iTunes, and I want to try some of the features such as the playlist creator.

Now my dilemma, it appears that if I want to import my music, it will be a lot of work on my part. The "watch folders" option does not seem to work. I point it to the root of the library and nothing happens. I can bring the files into Media Manager individually (which means opening each folder and dragging it into Media Manager), but none of the Audio Tags and music information comes into Media Manager.

If I really wanted to make this work, I would have to bring each file in individually and then edit each file to update the audio tags. I don't look forward to doing this for over 12,000 songs.

Am I doing something wrong? Are there steps I'm missing? What would I gain by using Media Manager? If I edit and update the file tags, will this effect how iTunes views the files?

I've searched through the discussion groups looking for an answer, but can't seem to find anything. I've also looked through the help files and tutorials, but everything is so basic, that none of my questions are answered. Can anyone shed some light here?

Thanks!

Eric

5 answers to this question

First off,not many of us use Media Manager.It tends to be a resource hog when indexing.

Also I'm at a machine that has C2009 not EMC10.

Try this.

Open Media Manger.

Go to Tools,Select Monitored Folders.

Make sure Start Folder Monitoring is checked.

Go down and hit Add Folder.Pick the one(s) you want from the list.

Hit Ok.

On mine it came up with a box that starts the process.

One thing that could be causing a problem is the m4a files from iTunes could be protected files and Roxio won't work with them.Although most times the protected files from iTunes are m4p format.

Edited by tbrewst

tbrewst,

Thanks for the reply! I'm very sorry for my delayed response--been hung up on other projects.

I tried what you suggested and it did not work. I get the adding media folder, but nothing gets added. Question for you: did you try this on a local drive or a network drive? I'm betting that Roxio hasn't put the support in place for home servers or networked computers.

Also, all of my media is ripped from CD, so DRM is not a factor here. I was hoping to make this work, but I don't think it's in the cards...

Thanks for trying!

Eric

tbrewst,

Thanks for the reply! I'm very sorry for my delayed response--been hung up on other projects.

I tried what you suggested and it did not work. I get the adding media folder, but nothing gets added. Question for you: did you try this on a local drive or a network drive? I'm betting that Roxio hasn't put the support in place for home servers or networked computers.

Also, all of my media is ripped from CD, so DRM is not a factor here. I was hoping to make this work, but I don't think it's in the cards...

Thanks for trying!

Eric

The Roxio software is not designed for networks.

The Roxio software is not designed for networks.

Sadly this is something that should have been fixed long ago. With families adding more computers to the household, with companies adding cheap network storage solutions aimed at the household, and finally with music, pictures, and video chewing up more disk space, it makes more sense for companies like Roxio to add basic network support to their products. I can understand denying functionality to burn across a network, but to not add support for "managing" media across a basic home network is really blind foresight!

Eric

Sadly this is something that should have been fixed long ago. With families adding more computers to the household, with companies adding cheap network storage solutions aimed at the household, and finally with music, pictures, and video chewing up more disk space, it makes more sense for companies like Roxio to add basic network support to their products. I can understand denying functionality to burn across a network, but to not add support for "managing" media across a basic home network is really blind foresight!

Eric

Tell Roxio, then. I don't disagree, but I also don't want to pay $300 or $400 for a suite of programs that does it.