Unable To Create Blu-ray Disc

EKoso

Question

I would appreciate if someone could help me create a blu-ray disc with Mydvd (Roxi 2009 with HD pack). I have tried both creating a disc or a folder set, and neither option gets beyond 0% when I select "MPEG-2", after at least a few hours. When I select "AVC" the project takes forever to encode (20+ hours - I never let it finish, since I feel something is probably wrong). I figured I needed to use "MPEG-2" instead of "AVC" since my source files are MPEG-2.

My computer is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5600+, 3 GB RAM, Vista Premium, a 4850 ATI graphics card, and a 400GB and 500gb drive.

Any help would be appreciated. I've had great success making SD DVD's over the last few years, using MyDVD in its various versions. This is the first problem I've encountered. Thank you.

13 answers to this question

The setting is preset only:

HQ 1920x1080 progressive, 28Mbps

SP 1920x1080 interlaced, 25Mbps

LP 1440X1080 interlaced, 20Mbps

EP 1280X720 progressive, 15Mbps

With AVC, resolutions are the same, but the bitrate isn't given.

Thank you.

I've been informed that Videowave/MyDVD should now smart render AVCHD files with the SP3 patch. So apply the patch and try your project again. I'm going to try a Bluray project to folder with a short Canon HV20 file and see if it smart renders those.

Thanks. I also have an HV20.

Let us know! I hope you have an RE disc, very handy to erase and reuse while learning…

Now keep in mind that whether you burn to Folder or to File (iso) you will have to use Video Copy and Convert to do the actual burning to disc. If you just use Classic or something to put the folders on the disc, it won't work!

Blu-ray Movies like DVD Movies must be Authored! You cannot simply throw files at disc and hope they will stick… :lol:

The SP3 is really new, it's not like you were sleeping at the mouse - I just downloaded/applied mine this morning! (but I figured if I dangled it in front of you, it would make me look brilliant :huh: )

I didn't change anything, but now it's working. Maybe SP3 needed a couple reboot cycles. Thanks to everyone for the help.

You are throwing around a lot of incompatible terms???

Do you have a Blu-ray Burner?

Do you want to burn to a BD disc?

Do you have the Creator 2009 Ultimate Edition or the Blu-ray plug in package?

Have you applied SP3 for 2009?

Then you go into MyDVD and start by selecting File – New Project – Blu-ray or Blu-ray – No Menus.

Great.... so how long did it take to process the same project after applying the SP3 patch? Just curious.

--

Just so you know, MyDVD did indeed smart render my Canon HV20 files when I set the project to MPEG 2 LP mode.

Maybe just over an hour, but under 2 hours for sure. Total movie was 1 hour 53 minutes. Thanks for the help.

Are your original mpg2 files HD?

Encoding to AVCHD is a very long process even with a very fast computer. Did you get any indication how much had been encoded after the 20 hours? How long (time) was the file you were encoding? Remember that an AVCHD disc will hold less than ???(time) --- I've seen various numbers from less than an hour down to 40 minutes or less..

Are your original mpg2 files HD?

Encoding to AVCHD is a very long process even with a very fast computer. Did you get any indication how much had been encoded after the 20 hours? How long (time) was the file you were encoding? Remember that an AVCHD disc will hold less than ???(time) --- I've seen various numbers from less than an hour down to 40 minutes or less..

The original files are 1920x1080. After about 20 hours of encoding to AVCHD, the meter was at 60%. Approximately just under 2 hours, including slideshows (HQ quality shows 14 minutes more space available for project).

I am trying to make a blu-ray 25gb disc with mpeg-2 files.

You are throwing around a lot of incompatible terms???

Do you have a Blu-ray Burner?

Do you want to burn to a BD disc?

Do you have the Creator 2009 Ultimate Edition or the Blu-ray plug in package?

Have you applied SP3 for 2009?

Then you go into MyDVD and start by selecting File – New Project – Blu-ray or Blu-ray – No Menus.

My blu-ray burner is GGW-H20L.

I am trying to burn to a blu-ray disc on the burner and have alternatively tryed to make a folder set on the hard drive.

I have the blu-ray plug-in package on Roxio 2009 (not ultimate).

Didn't know there was a SP3 (I will find and install that). I only have SP2 installed for Roxio 2009.

New project - Blu-ray.

Thanks.

Let us know! I hope you have an RE disc, very handy to erase and reuse while learning…

Now keep in mind that whether you burn to Folder or to File (iso) you will have to use Video Copy and Convert to do the actual burning to disc. If you just use Classic or something to put the folders on the disc, it won't work!

Blu-ray Movies like DVD Movies must be Authored! You cannot simply throw files at disc and hope they will stick… :lol:

The SP3 is really new, it's not like you were sleeping at the mouse - I just downloaded/applied mine this morning! (but I figured if I dangled it in front of you, it would make me look brilliant :huh: )

The original files are 1920x1080. After about 20 hours of encoding to AVCHD, the meter was at 60%. Approximately just under 2 hours, including slideshows (HQ quality shows 14 minutes more space available for project).

I am trying to make a blu-ray 25gb disc with mpeg-2 files.

Unfortunately, I don't think that MyDVD supports 'smart' render of hidef files yet, but you could try.

Open MyDVD

Select Blueray with menu project

When the screen is ready to edit, go to FILE / PROJECT SETTINGS.

MyDVD seems to default to AVC on my machine.

UNCHECK 'Fit to disc' and then change the video format to MPEG 2.

Check your original MPEG 2 hidef file to see if they are progressive or interlaced and then choose an encoding preset accordingly. My camcorder is HDV (1440X1080 interlaced) so I would need to choose the LP setting to match that.

See if that helps. Encoding a 2 hour hidef project will definitely take that long unless you have a very fast CPU.

Thanks for the tip on the Video Copy & Convert. I had no idea on that.

The project that is not working is just under 2 hours. As a test, I tried to make a folder set of only one small movie (2 minutes worth). It worked and did so extremely fast with "MPEG-2" setting. Something must be wrong with my bigger project. I guess I can recreate the project and see if that works.

I did use these exact same HD MPEG-2 files and created a SD DVD without any issue (with an upscaling DVD player these look awesome on a bigscreen TV).

Unfortunately, I don't think that MyDVD supports 'smart' render of hidef files yet, but you could try.

Open MyDVD

Select Blueray with menu project

When the screen is ready to edit, go to FILE / PROJECT SETTINGS.

MyDVD seems to default to AVC on my machine.

UNCHECK 'Fit to disc' and then change the video format to MPEG 2.

Check your original MPEG 2 hidef file to see if they are progressive or interlaced and then choose an encoding preset accordingly. My camcorder is HDV (1440X1080 interlaced) so I would need to choose the LP setting to match that.

See if that helps. Encoding a 2 hour hidef project will definitely take that long unless you have a very fast CPU.

I was already using the settings you mention.

I don't see an option for progressive or interlaced on the Blu-Ray project settings. I do see those on the regular DVD settings.

I don't see an option for progressive or interlaced on the Blu-Ray project settings. I do see those on the regular DVD settings.
The setting is preset only:

HQ 1920x1080 progressive, 28Mbps

SP 1920x1080 interlaced, 25Mbps

LP 1440X1080 interlaced, 20Mbps

EP 1280X720 progressive, 15Mbps

With AVC, resolutions are the same, but the bitrate isn't given.

post-49-1233071849.jpg

Archived