• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Kb888656 Causes Playback To Choke

Steve Hartwell

Question

I installed the KB888656 hotfix as prompted during installation of Creator 9

Ever since, playback of anything by any program chokes, stutters, editing is impossible too.

I have nVidia Quadro FX 570 video card.

I have to shut down the computer using the power button to get out of it.

Uninstalling Creator 9 did not help.

Disabling Video Accellerator does not help.

I've tried to to uninstall KB888656 but no KB hotfixes show up in Add or Remove Programs.

Please help, or I'll have to reformat my hard drive and start over.

steve

6 answers to this question

There is a lot more to that MS hotfix than would meet the eye

from their website:

This update enables Microsoft DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) of Microsoft Windows Media Video (WMV) content in Microsoft Windows Media Player 10 for video cards when the drivers of those video cards are designed to take advantage of this feature.

A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next release that contains this hotfix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services telephone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support (http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support)

Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.

Prerequisites

You must have the update that is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) article 891122 installed to apply this hotfix. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

891122 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891122/EN-US/ ) An update for Windows Media Digital Rights Management-enabled players is available

Hotfix download information

The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

Download the WindowsMedia10-KB888656-x86-Global-ENU.exe package now. (http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/9/6/f969ae58-75d4-4241-b58c-9a295372d8c0/windowsmedia10-kb888656-x86-global-enu.exe)

another weird thing about KB888656 is - when i googled to find others who experienced a similar problem, the forum posts were from 2005, AND, i never did find out why KB hotfix installations are not showing up in my Control Panel Add or Remove list.

HOWEVER,

I have just now discovered KB888656 has NOT been my problem.

Something about my captured 1 hour avi is the problem that has affected the entire hard drive it is on. None of the other media files will playback properly from that same hard drive.

BUT

When I put the other media files on to my other hard drive, they playback just fine. So, I am backing up the files I want to save from that problem hard drive and reformatting it.

The 1 hour avi I captured with my new Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro card, is the longest test I've done so far. I can only assume I cannot capture long videos without the aid of a RAID Controller, which I've read other people say they use with these capture cards.

Oh well,

I appreciate your attempt to help.

sh.

I installed the KB888656 hotfix as prompted during installation of Creator 9

Ever since, playback of anything by any program chokes, stutters, editing is impossible too.

I have nVidia Quadro FX 570 video card.

I have to shut down the computer using the power button to get out of it.

Uninstalling Creator 9 did not help.

Disabling Video Accellerator does not help.

I've tried to to uninstall KB888656 but no KB hotfixes show up in Add or Remove Programs.

Please help, or I'll have to reformat my hard drive and start over.

steve

You have not given any information on what your problem is or why you would apply the hotfix. We don't even know what Roxio suite you are using since there is no such package as Creator 9. There is Roxio Creator 2009 and there is Easy Media Creator 9. Which one do you have.

Also what are your system specs?

creator 2009

asus p5b-vm se

intel 4 dual core 2.2

2G memory

XP Pro SP3

nVidia Quadro FX 570 video card

a 1hour avi i was trying to check for audio sync by playingback in adobe premiere elements 7 and in nero 9 played back fine one day,

then would not playback the next day.

however, it would still playback fine in windows media player.

when i installed creator 2009, i was prompted by creator 2009 to install the KB888656 video accellerator.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888656

after installing that the avi would not playback in windows media player either.

Archived