• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Emc 7 Multisession Problems

Foxed

Question

Hi folks, I've hunted high and low, across various sites and parts of the internet to try and find an answer to this problem.. no solution so far.

I have EMC7 which i have taken the update ad applied over the top - so I'm now at 7.1.1.189.

I've updated the PX and I've removed some filters that were preventing XP seeing the drive. I used the MS support tool to achieve this. Now Roxio and XP see the drive.

I can take a CD-RW drive and using XP [sP2] I can write several sessions to the drive. All seems fine.

If I move to Roxio 7, use create classic [as a data disk], I leave the "read only disk", on the burn phase, unchecked [ie there is no check mark against that] I would expect that I could write or add to a multisession disk. It fails to do so. The burn phase wants me to erase then burn the disk - which effectively wipes the disk and starts a new burn session.

My experience so far is that the disk then closes [not just the session] which prevents the disk being appended to.

I'm playng with a CD-RW to emulate the behavior of a CD-R .. which is what I really want to be able to use . So far i 've produced a lot of CD-R disks which are effectively coasters - small amount of data added, then EMC7 closes the disk and no more can be appended. under Win XP I can add data to a CD-R and the add more data to the CD-R thereby showing that multisession, under Windows is working just fine.

So what do I have to do to make Roxio EMC 7 behave the same way ?

I am Foxed ! :rolleyes:

9 answers to this question

Hi folks, I've hunted high and low, across various sites and parts of the internet to try and find an answer to this problem.. no solution so far.

I have EMC7 which i have taken the update ad applied over the top - so I'm now at 7.1.1.189.

I've updated the PX and I've removed some filters that were preventing XP seeing the drive. I used the MS support tool to achieve this. Now Roxio and XP see the drive.

I can take a CD-RW drive and using XP [sP2] I can write several sessions to the drive. All seems fine.

If I move to Roxio 7, use create classic [as a data disk], I leave the "read only disk", on the burn phase, unchecked [ie there is no check mark against that] I would expect that I could write or add to a multisession disk. It fails to do so. The burn phase wants me to erase then burn the disk - which effectively wipes the disk and starts a new burn session.

My experience so far is that the disk then closes [not just the session] which prevents the disk being appended to.

I'm playng with a CD-RW to emulate the behavior of a CD-R .. which is what I really want to be able to use . So far i 've produced a lot of CD-R disks which are effectively coasters - small amount of data added, then EMC7 closes the disk and no more can be appended. under Win XP I can add data to a CD-R and the add more data to the CD-R thereby showing that multisession, under Windows is working just fine.

So what do I have to do to make Roxio EMC 7 behave the same way ?

I am Foxed ! :rolleyes:

When you want to add data later you must first import the previous session and then add your new files.

When you want to add data later you must first import the previous session and then add your new files.

So what I'm not clear about then is how it works with the two different CD formats.

I can get CD-RW ; import the previous session add new data to the session; the "burn phase" will, what ?, erase the CD-RW and write all the tracks as a single new session.

On a CD-R I would imagine something similar would happen - expect you can't erase a CD-R, so, does it leave the previous tracks in place but change the directory listing, accummulate the new tracks to the old tracks and write all of them again ?

lets use an example; if I write files 1 and 2 first session, then try and add file 3. I import the first two files [1 +2] add the 3rd file so I appear to have files 1,2 and 3 to write again., then go to burn. On a CD-R does that effectively leave the first session [files 1 and 2] on the CD-R but "hides them" and then writes files 1,2 and 3 again on the CD-R ?. If that is the case isn't the net effect the capacity of the CD-R is reducing by the size of the previous sessions [+ overhead] for each time I append data ?

Is this right ?

I'm still Foxed :huh:

If this is the case, then why does it continue to as to erase then record if I am adding files onto a previously saved project?

You are poking your question into a thread that is months old and offer absolutely no background. Short answer:

Follow the instructions ogdens outlined and it will. If it doesn't, it is strictly user error.

So what I'm not clear about then is how it works with the two different CD formats.

I can get CD-RW ; import the previous session add new data to the session; the "burn phase" will, what ?, erase the CD-RW and write all the tracks as a single new session.

On a CD-R I would imagine something similar would happen - expect you can't erase a CD-R, so, does it leave the previous tracks in place but change the directory listing, accummulate the new tracks to the old tracks and write all of them again ?

lets use an example; if I write files 1 and 2 first session, then try and add file 3. I import the first two files [1 +2] add the 3rd file so I appear to have files 1,2 and 3 to write again., then go to burn. On a CD-R does that effectively leave the first session [files 1 and 2] on the CD-R but "hides them" and then writes files 1,2 and 3 again on the CD-R ?. If that is the case isn't the net effect the capacity of the CD-R is reducing by the size of the previous sessions [+ overhead] for each time I append data ?

Is this right ?

I'm still Foxed :huh:

When you add the 3rd file in your example,what this does is bring forward the TOC (Table of Contents) so you can still access those files. It is NOT like a "save as" of a document which duplicates the document; it merely keeps the address so you can find the document, you have full access to the previous session file contents just as if all the files on the cd were physically stored all in the most recently written session.

Burn your first session

When you are ready to add to the disc:

"import previous session"

. now drag the files to be added to the bottom window

. burn

The 2nd session will now contain pointers to the files in the first session, plus the files you added. When you look at the disc in Windows Explorer, it will all look as if it is one disc, 1 session, with all the files shown.

When you are ready to add more files, follow the same procedure. The pointers to all previous files burned to the cd will be stored in the 3rd session, plus the actual files you add at that time. You can keep doing this until the media is full.

This happens when you use CD-R's or RW's.

I read Ogden's instructions, but I don't see where in Roxio I do each step. For instance, where is import previous session? How does that turn off the request to erase and burn? I can open up a previously saved "project" and add to that "project" when I add more files to the DVD.

Burn your first session

When you are ready to add to the disc:

"import previous session"

. now drag the files to be added to the bottom window

. burn

The 2nd session will now contain pointers to the files in the first session, plus the files you added. When you look at the disc in Windows Explorer, it will all look as if it is one disc, 1 session, with all the files shown.

When you are ready to add more files, follow the same procedure. The pointers to all previous files burned to the cd will be stored in the 3rd session, plus the actual files you add at that time. You can keep doing this until the media is full.

Creator Classic…

Open it and click on Help – Contents – Data Projects

Try it with some RW media to experiment with.

As Lynn points out, it you make any attempt to start by opening a previous session, you are telling the software this is NEW!

In that case the software will need a NEW disc. – makes sense :mellow:

Archived