• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
tarsus

No Trial?

Question

I'm getting a digital camcorder and looking for software to edit video and burn DVDs. I've been trying out the trial version of Nero 9 and am fairly impressed, but some reviews I've seen suggest that Creator 2009 might be better, particularly in the media features. But I come to Roxio's site and find that no trial period is available! I'm just not going to spend $100 on software when I've actually had my hands on another application that fills my need. It sounds likely that I would have chosen Creator over Nero, but here's at least one customer Roxio has lost because they will not allow users to try before they buy.

13 answers to this question

I'm getting a digital camcorder and looking for software to edit video and burn DVDs. I've been trying out the trial version of Nero 9 and am fairly impressed, but some reviews I've seen suggest that Creator 2009 might be better, particularly in the media features. But I come to Roxio's site and find that no trial period is available! I'm just not going to spend $100 on software when I've actually had my hands on another application that fills my need. It sounds likely that I would have chosen Creator over Nero, but here's at least one customer Roxio has lost because they will not allow users to try before they buy.

30 day return policy if you buy from Roxio.

Any software bought on the Roxio site has a 30 day return it money back policy. Call Customer service for the details.

cd

Looking at you other posts, you never bought any Roxio software.

Roxio does have a free 30 day trial. That would be the same as Nero. :blink::blink:

Looking at you other posts, you never bought any Roxio software.

Roxio does have a free 30 day trial. That would be the same as Nero. :blink::blink:

What in my post states that I had bought any Roxio software? I thought I quite clearly said I have not. So I'm not sure what you mean.

No, a 30-day money back guarantee is not a free 30 day trial.

No, a 30-day money back guarantee is not a free 30 day trial.

Whatever! It's your choice. :)

We're all customers, and none of us work for Roxio.

:( thats a bit sad in a way. I have tried so many ways to make contact with Roxio to ask couple of pre-sales questions.

I too would prefer a free trial period to a 30 day money back warranty, and very likely would have made my purchase by now if that were possible. Basically, at the moment, I don't know whether I would be buying a 'pig in a poke' or a gem, and am a bit reluctant to commit expediture on my CC account on that basis

As it is, I am still searching for a copy of the licence agreement (which I would prefer to read before making payment so I can download the installer where I need to agree to it ...seems a bit late then.

Perhaps someone know where there is an online copy, or pdf download?

david

:( thats a bit sad in a way. I have tried so many ways to make contact with Roxio to ask couple of pre-sales questions.

I too would prefer a free trial period to a 30 day money back warranty, and very likely would have made my purchase by now if that were possible. Basically, at the moment, I don't know whether I would be buying a 'pig in a poke' or a gem, and am a bit reluctant to commit expediture on my CC account on that basis

As it is, I am still searching for a copy of the licence agreement (which I would prefer to read before making payment so I can download the installer where I need to agree to it ...seems a bit late then.

david

Well you can always post a question in this forum if you have a pre-purchase question. :rolleyes:

What do you wish to know about the license you get when you buy? Basically, I believe you are to install and use the program on 1 machine.

david

They have a 30 day full refund policy if you buy it from their online store.

Don't know of any copies of the EULA other than the one when you install it.

If you have pre-sales questions you want to ask Roxio/Sonic, they have contact information for that (including phone) on their Customer Service page. Or ask your questions here of the users, as has been suggested.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the offer of help from users here. But I want to have contact with the people I am entering into a contract with (that is why I suggested it was sad that on roxio forums, there are no support people monitoring who could at least steer me to what I need to know). I have tried the contact page with no success in the past...it is why I resorted to registering so I could come here and post.

....and I really do want to read the licence before I actually have to buy the licence. It does not seem an unreasonable wish.

david

Could be worse - buy a shrink wrapped copy of a MS app and you are deemed to have read and accepted the EULA simply by opening the shrink wrap (despite the fact the EULA is inside that) ;)

Could be worse

:) well no, but it is the same.

I would be asking the same question if I was considering buying a MS apps...where is the licence agreement. Since buyers do not buy software, but a licence to use software, I want to see what I am buying.

I find it a bit incredible that any software development company would consider the fact that you cannot try the software, or even read the licence, unless you take money out of your pocket and put it into theirs, the best way to sell their product.

Ah well, maybe they will change their mind in the future...until then no sale to me. :(

david

<edit> oh, and it might be wishful thinking, but I think if I asked someone at MS, they could point me to copy of a licence agreement....in fact any user here with a licence could also just save it as pdf and provide a link for me...it is not a secret document after all ...I don't think.

Edited by david01

:) well no, but it is the same.

I would be asking the same question if I was considering buying a MS apps...where is the licence agreement. Since buyers do not buy software, but a licence to use software, I want to see what I am buying.

I find it a bit incredible that any software development company would consider the fact that you cannot try the software, or even read the licence, unless you take money out of your pocket and put it into theirs, the best way to sell their product.

Ah well, maybe they will change their mind in the future...until then no sale to me. :(

david

<edit> oh, and it might be wishful thinking, but I think if I asked someone at MS, they could point me to copy of a licence agreement....in fact any user here with a licence could also just save it as pdf and provide a link for me...it is not a secret document after all ...I don't think.

Then we have beaten this long enough…

Then we have beaten this long enough…

yes, I guess so. Even one extra post was superfluous really (unless it could help with my dilemma).

:( too bad really...now to try and get them to stop sending me marketing emails.

david