• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

No Audio On Avi Dvd's - Ac3 Codec?

Pianoman1976

Question

Hello,

I've got no audio on DVD's I've made with avi files. Do I need the AC3 Codec? I found one that has a 2005 date on it, is there a newer one?

More importantly is the file location - where do I put the codec in OS X?

Also, should I put the codec in my QT file as well as QT occasionally does not play sound too? Where exactly does it go?

Thanks.

8 answers to this question

Toast uses QuickTime whenever it doesn't have its own built-in codecs.

So the source of the problem I was having with Toast was not in the encoding of the DVD rather on QT's ability to read (play audio) on avi files?

Well then, I'm good to go. Thank you very much.

Nice car by the way.

So the source of the problem I was having with Toast was not in the encoding of the DVD rather on QT's ability to read (play audio) on avi files?

Well then, I'm good to go. Thank you very much.

Nice car by the way.

The problem is that Toast did not decode the source .ac3 audio when encoding the MPEG file for the DVD. So the DVD has no audio track. Toast has an .ac3 decoder built in but it only applies to MPEG 2 video sources and not to MPEG 4 used in AVIs. Toast expects the AVI to have .mp3 audio tracks. Perian provides the needed codec for Toast to read the .ac3 audio file.

It would be nice if Toast had an option to merely multiplex the existing .ac3 audio track rather than having to decode and re=encode a new .ac3 audio track. It can do this with MPEG 2 sources but not with other video sources. Toast always re-encodes both video and audio when creating a video DVD from a source that isn't already video DVD compliant.

Thanks for the compliment about the Austin-Healey. I've enjoyed it since 1972.

Hello,

I too am having the missing audio issue. I looked through the tread replys and installed the Perian codec (I had the .avi file analyzed and it was a AC3 codec for audio). It seems to install it under the system preferences under other in OS x. I can now play the .avi file in Quick Time (QT?...I see an abbreviation used, I presume it's Quick Time) and have audio, where as prior to the Perian codec installation I couldn't.

However,still when I create a DVD in Toast 9 it has no audio. What am I doing wrong. I've tried customizing the encoding and even gone as far as to change the audio to PCM in stead of dolby digital.....I'm now cutting my 4th DVD and I'm ready to give up......

Please help.

Alex

Hello,

I too am having the missing audio issue. I looked through the tread replys and installed the Perian codec (I had the .avi file analyzed and it was a AC3 codec for audio). It seems to install it under the system preferences under other in OS x. I can now play the .avi file in Quick Time (QT?...I see an abbreviation used, I presume it's Quick Time) and have audio, where as prior to the Perian codec installation I couldn't.

However,still when I create a DVD in Toast 9 it has no audio. What am I doing wrong. I've tried customizing the encoding and even gone as far as to change the audio to PCM in stead of dolby digital.....I'm now cutting my 4th DVD and I'm ready to give up......

Please help.

Alex

Perian goes into the Root>Library>QuickTime folder. Be sure to quit and relaunch Toast after installing Perian. Choose Save as Disc Image rather than clicking the burn button. That way you can mount the disc image for testing the play back with DVD Player and not waste any discs. One of many ways to mount the .toast disc image is to select it with the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window. If all is okay, use that setting to burn the disc image to DVD.

Perian is needed when AVI's have AC3 audio. So it should be working for you.

Perian goes into the Root>Library>QuickTime folder. Be sure to quit and relaunch Toast after installing Perian. Choose Save as Disc Image rather than clicking the burn button. That way you can mount the disc image for testing the play back with DVD Player and not waste any discs. One of many ways to mount the .toast disc image is to select it with the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window. If all is okay, use that setting to burn the disc image to DVD.

Perian is needed when AVI's have AC3 audio. So it should be working for you.

It worked. Thank you very much!

Archived