• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burning Additional Summary Data To Disk?

CameronKeen

Question

We're running a sorry old version of Creator that came with our Dell. What I'd like to do is burn files to disk that will retain the additional info I've added to them in the summary tab of the original file (Title, Subject, etc).

Does anyone know of any Roxio products that will do this? I haven't really seen this addressed in any of the online info or the forums.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

4 answers to this question

We're running a sorry old version of Creator that came with our Dell. What I'd like to do is burn files to disk that will retain the additional info I've added to them in the summary tab of the original file (Title, Subject, etc).

Does anyone know of any Roxio products that will do this? I haven't really seen this addressed in any of the online info or the forums.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

That summary info is part of the file and will be burned to a disc - any burning product will do this as long as you are burning the files as data. Even XP and Vista will do it. So should your "sorry old version of Creator"

Thanks for your speedy response....

Is there something I need to do at the burning stage then? Because I'm finding this not to be the case. Title and subject columns in detail view on the disk are empty, and the summary information tab on the burned disk doesn't appear at all.

A little background -- we create mpeg files of TV commercials that we produce and transfer the numbered files to a playback system (with the Title and Subject info so our Master Control people know who the advertiser is). I then take copies of those files and burn them to data DVDs for archive purposes. Ideally, it would be nice to have the Advertiser (subject) and Title of the spot (title) rather than just the Playback Number of the spot. Right now, all I see on those disks is the Playback Number, which makes it hard to know which commercial is which...

I appreciate your sage advice and find it frustrating that I can't figure out something that should be so simple.....

I am sorry but it seems I may have jumped to an incorrect conclusion based on a simple test. I just did a more extensive tes and found out that the summary information does not always get copied to the disc. For some files it seems to work and for others it doesn't. It is not even consistent for jpeg files. For mpeg files the "summary" seems to disappear completely.

I guess using the summary information is useless in this situation. I don't know of any "simple" way to do what you want

It isn't the Burn Program but rather Windows…

You notice the fields are not filled in when the Optical media is selected in Explorer. Also if you open the Properties of the file the info is there but not accessible:

post-39730-1233074717.jpg

However, if you copy the same file back to magnetic media everything shows…

post-39730-1233074729.jpg

You will have to contact MS for that one :o

Thanks for your speedy response....

Is there something I need to do at the burning stage then? Because I'm finding this not to be the case. Title and subject columns in detail view on the disk are empty, and the summary information tab on the burned disk doesn't appear at all.

A little background -- we create mpeg files of TV commercials that we produce and transfer the numbered files to a playback system (with the Title and Subject info so our Master Control people know who the advertiser is). I then take copies of those files and burn them to data DVDs for archive purposes. Ideally, it would be nice to have the Advertiser (subject) and Title of the spot (title) rather than just the Playback Number of the spot. Right now, all I see on those disks is the Playback Number, which makes it hard to know which commercial is which...

I appreciate your sage advice and find it frustrating that I can't figure out something that should be so simple.....

Archived