• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Removing Audio Track From Project

outerbank

Question

Okay! How does one remove an audio track from a slideshow project? The audio track that was added did not quite suit the images in the slideshow. A new audio track was created in which two selections were moved and another music selection added to slightly extend the length of the slideshow for improved viewing. I've looked within the software program and I've searched a fair amount of the discussion forum looking for a similar question. Did not find one. I guess I was fortunate with the first slideshow created, because the music track was perfect in both types of music and length.

Here's what I get when attempting to replace the existing audio track. Click on Add Audio. Window opens with the following:

Add on music track.

Add on Sound Effect track.

Add on Internal music track of the selected panel.

I clicked on the first choice, "Add on music track"

Received the following message> "Audio cannot be added at this point"

Edited by outerbank

14 answers to this question

Okay! How does one remove an audio track from a slideshow project? The audio track that was added did not quite suit the images in the slideshow. A new audio track was created in which two selections were moved and another music selection added to slightly extend the length of the slideshow for improved viewing. I've looked within the software program and I've searched a fair amount of the discussion forum looking for a similar question. Did not find one. I guess I was fortunate with the first slideshow created, because the music track was perfect in both types of music and length.

Here's what I get when attempting to replace the existing audio track. Click on Add Audio. Window opens with the following:

Add on music track.

Add on Sound Effect track.

Add on Internal music track of the selected panel.

I clicked on the first choice, "Add on music track"

Received the following message> "Audio cannot be added at this point"

If the timeline cursor is anywhere over an audio clip on the track to which you want to add the audio, you will get that message for the "add" option.

To remove an audio clip, select the clip and then click the red X.

You can of course add audio to any of the 3 available audio tricks. In fact that is an excellent way of fading out one song and fading in the next song by overlapping the audio on different tracks.

I'm not sure I have accurately described what I would like to do. I created an audio track for the entire slideshow production. The audio track consists of 12 pieces of music that I have already blended into one single track. I created a playlist in Win Media Player and used the fade and crossover in Win Media Player for smooth transitions from one track to another. These blended songs were then recorded by the Roxio Sound Editor and saved to a WAV audio file. I then added the WAV audio file to my slideshow project and matched the slideshow project to the duration of the audio track. I thought the audio track was OK. My wife was not that enthused by it. So now I created another audio track and would like to replace the current audio track that plays when starting the slideshow with the newly created audio track. I hope I can do this without starting over.

By the way, I found that creating a smooth transition between music tracks was easier for me using Win Media Player and its fad and crosover feature, than trying to learn how to edit in the Sound Editor.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

I finally discovered how to remove an audio track (clip) from the slideshow. I guess one needs to become familiar with the semantics of the software. It took awhile to figure out what "Production Editor background" is, but once that was figured out the rest was easy. Thanks anyway for the help.

I'm not sure I have accurately described what I would like to do. I created an audio track for the entire slideshow production. The audio track consists of 12 pieces of music that I have already blended into one single track. I created a playlist in Win Media Player and used the fade and crossover in Win Media Player for smooth transitions from one track to another. These blended songs were then recorded by the Roxio Sound Editor and saved to a WAV audio file. I then added the WAV audio file to my slideshow project and matched the slideshow project to the duration of the audio track. I thought the audio track was OK. My wife was not that enthused by it. So now I created another audio track and would like to replace the current audio track that plays when starting the slideshow with the newly created audio track. I hope I can do this without starting over.

By the way, I found that creating a smooth transition between music tracks was easier for me using Win Media Player and its fad and crosover feature, than trying to learn how to edit in the Sound Editor.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Fade in/out, crossovers can all easily be done in Videowave, no need to use any SOund Editor. No need to combine the audio clips into one audio file (making it difficult to remove/replace an audio clip unless you get it right the first time). Just put successive audio clips on different audio tracks (doesn't matter which one, they are all equal even though they are called music, effects and narration).

I finally discovered how to remove an audio track (clip) from the slideshow. I guess one needs to become familiar with the semantics of the software. It took awhile to figure out what "Production Editor background" is, but once that was figured out the rest was easy. Thanks anyway for the help.

So how are you removing the audio clip? What do you mean by "production editor background"?

The "Production Editor" is near the bottom of the screen. It consists of the following:

Production Editor: Storyline-Production Length: 00:00.

Under this are two tabs: Storyline and Timeline.

Under these two headings is where all the images appear across the screen. The blank area, what would be essentially behind the images, is the "Production Editor" background. A right click on this blank area causes a window to open with a couple of choices. Choose "Remove > Background Audio". Be sure to right click between the very first panel (image) and the left edge of this background area if you wish to remove the entire audio track. This is an area of about 1/16th inch in width. If you right click at any point beyond the very left edge of the first panel, you may not remove all of the audio. Of course it depends on how soon the audio track starts after clicking on the Play button. Mine started within two seconds of clicking on Play. I right clicked above the first image and about a 1/2" to the right of this left edge. I then played my slideshow. The very first portion of the audio was still there. The rest was gone. After right clicking in the space between the left edge of the first image and the very edge of the Production background, the rest of the audio track was removed.

I did discover afterwards that the Help system does contain information about this feature. This can be brought up in Sound Editor. Just have to keep clicking on the highlighted text info until you come to it. The heading is "Production Editor", followed by "Removing an audio clip from the entire production"

The info about doing the audio work in Videowave sounds interesting. If I understand what you are describing, it's possible to add any number of distinct audio tracks to a production. For example, my single audio track consists of 14 different music pieces. I previously timed each one to coincide with a particular group of slideshow images. So within Videowave I could start and stop a piece of music at a particular image, and it would be possible to apply a crossfade so if the music had to be shortened the music does not stop abruptly, but rather the sound can be faded out, and the subsequent music piece gradually brought up in sound. Is this correct? If so, can you point me to a particular document within the Help feature that I can read and learn?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

The info about doing the audio work in Videowave sounds interesting. If I understand what you are describing, it's possible to add any number of distinct audio tracks to a production. For example, my single audio track consists of 14 different music pieces. I previously timed each one to coincide with a particular group of slideshow images. So within Videowave I could start and stop a piece of music at a particular image, and it would be possible to apply a crossfade so if the music had to be shortened the music does not stop abruptly, but rather the sound can be faded out, and the subsequent music piece gradually brought up in sound. Is this correct? If so, can you point me to a particular document within the Help feature that I can read and learn?

There are a multitude of posts, in these forums, offering different ways of doing things with the software. There is no document. It is try it, and learn, like everyone else.

I actually do what you did. I splice all of my music pieces together, in Sound Editor, but Walt is right. You need to hit it right, the first time.

What you need to do is play around with the software. You will discover a lot.

In Videowave, click on a audio track that contains some audio and the Audio Editor should open, then select Help for some information on various features. Experimenting with different aspects of Videowave is the best way to learn. Trying to do a major project right from the start usually leads to frustration and disaster and disappointment with the program.

Your 14 different music selections could be added to any of the 3 available audio tracks and by overlapping the tracks and fading one out while fading another one in. By using the Audio Envelope you could turn down the volume for a section of the audio and then increase it again.

The "Production Editor" is near the bottom of the screen. It consists of the following:

Production Editor: Storyline-Production Length: 00:00.

Under this are two tabs: Storyline and Timeline.

Under these two headings is where all the images appear across the screen. The blank area, what would be essentially behind the images, is the "Production Editor" background. A right click on this blank area causes a window to open with a couple of choices. Choose "Remove > Background Audio". Be sure to right click between the very first panel (image) and the left edge of this background area if you wish to remove the entire audio track. This is an area of about 1/16th inch in width. If you right click at any point beyond the very left edge of the first panel, you may not remove all of the audio. Of course it depends on how soon the audio track starts after clicking on the Play button. Mine started within two seconds of clicking on Play. I right clicked above the first image and about a 1/2" to the right of this left edge. I then played my slideshow. The very first portion of the audio was still there. The rest was gone. After right clicking in the space between the left edge of the first image and the very edge of the Production background, the rest of the audio track was removed.

I did discover afterwards that the Help system does contain information about this feature. This can be brought up in Sound Editor. Just have to keep clicking on the highlighted text info until you come to it. The heading is "Production Editor", followed by "Removing an audio clip from the entire production"

I don't quite follow how you are removing the audio tracks. I just switch to the timeline, select the audio segment and hit the red X and the audio is gone. Nothing about 1/16 or 1/2 inch.

I've been working in Story Line and not Time Line. In any event, I'm describing the white or blank space to the right, left, above and below the images that run across the screen. This white or blank space (think behind the images if they were physical images or slides lined up and lying on a flat surface) is referred to as the Production Editor "background". Right click within this area and a window opens up. In the window is Remove> Background Audio. Click on it and the audio track is removed. Hope this explains it more clearly.

Oh. Thanks for the explanation about the three audio tracks and how to use them. I'll play with this to learn how it works.

I've been working in Story Line and not Time Line. In any event, I'm describing the white or blank space to the right, left, above and below the images that run across the screen. This white or blank space (think behind the images if they were physical images or slides lined up and lying on a flat surface) is referred to as the Production Editor "background". Right click within this area and a window opens up. In the window is Remove> Background Audio. Click on it and the audio track is removed. Hope this explains it more clearly.

Oh. Thanks for the explanation about the three audio tracks and how to use them. I'll play with this to learn how it works.

I never used that way of removing the audio tracks before, learned something new today. Its actually a good way of removing audio clips from any of the users audio tracks since you can remove them without any of the audio tracks visible. Its also a quick way to see if you have any audio on any track anywhere in your project.

Thanks, took me awhile to catch on :rolleyes:

Your welcome for the audio track removal tip.

Now I would like to tap your knowledge once more. For some reason with the creation of my second slideshow, a number of the transitions between slide images are jerky when played in both videowave and mydvd. I believe it occurs when the images are not numerically sequential. Had to drag some images out of order to improve the storyline, and also delete some. With the first slideshow, even though I had a number of images out of sequence and therefore the transitions were jerky when playing the slideshow in videowave, the transitions for the most part disappeared when played in mydvd. With this second slideshow, the transitions are smoother when the slideshow is played in videowave, and worse in mydvd, just the opposite of my experience with the first slideshow.

One more question. The slide images are quite clear after they are dragged from Media Center to the videowave production and remain so throughout gathering all the images for the production. It seems that as you add the other elements to the production the images become more distorted, such as after adding the transition, motion and finally audio. It does not seem to affect the image that appears on the viewing screen, nor in the final result. Even if one or all of the added elements are removed (I thought this mightclear the images), the images remain distorted. Any explanation?

Your welcome for the audio track removal tip.

Now I would like to tap your knowledge once more. For some reason with the creation of my second slideshow, a number of the transitions between slide images are jerky when played in both videowave and mydvd. I believe it occurs when the images are not numerically sequential. Had to drag some images out of order to improve the storyline, and also delete some. With the first slideshow, even though I had a number of images out of sequence and therefore the transitions were jerky when playing the slideshow in videowave, the transitions for the most part disappeared when played in mydvd. With this second slideshow, the transitions are smoother when the slideshow is played in videowave, and worse in mydvd, just the opposite of my experience with the first slideshow.

One more question. The slide images are quite clear after they are dragged from Media Center to the videowave production and remain so throughout gathering all the images for the production. It seems that as you add the other elements to the production the images become more distorted, such as after adding the transition, motion and finally audio. It does not seem to affect the image that appears on the viewing screen, nor in the final result. Even if one or all of the added elements are removed (I thought this mightclear the images), the images remain distorted. Any explanation?

Playing a slideshow in preview (VW or myDVD) does not mean very much in relation to the final result. The preview are usually somewhat "jerky" on my system but not so on the DVD. Remember during preview the video has to be encoded and displayed at the same time and I am sure not every fram gets rendered or displayed resulting in the jerkiness. At least thats how I interpret it. With more powerful systems this jerkiness is propably less.

The order of slides has no effect on jerkiness. What do you mean by numerically sequential. Most of my slides are not number based.

Some transition problems occur if the duration times of the transition are too long in relation to the duration of the slides on either side. Also if your video card is not able to do hardware rendering , some transitions will not work at all and may be ignored.

As to your 2nd question, I don't understand what you are talking about there since I see no distortion. Where do you see the distorion if you don't see it on the viewing screen or the final result?

I see the distortion where the images are lined up across the bottom of the screen in Story Line, not Timeline. This is the same Production Editor line with the background. The pictures in the preview screen are okay-no distortion. Just to see what would happen, I dragged the same image, but new, from the Media center or Creator and replaced the distorted one with the "new" one. The new image was not distorted. Moreover, it remained undistorted after adding motion and transition. The distortion seems to occur after editing transitions and motion several times. I couldn't make up my mind as to which effect to use.

I see the distortion where the images are lined up across the bottom of the screen in Story Line, not Timeline. This is the same Production Editor line with the background. The pictures in the preview screen are okay-no distortion. Just to see what would happen, I dragged the same image, but new, from the Media center or Creator and replaced the distorted one with the "new" one. The new image was not distorted. Moreover, it remained undistorted after adding motion and transition. The distortion seems to occur after editing transitions and motion several times. I couldn't make up my mind as to which effect to use.

In VideoWave, go to Tools/Options, and click on the button to clear you Proxy files. See if that makes a difference.